I live next to a hero

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 20, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I was there for both of my son's births. I just kept looking at my wife's face. Haha
    But yeah that is quite an experience.
    I also was there for both circumcisions, on the day of, I think, or shortly after. I figured it was the least I could do, poor guys. :p

On a serious note-TD it always breaks my heart to think of your loss.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you BT, we stopped off after golfing Monday to visit his resting place. We had a pic of him as he often looked every day with his tee shirt and a light zip up work sweater on wearing his ball cap with his company logo on it put on his headstone. The big grin he is wearing was a part of him that I see in my mind every time I think of him. My daughter goes by too, I can usually tell when she's been there by the flowers she leaves.

william tele and blowtorch like this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm flattered when I get people of that vintage talking to me about their experiences. They are incredible, & I know that i'm lucky to have that pleasure in the moment.

My step dad is undergoing chemo at the moment. My dad is getting along in age. They both served. I have a photo album of my dad in the service roaming the world. In some photos he looks 16 & cheeky, hiding behind some *ahem* ladies, stationed in Japan somewhere. I never knew those pics existed & I cherish them. My sister gave me the album for my bday years ago.

I wish I was closer to be able to talk to my step father too, but he's not much of a talker. He's got bigger things going than me wanting his stories.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe try keeping at him some? I dunno.

I just recently had an old friend/bandmate pass, and I've got to play at the funeral this weekend.
    We'd not talked for years and I so regret not having told him I appreciated him more, while I had the chance, and now that opportunity is gone forever, in this life

It's strange, this getting on in years. When you're young you feel you have all the time in the world to do whatever and treat people however, and there's always time to sort it out later. And it's just not true, and when you start *really* realizing that, you start turning into a big softie

william tele and bender66 like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I delivered my second son. He has turned out a beautiful man. Responsible, loving, caring , hardworking, you name it. We have a loving relationship. Can't talk about circumcision. ( Rules).
    Was there for both births and apart from marrying my wife, now ex, best moments of my life.

Can't talk about my first- he's sort of not with us all anymore.

To be a hero takes many forms. I think, to be be kind, compassionate, strong and other qualities can make us all heroes in our own way. I wish you all well.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

P.S Computer error.
    I worked for a brickie who built the Thai / Burma railway brick bridges. He was fed well while his mates around him died. he went to his death with a hatred of the enemy. He would be so upset today.
    Anyway, old Tom, would tell me stories I can't repeat her for political reasons.

That film directed by Angelina Pitt was nowhere near the truth, those guys look healthy, and she used Australian staff.

"We can be heroes,
    Just for one day." David Bowie

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

We had a chance this weekend to meet Gale Halverson - The Candy Bomber!

My Nephew's High School just had a Grand Opening and he was one of the Guests of Honor. Their School's Mascot is "The Aviators" and they had arranged airplane fly-bys and 11 helicopters came an landed on the soccer Field - including one AH-64 Apache from the local Air National Guard base.

My kids were excited to meet a World-renowned Hero. They were a little starstruck even though they only kind of new who he was. We had a chance to sit down and take a picture with him. That will be a family treasure.

We spent some time learning about him after the fact and my kids are still in awe that they had a chance to meet him.

We truly are losing the "Greatest Generation." With them gone we will be doomed to make the same mistakes that they fought to correct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.