1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I like the 7.25 radius

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Jan 1, 2021.

1. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I've got a 7.25 Strat and a 9.5 Tele with the same Soft V contour. Both are comfortable to me, but I do end up playing the 9.5 more. I still like the 7.25 but I do get why some people don't. I've noticed I've got to approach bends a little differently on the 7.25,be a bit more gradual and not overbend. Otherwise yep, I am a 7.25" radius fan! :)

Rockinvet likes this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I honestly would say I wouldn’t have even felt a difference, before I was told about different types.

a good feeling neck is a good feeling neck. There are great examples of every radius, and very poor examples.

a guitar is easy and fun to play, or it isn’t. I like 7.25 necks, all the way up to classical necks.

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

It’s what I like, I won’t buy a 9.5 fender. It narrows the choices way down for me though

Rockinvet likes this.
  4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Honest question for y'all who prefer the 7.25 inch radius and vinyage style frets- do you play a lot of bends or a lot of barre chords?

I prefer a flatter radius with bigger frets, but I play a lot of open chords and my lead style is quite bendy. I wonder if that is the reason.

nicknklv and Rockinvet like this.
  5. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm fine with 7.25, and same goes with 9.5, and even 12. I can work with any of them just fine. Most of my guitars are 9.5, but I have the others as well. All good. Same with different fret sizes, I can work with most any of them. Perhaps that's just because I rotate through playing most of my guitars, and there are a good number of them. :)

Happy New Year, ya'll!

Rockinvet likes this.
  6. JRShotgun

JRShotgun TDPRI Member

stnmtthw, I also play a lot of bends, multiple strings, or holding one or more notes while bending another. I find the pressure I put holding down on the stationary notes can squeeze them sharp when playing larger or taller frets. If the action is set right I don't have any issues with "choking out" bent notes on the 7.25 radius.

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i like them all and really don't feel a huge difference in playing- as long as the action is fairly low it does not seem to really matter to me. I remember buying my first 7.25 and reading all about how you can't bend etc- I've owned 5 or 6 of them now and have never had an issue with fretting out

DHart, Rockinvet and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I first started playing on shredder guitars with 12" radius boards (or 10"-16" compounds) and jumbo or super jumbo frets.

Most of the guitars I've owned in the last 2 decades have had 9.5" radius boards and medium jumbo or tall narrow frets.

I built a reverse Esquire a few years ago as a jazz guitar and the neck I happened to pick up on a deal had 7.25" radius and vintage small frets. It ended up being my most comfortable neck. More recently when I ordered my first custom neck from Parklane Guitars, I ordered a Fat U with 7.25" radius, 1-11/16" nut width, stainless steel vintage frets (cures the "small frets wear out too fast" and most of the bending issues) and rolled board edges. It's a beast, but it is also one of my favorite necks. If they are set up properly, I find 7.25" necks VERY comfortable, not only for rhythm, but even pedal steel stuff, chicken pickin and blues.

No one was more surprised by this than me.

DHart and Rockinvet like this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Never had a problem with a 7,25" radius.
    There's no real difference from a 9" or 12" radius anyway.
    The "problem" with those vintage necks is most likely the tiny frets they come with.
    My 7,25" necks all have 6150 frets and play like a dream.

Rockinvet likes this.
  10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

7.25” plays great and with a low action after a good fret job. One of the biggest overlooked factors is that the issues caused by fretting out can be partly mitigated by playing style. This is both not overdoing attack and something with the fretting hand I can’t really explain, but had to get used to. It’s like you have to be more careful with the pressure throughout the bend.

Four of my guitars are 7.25” and I notice more difference moving between neck profiles than between 7.25” and 9.5” radii.

11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I play in open E, so entirely barre chords, almost. Not a tremendous amount of big bends, mostly vibrato.

stnmtthw likes this.
  12. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

For Fenders (or other T/S style guitars), I'm all about 7.25" radius boards. It just feels right. With a proper setup, I have no issues with bends or 'choking out.' For those who struggle with playing the vintage radius, my advise would be to approach it with a bit a lighter touch (even with leads and bending). 7.25" with vintage frets won't be as forgiving if you're really squeezing hard.

13. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have a 52 RI with a 7.25"m radius neck. I love the sound of the thing but hate the neck. I.m in the minority here but my hands get cramped playing it. It is great for some things but doing a 4 hour gig with it is a problem.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Yep, I like mine, it's fine, it's very comfortable, especially if the neck has some meat on the bone :)

I get along with 9-1/2", 10", 12" & 16" radii too.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's odd, because I have an AV Tele Custom with the 7.25 radius, and never notice any discomfort when I actually do play. I had been considering buying a second hand American Deluxe Tele, but played one for a couple of hours at my brother in laws house. My hands were killing me, actually developed cramps in my left hand. I passed on the American Deluxe.

Rockinvet likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

After posting about the American Deluxe I realized the neck radius was probably not the problem, maybe it was just too thin of a neck. I play a Martin MMV more than my Tele, and it has a 16 degree radius. So...

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

My favorite neck of all time is an early 60's Oval C Shaped neck with a 7.25 radius.

[​IMG]

Rockinvet and Matthias like this.
  18. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I like that radius quite a bit. The struggle for me and “vintage” Fender features are the small frets.

Rockinvet likes this.
  19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have guitars with various radii. No compounds, but 7,25 to 12".

Two of my favorites are my Allparts TRO-V 7.25 and my AV58 "D" neck with the 7.25 radius.

I guess I'm not too critical about neck radius. Overall neck profile is more important to me.

El Tele Lobo and Rockinvet like this.
  20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have both a Strat and a Tele I built with 7.25" necks. The Strat neck I made is one piece figured maple with a baseball bat thickness. The tele I made with birds eye maple, a blood wood fretboard and a more typical thickness. Neither one is hard to play, nor to they give me any problems with fretting out.

radiocaster and Rockinvet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.