I love bird inlays...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Mar 7, 2018.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Love the birds on my McCarty Hollowbody II. My lightest guitar of 12 electrics. My next PRS will definitely have the solid Rosewood neck.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Get 'em on fleaBay, stick them on and be happy. IMG_2947.JPG

3. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I think, years ago, I saw one of the very first PRS guitars. It had birds. It was being played by a guy in a band called the Cherry People. This was in D.C., early 70's, at a place called the Bayou. Many beers and a long time ago so I could be wrong.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My two cents, I seem unable to avoid the PRS love / hate that is taking over this board. They are just, for me, the most comfortable and best playing instruments I have ever touched. They take everything I love about Gibsons (except the mojo) and fine-tune it into something that works just perfectly for me, or at least is the best I have ever seen. If I had a million bucks to design a guitar I would make sure the neck was precisely the same spec as my Korean-made SE One. The two PRS that I own are both plain-jane as can be, and that's cool with me too, but I would love to own a CE-22 and a McCarty one day. If they ever make a CE-22 in HSS I will start saving the pennies.
    The birds are a lovely example of old fashioned inlay work. Don't be a hater.

matrix, Jakedog, Bruxist and 2 others like this.
  5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

There's loads of great websites. Might take a long time but very rewarding

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I once inlaid dinosaurs in a 63ish Strat...

Jakedog, Alamo and teletimetx like this.
  7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You do realize, of course, that you will have to deal with the carnage when the angry mob hears about that... :lol:

Jakedog, teletimetx and Buckocaster51 like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Love my AVRI Strat, my MIM 69 Thinline, love my 2004 Custom 24 with 'boids'. I'd no longer get this for $2200 Australian. PRS US-made guitars have gone up. Standard coil split, fitted TBX - can do anything short of vintage.

FB_IMG_1520472909617.jpg

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm okay with the birds, not big on the rococo figured tops. I tend to be drawn to the Mira/Vela/S2 wood grain or solid colors. I doubt I'll ever buy one because I think I'm at or near the end of my electric guitar purchasing journey and there are so many untried guitars out there still, but who knows?

As for inlays, I lean more towards space themes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AAT65, Dacious, Alamo and 1 other person like this.
  10. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

The PRS model I've always kinda wanted: The David Grissom Trem (DGT). Alas, no birds on board (pun intended):

[​IMG]

11. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's okay...we painted it Emerald Green Metallic while we were at it. We called it the Lizardcaster.

By now it has probably been "cleaned up" and offered as an 8.5/10 guitar.

:)

Jakedog and Frodebro like this.
  12. WriteNoob

WriteNoob Tele-Meister

Those same 80's adds caught my eye, as well. Anything that wasn't Fender, Gibson, or pointy. Different, and classy. BTW, I've had a thing for the birds, ever since, as well.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Here’s my new Holcomb SIG it’s an animal.honestly can’t beat PRS they have so much to offer for the price paid.

0C86E590-16A2-4A66-88FD-3E07599AF7ED.jpeg

bullfrogblues, Frodebro and Jakedog like this.
  14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

The abalone birds look fine on US-built PRS, but not the cheesy plastic ones on the SE models. Should have stuck with plain dots on those imo. Generally I'm not a fan of fancy inlay, but I do like Patrick Eggle's 'falling leaves'.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.sarahjonesphotographic.co.uk/JS Legend 057.htm

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I like them as well. First PRS I saw in action was in Carlos Santana's hands - then, like the OP, Alex Lifeson's. Two of my favourite guitarists, so I gots to have one, right? Right?

Move on a few (many) years when I start to play the guitar and I'm also a fan of Mark Tremonti (another PRS player) and his single cutaway 2017 model is on offer - so I grabbed it and still enjoy playing it.

The "birds" are a nice feature, IMO, though I know there's some who regard PRS's as the "Devil's Own". Each to their own, as far as I'm concerned.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I would have bought this PRS DGT with or without birds.

The local guy who sold it to me made me such an amazing cash deal on it, that I couldn't pass it up.

I'm not super crazy about the color either, but it sounds and plays amazing, so I can accept the guitar like it is.

My '09 PRS DGT Sunburst 10-Top:

[​IMG]

Jakedog and bullfrogblues like this.
  17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like nice bird inlays too--in fact, I generally appreciate just really nice inlay work of most any kind.

However... On Fenders, I only want simple dots. And I strongly prefer clay dots on Fender rosewood boards, not pearl style. On maple, just black dots.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I think I probably still have just about every issue, from the mid-80s to the very early 90s. I haven’t really looked at them in at least twenty years - they’re stuck in a box out in the shop. I used to love getting those magazines every month. Memories.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I've got the "Absolute Junior" - the PRS SE ONE - Korina with Birds and Binding plus a wrap around Bridge and a single Soapbar with a Volume Knob. Through a Dry Fender Amp one can get The Son Seals Tone plus a whole lot more too. The One comes with the "wide fat" neck which is '59 style and it's a joy to play. They're discontinued and the bound neck ONE was only briefly available.

20. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Really like the outline birds - got a chance to play a maple fretboard PRS with outline birds that matched the body color at Sam Ash. If I would have had the $$$$, it would still be mine!

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.