I loathe slotted tuners

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alerich, Jul 31, 2015.

1. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

One of the best things about slot tuners is no skin cuts from sharp string ends...and of course they're easier to use (IMO)...

2. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I think you're being a bit alarmist. It's a rare Fender (fat neck or no) where 1/5th of a pound would mean the difference between horrible neck dive or not. My current main Strat has a WD neck that I'd qualify as pretty chunky (about .95" all the way down), with a set of sealed Hipshot locking tuners, and a double-action truss rod, and it's not even remotely neck-divey. The body is basswood and clocks in at a hair under 4lbs unloaded, so it's not like it's got a lot of weight on the other end either. I dunno, maybe it's not an issue for me because Strats tend to balance better than Teles (all else being equal), simply by virtue of the upper strap horn.

Still, I think you're overestimating it just a wee bit. ;)

3. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I always liked the split shaft tuners and used them as much as possible.

But I have a new love.

I don’t really like Gibsons and I associate Grovers with them cringe when I see old Fenders that had their safety post Klusons style swapped out for Gibson-esque Grovers.

& I also have always disliked bulky complicated locking tuners.

But the Grover Mini Locking Rotomatic Machine Heads (406C6) are stupendous.

These are so smooth, they have a great turn ratio. They lock but they don't force you to cut the string (HATE auto-cut, i'll cut the string where I want to). You would never guess that these are locking by looking at them. They look just like regular machine heads. No extra mass, no ugly thumbscrews.

I would never change out split shaft for these but If I have a guitar with crummy tuners these are my first choice now. I have them on my Squire Standard and they are fantastic. I put them on because the OEM tuners were meh and I had a B & G bender on that guitar and wanted more stable tuning and a better turn ratio. They looked good and were surprisingly affordable so I rolled the dice with them and still am enamored.

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer split shaft and dont have any tuning issues .

5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have splits on my partscaster. I broke a high e string a month or so back and I didn't have to worry about unwinding the broken string as it shot straight out of the split and across the room.

Took me 2 weeks to find it. :lol:

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Split shaft tuners work well and are brilliantly designed, IMO.
    When I was a frustrated (frustrating) teenager, I booted my Oly White 62 Strat across my
    bedroom in frustration.
    I couldn't keep my string unwound strings from popping off my tuners.
    I didn't know the strings went into the center of the capstan (shaft).
    I kept installing them lengthwise.
    Doh, duh!
    I was not a bright kid.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You and me both. Except I was in my late 20s.

8. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

Why don't they make tuners with the hand crank built on to them? I hate having to hunt my hand crank every time I change strings. They can put a man on the moon but they cant put a crank handle on a tuner.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gibson hand then briefly in the late '70s to early '80s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I absolutely love slotted tuners. I've had several different sets on 90different guitars and they all have been great. They suffer very little string slippage, almost like locking tuners.
    The most important part of using slotted tuners is to put a sharp 90 degree bend in the string and do not cut it too short after the 90. Crank them up to pitch & they stay at pitch remarkably well for a long time.

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All my Fenders but one have slotted / safe-T / Kluson tuners.

I have the modern Ping? lockers, with their locating pins, on my 2012 Deluxe Tele. It's a decent guitar, but it's the second most likely to be sold on (after pulling the Lollars), so I'm leaving the tuners alone.

The AV69 Thinline's offset F tuners are split top, but the guts aren't as nice. No nylon bushing. So they >stick< when you first turn them. If only they'd have redesigned these to have a bushing like the normal Kluson types.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Weight in the headstock is NOT the same thing as weight in the area closer to the heel.

Don't say I'm overstating this. Show us.

And remember, once the guitar won't balance, then you gotta scramble around and try to fix it. You want us to dance around the edge when we don't have to.

13. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Anybody have a recommendation for a slotted tuner that would easily retrofit on my American standard to replace the staggered height tuners that I can't stand?

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not super easy, but easily doable if patient and using the right tools:

[​IMG]

This is a Highway One conversion but the process is identical. Oversized "Conversion" bushings of 10.0 mm and the crux of the conversion is using both a 1/16ths and a 3/32nds twist bit - watch the location and depth of those 7 holes. And I like a Hansen reamer to set the bushes to be pressed in. The bush should press back out without excessive difficulty.

Here's the '06 American series, which succeeded and later preceded the American Standard model:

[​IMG]

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boris, there are both 10mm and 10.5mm conversion bushings. I can never remember which bushing is for which guitar... Can you enlighten me?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.