I live next to a hero

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Aug 20, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just had a nice chat with my neighbor. He's a 92 year old English gentleman. I saw he'd had brush out on the curb, and I think on his side of the street, that's a no-no. Saw a truck that was marked as a city parks department ranger pull up alongside the brushpile, and linger there. I was about to go up and knock on his window and ask if he was about to write a ticket or something, but then the truck pulled away.

So I went up to John's house and knocked on the door, and explained what I'd seen, and told him I'd hate to see him get a ticket, and I offered to take his brush (we have curbside pickup on my side of the street, and also city garbage pickup, the other side is all private contracting so they don't have city service).

He gratefully and gracefully accepted the offer, I told him I was just being a good neighbor, and he said "Oh, I know all about volunteering" and then told me about how he volunteered for civil defense/ambulance service at age TEN. He told me stories about riding his bicycle wearing a tin helmet with rockets falling on the city. It sounds like he served well beyond those tender years, as well. He said he had a piece of a german rocket that he'd grabbed back then, with the gyroscope still intact.

I told him I'd be happy to help with anything that comes up that he needs a hand with, and he said he's going to have more brush soon. so that's cool-I've GOT to get my sons over at some time to hear this guy's stories.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Holic

Good on you man. He’s of a dying breed.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. blowtorch

I am so humbled by this guy. When I was ten I was playing with toys, and he was wrapping up wounded soldiers in bandages

bender66, Toto'sDad and tubedood like this.
  4. deus56

deus56 TDPRI Member

Thank You.

Georox and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

My Father was a WWII veteran and passed away going on twenty years ago. We are losing more and more of these gentlemen everyday. They truly were a great generation.

esetter, deus56, bender66 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

It seems the true heroes among us usually carry themselves with a quiet dignity that I admire and aspire to someday attain. Until then I remain a loudmouth braggart, but I really do look up to people like that.

blowtorch likes this.
  7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Betcha’ll get at least one song outta the experience

8. blowtorch

I dunno, for me, writing songs is all about dumb stuff like motorcycles and werewolves and drinking and chicks and cars.
    This guy is WAY cooler than all that crap

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

No doubt...you’re cool enuff to put him to music with some band-aid

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Those people from that era were not perplexed by their phones only having 29% battery charge! My son's mother in law who has passed on lived in London during the war, it was spell binding listening to her tales of living through it. She was whisked out of the country to Wales, and begged so hard to go back to London to be with her family that they finally acquiesced and let her return to London. Her immediate family all lived. She said one morning she got up, and looked out the window and the pharmacy (drug store) was just gone! How close she came that night.

blowtorch likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Nice of you to step in and help the old fella out before the HOA had a chance to draw and quarter him! :)

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I love hearing stories from back then, My grandpa that brought me up served in the British merchant navy right through ww2. He ran away to sea at 13yo, lied about his age to join his brother and father at sea. Was in the Arctic convoy shipping supplies in to Russia, served in multiple continents through the war, sailed the suez canal, Malta, Africa, South pacific and to Australia, got arrested and locked up in Turkey in the early 40's with his brother for being in a drunken brawl in some dive bar. Was on a ship that was sunk but got rescued and pulled out of the ocean covered in oil. So many great stories and have his service books to confirm many of them. His father served in the Royal navy in ww1. Both from the slums of glasgow Scotland.

13. Toto'sDad

My first real job, one where you clocked in and got paid decently, I worked with an old fellow who I got to know really well over the years. Even hunted with him a few times. He had been in both the first and second world wars in the Navy. His son was also in the Navy in the second war, and became an officer who outranked him by quite a lot. One day, I saw him on a side road, when he was well past 80 in his old Jeep Pickup truck, that he'd had about as long as I knew him. He was hauling some plywood for a project and I came along just in time to help him get it loaded back in the truck, after it had come undone and fallen off. I helped him get it loaded and secured, and sent him on his way, not long after I read about his passing in the paper. He was truly of a different cut than the folks of today. He was a very self sufficient man and could do fabricate welding as good as anyone I ever knew.

14. blowtorch

That was the deal with John, tonight. He did have some hesitation at first. He said "I'm pretty independent, and I don't like to feel obliged to people". The man has a crushed vertebrae, and is hunched over in a way that is painful to see. I assured him there shouldn't be any feelings of being obliged, at all.

But I did tell him about three times that he was going to have to retell his stories to my sons, sometime

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My grandpa worked casual cash jobs and rode motorbikes until his final year, he passed at 86yo. I had to fetch him from a local bar when he was around 68 after he was arm wrestling a biker while drunk and the biker dislocated his shoulder. I was young but ready to throw down on the biker for messing with my grandpa. On the way to the bar I had it all planned out on how I was going to bash this guy but thankfully he was gone by the time I arrived to take my grandpa to the hospital to have his shoulder popped back in. his father served in both wars, they used to sail on some steam powered ships I wouldn't want to step foot on. I've got a cool pic of my grandpa breaking ice off the bow of a old ship in the arctic ocean somewhere.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Deeve, blowtorch and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

It would be good to preserve those recollections in some way, if he's cool with that...

maybe the kids could "interview" him and ask some questions on a vid/audio.... the candid responses off the top of his head might be interesting... :)

bender66 and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Seriously, good on ya for helping him. I'm an old guy myself, but for whatever reason, I'm still going pretty strong. My brother in law came by to see us the other day, and told my wife, damn woman, you still look like a racehorse! Pretty fine compliment for her, and made me proud. We played golf on Monday at HER insistence. We have only missed our nightly walk a couple of times this year, she says if we quit moving, we'll quit moving for good!

blowtorch and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. blowtorch

He said he's been working on a book of his memories.
    He told me he also worked in NJ and delivered a baby and that was worse than the wartime stuff :p

Chunkocaster, Toto'sDad and trev333 like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I just gotta add when people from what I think of as the golden era of man tell stories, I don't care if they are true, or might be true, or if even a little bit of it's true, I want to hear each and every one of them. I figure every time I hear one of their stories it might be the last time I get to have that experience. In my case it could be either one of us who isn't there later!

20. Toto'sDad

I was there for my oldest son's birth, sheesh, why didn't somebody, anybody warn me?! Pretty cool experience though if you survive it. He came into this world in a hurry, and lived in a hurry, I guess he knew from the start he wouldn't be here too long.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.