I look up from playing guitar, and ....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

I think there was a black bear wandering around the NIH campus in Bethesda a year or two ago.

moosie likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe he thought you were harboring a groupie named Goldilocks.....;)

2blue2, Toto'sDad and moosie like this.
  3. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

I mean I’ve seen some grizzly sights when looking up from my guitar, but never an actual bear!

HappyHwy1owner, nojazzhere and moosie like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ya know what would have been really cool? If I could have got him to pose with my Tele!

Here, hold my beer. Watch this... :D

bear tele.jpg

Homeslice, esetter, skunqesh and 16 others like this.
  5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It’s pretty cool that you got photos. How long did the bear linger?

6. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Too cool Moosie!
    Just remember that bear will remember easy pickings...

DHart and moosie like this.
  7. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Afflicted

That's an awesome sighting Moosie! I had a mom cinnamon black bear and her two cubs come wandering through my yard a couple of years ago and camp out in my back yard for 9 hours. When they first showed up, I went out on my back porch and banged a couple of pans together to try and scare them off. The mom stood up on her hind legs and growled at me; I went back inside. It was a trip...totally ruined my plan to do yard work that day.

IMG_2280.JPG

8. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Is this what you were singing when he dropped by?

moosie likes this.
  9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

(For some reason I like this version better than Steven Fromholz's original.)

swany, moosie and src9000 like this.
  10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Back in 2007 my wife and I did the Rocky Mountaineer Train ride from Vancouver to Banf and then by coach to Toronto and we Al and Bear.jpg never saw one bear. Except the stuffed ones outside of gift shops and restaurants. I reckon they'd all gone for a Teddy Bears Picnic.. S:D:D

Toto'sDad and moosie like this.
  11. moosie

Yup. But the feeder happened to be dead empty. I was gonna fill it this evening, but I think I'll hold off a couple days.

I sit at a computer desk, with the window about two feet to my right. I saw movement in my peripheral vision, and there he was. It took my mind a few tries to understand what I was seeing. Then I snatched up the phone, frantically swiping for the camera. I don't think he was there for more than 30 seconds or so. Then he just ambled off across the property, and into the woods that separate us from the next yard. I was concerned because they have dogs, but I couldn't find their phone numbers. Did call another neighbor in his path, and left a voice mail warning them.

I hope he does OK, and that he never comes back. But I'm very glad I got to see him so close up. He really did look quite huggable. :lol: Except for the massive strength, and those claws.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  12. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

It's either a sign from God, or the frequency you were playing that attracted it

moosie likes this.
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

You guys think Oz has dangerous critters lurking about....:rolleyes:

apart from crocodiles in the tropics, there aren't many big land carnivores other than feral dogs/pigs to worry about in the bush.... and they'd be gone long before you saw them, if you are just walking around.......;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Too bad you didn’t see any bears on your trip. That’s bear country up in the Banff area. I was up that way in a place called Jasper (a little northwest of Banff) about 6 weeks ago on a motorbike trip and saw some young Black bears on the side of the road. Apparently we’ve got grissleys up there as well. They’re unstoppable so I’m glad I didn’t see any of those.

EDIT: I did the train ride from Vancouver to Jasper with my mum when I was 13. Summer of 1977. Hat was a great trip.

Owenmoney likes this.
  15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Next time his little buddy Boo Boo may come with him.

2blue2 likes this.
  16. moosie

Black bears aren't very dangerous, unless it's a mom with cubs, or a bear previously habituated to humans. Generally, they prefer to be left alone. They're all over where I used to hike, and as I said, I never once encountered one. Never spent a moment worrying about it, either.

Twice I came within spitting distance, though.

One time I was hiking alone, quietly cruising along a nice trail, stopping periodically to pick a few berries. They were everywhere. I came to a junction, and took the 50 yd side trail to a lake shore. Gawked at the view for a moment, and returned to the main trail. Smack in the center of the intersection, is a steaming pile of bear poop, which was mostly berries and berry seeds. It wasn't there a moment ago. I froze, looked around, then went on. Never did see the bear. But instead of running away, or attacking, I think this was his version of giving me the finger. Classy. :D

Another time, when I was around 20, I was hiking with a buddy, heading up the small mountain across the road from his cabin. It was early winter, with about 6 inches of fresh snow, and we were having fun, joking around, being pretty loud. As we neared the peak, we saw a perfect-looking bear cave, and sure enough, very fresh bear tracks heading down, moving fast. We woke him up! So, idiots that we were, we turned around and tracked him, hoping to ... what? Catch up? Say sorry? :lol: In short order, the tracks came on to the main trail, and were over our own tracks that we'd made just a minute earlier, heading up the mountain. A bit unsettling. So, we keep following, and then near the bottom, where the woods come to a quiet back road, the tracks take a sharp right, and disappear around a huge boulder. We stood there, I'm not sure why, talking for a minute, then went on, still following the tracks. Well, just on the other side, about five feet from where we'd been talking, was a huge butt print in the snow, next to the boulder. And tracks running back up the mountain, again, over the tops of the footprints we had just now made coming back down.

He had been hiding behind the rock, listening to us take our break! As soon as he heard us move, he took off. We were so close to him, and we never once saw him, or heard a thing. If it weren't for the tracks, we'd have had no idea.

esetter and JustABluesGuy like this.
  17. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

what caliber is your guitar?

2blue2 likes this.
  18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Criticizing the bear’s tone is not advised.

moosie likes this.
  19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

and yes, black bears can be dangerous. they have killed and eaten people here in Alaska. we worry mostly about the brownies but the blackies can be real trouble makers too. worse yet, they seem to be more comfortable around people than they used to be. when I was a kid we never saw a bear anywhere near town (Anchorage AK, now at 300,000 people). the town is 10x bigger, but now the buggers wander the streets. this summer I saw a mother and 3 cubs, in town, within a mile of the busiest heart of the city. couple years ago a friend had one enter the house. again, a mile from the center of town. people on the edges of town lose their chickens & can't put out the trash. anyway... when I was a kid.... never see 'em.... even out on the widest trails. might see their tracks still filling with water, but they knew better than to show themselves. now I see 'em inside city limits a couple times a year, and yes, I had a friend killed by a bear.

moosie likes this.
  20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow; he's a big boy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.