I lived without a Tele for 1,5 years...

kalex

NEW MEMBER!
Yes. It is true.

It all started when I decided to replace the pickups on my Affinity Telecaster with better ones (Fender Tex Mex). The replacement went okay, it wasn't the first time I soldered something, but the first time I replaced the pickups on a guitar. With the new pickups in place, the 50 Hz buzz was really bad. It otherwise sounded good, but the the buzz was just so bad that it made the guitar unplayable.

I did not find any solution to this, and just forgot about the guitar. It was just hanging on the wall for 1,5 years.

Now, a while ago, I took it to a professional guitar technician. He added some extra grounding, and made all necessary adjustments such as intonation and grinding the frets (it had only the out-of-the-box adjustments). Now it sounds and feels good, and the buzz is even lower than on a MIM Tele! I feel a bit bad for not doing anything to the guitar for such a long time, because the Telecaster is just a great guitar.

Now the Tele is my main guitar. Sometimes I play my Strat and I like it, but the things that sound good on the Strat just sound a little bit better on the Tele.

The Telecaster was about 160 € new, the new pickups were 80 € and the adjustments were also 80 €. Based on this experience, I can say that replacing the pickups and adjusting a cheap Tele is really worth it. I play everything from clean to metal on it.

tele.PNG

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
In a few months, I'll "one up" you with a 45-year wait between Telecasters . . . and the one I get will look very much like yours.

upload_2021-12-29_15-25-43.png

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico:D It is amazing how like $75 spent, takes you to an old friend, who has been waiting for you to pick him up.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Yes. It is true.

It all started when I decided to replace the pickups on my Affinity Telecaster with better ones (Fender Tex Mex). The replacement went okay, it wasn't the first time I soldered something, but the first time I replaced the pickups on a guitar. With the new pickups in place, the 50 Hz buzz was really bad. It otherwise sounded good, but the the buzz was just so bad that it made the guitar unplayable.

I did not find any solution to this, and just forgot about the guitar. It was just hanging on the wall for 1,5 years.

Now, a while ago, I took it to a professional guitar technician. He added some extra grounding, and made all necessary adjustments such as intonation and grinding the frets (it had only the out-of-the-box adjustments). Now it sounds and feels good, and the buzz is even lower than on a MIM Tele! I feel a bit bad for not doing anything to the guitar for such a long time, because the Telecaster is just a great guitar.

Now the Tele is my main guitar. Sometimes I play my Strat and I like it, but the things that sound good on the Strat just sound a little bit better on the Tele.

The Telecaster was about 160 € new, the new pickups were 80 € and the adjustments were also 80 €. Based on this experience, I can say that replacing the pickups and adjusting a cheap Tele is really worth it. I play everything from clean to metal on it.

View attachment 934610
i like her..nice an clean ..ala natural...