I likes my Fenders heavy

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by kmaaj, Mar 16, 2014.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You don't say! :p:p

I wanna agree with having never known what any of my guitars weighed before I began lurking here.

However, I still don't do "precision weighing" of whole guitars. I wanna know how much Tuning Machine Model X weighs per set and Model Y, I wanna know which bridges are heavy or not, trem blocks, truss rod assemblies, control plate assemblies. I wanna know the weight differential between the body, and the neck I propose to pair.

But, once the whole thing is assembled and plays and sounds great, and it balances, from that point on it weighs what it weighs and whatever it is, it won't be changing. So, why would I even need to weigh it - what difference could it make? :D

So, unless the dealer or someone else weighed it, or unless I sit down and add up the weights I know about of the subassemblies, I'm just giving you an honest estimation of the weights of some of my guitars and guitar projects. If these are guesses I will try to say so more in the future.

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

even non guitarists can recognize a light guitar. My brother who never played picked up my 7lbs tele and said, "wow this is as light as my shotgun!" I asked how much does his shotgun weigh? 7lbs.

3. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

The whole reason I bought the tele I have is because it was heavy... (well, and because it sounded good, and I liked the neck.) It makes playing my strat seem like I'm wearing a light jacket.

4. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

i've always liked the feel of heavier guitars and basses, don't know why, but i know what i like.

5. MacQuarrie

MacQuarrie Tele-Meister

I don't really have the playing experience to justify a response but I'm kind of an old school guy. The heavier something is the more reliable it is. Stereo components, video equipment, etc just always seemed to be weight equals quality.

6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My first Strat and Tele ('72 and '82) were both heavy and so is the '81 "The Strat" that I have. I've also got some light to medium weight Fenders and Rickenbackers and like a lot of you I never gave it any thought until the last several years when it became such an issue.

I do have one friend who has terrible back problems and can barely play standing up even with an acoustic so I do understand some people actually needing a light guitar. I had back surgery last year and have another one scheduled soon and none of my guitars give me much of a problem. The thing that really bugs me now is that it seems that so many people are convinced that a light guitar sounds better that I'm now nervous about buying anything that I can't play first unless I know it is relatively light weight because I know it will be harder to sell if it isn't a keeper.

Funny that none of the bass players I know are overly concerned with finding basses that are under 7.5 pounds. :lol:

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Some people are all messed up and the cause has nothing to do with playing even if playing is now added to one of the activities that aggravates the condition. I have Spondylosis aka bilateral pars fractures in L5. Never know how my back will feel when I play standing up. Many times it's fine, other times leg goes numb within 20 minutes and I get a stabbing pain. Lighter guitars are less likely to set me off but sometimes they do as well.

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I never used to know - or care - what my guitars weighed. But as I have got older the heavy ones are hard work for a whole night's gig.
    And I find that with a lighter guitar I play with a wee bit more attack and move around more.

9. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

My Tele is a little on the heavier side. It's a CBS era guitar and supposedly it was common to the era and one of the markers of reduced quality. I've always liked it, it's what I'm used to. Heavy but not ridiculously heavy.

Ridiculously heavy is my friend's old solid ash Peavey T-40 bass. That thing is an anchor. I draw the line there.

10. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Fat chicks need lovin too. :D

11. 1962guitargeek

1962guitargeek Friend of Leo's

what a timely thread...

My bigsby equipped teles never bothered me until recently. The one I played 2 weeks ago left my back wracked in pain for days...

Had a dr. appt. yesterday, she discovered that I have bone spurs now in addition to my deteriorating discs...:(

I have 2 of them, I will try de-Bigsby-ing one & see if that helps...wish me luck...

12. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I always think that as far as weight, back, etc. go, how can the difference between 7-8-9 pounds make much difference. I guess bass players are real men.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah; those are osteophyte formations; the body is trying what it can to try and stabilize those levels and the body is doing a bad job of it.

You may wanna find something feather weight. Taking off a pound of guitar won't actually do all that much. The other approach is dropping 20 pounds of Your body if you can stand to. Works better, normally! :)

14. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Made me laugh..

Back in the day we liked heavy guitars. My 73 Tele from High School is 8.6 lbs. Doesn't bother me at all. It's got a Cavilier Lion and a Rob Di rewound neck and 250k pots. Was playing it last night, it is righteous. Funny, it doesn't ring out when unplugged, you don't feel the bass strings vibrate in your gut if you know what I mean, I have a few lighter teles that do but plugged in it wails.

15. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Mister I am part of the light guitar crew.....and always have been..they sound better they resonate better..they are lighter...Hold on here ?? I reluctantly bought a 1973 telecaster last August...and well it plays fantastic sounds awsome and weighs around 9 to 9'5lbs ..By far the heaviest guitar I own and I love it and I play it on stage. I like my light guitars but this heavier one kind ruins my light is always better theory..I really really like my no notch poly heavy 73...I have other vintage gutiars as well and that doesn't ruin my 73 I like it and you are not wierd..well not in that sense anyway..

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I too never even considered weighing my guitars before I joined this forum.

Since then I bought a digital postal scale and now I know what they all weigh down to the last fraction of an ounce.:rolleyes: But it doesn't really matter to me what that is. My back is in good shape and I haven't gigged in years so the weight issue is irrelevant.

Having said that, my preference is somewhere in the middle, anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5lbs, but my number one guitar, my '73/74 Tele Custom, is 8lb 12oz and I'm absolutely fine with it.

17. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Seems like those who like lighter guitars also like the heaviest amps. Lugging amps hurts my back more than the weight of my guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.