1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I like the 7.25 radius

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

For some reason I still like the smaller radius neck. Back in the day when I had my 67 tele, I love that neck. I’ve tried a relic last year same thing, loved it. Many people do not like them but I find it rather comfortable. Does anyone else like them?

VWAmTele, howardlo, Wallaby and 11 others like this.
  2. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Like yourself, I have played these since '67 and it never was anything that was thought about or considered. I liked the feel and that was pretty much it.

nickmsmith, Wobbles and Rockinvet like this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Yep, I like the 7.25” radius, but I can deal with Gibsons which are in the 10”-12” range. I have tried flatter but I wasn’t a fan. Too difficult for barre chords. I always had the impression that people like flatter radii to do monster bends. Not really important for me.

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Me too. I prefer it.

Rbert0005 and Rockinvet like this.
  5. cbnutt

cbnutt Tele-Afflicted

Yes , i dont want nothing elee if i can help it , and VERY small frets .

6. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Really, we didn't have a lot of choices. I mean I was a beginner player in the late 60s early 70's and that was a bout all we had. But maybe the 70's started with 9.5, Im not sure. Someone here knows.

7. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I kind of wish my American Original ‘50s had a 7.25” fretboard, so I could have a more authentic early 1950s experience playing it. Which makes just one reason why I should have bought a 1952 AVRI. But I’m not going to let it bother me. If there’s one thing I do on solid body guitars, it’s bend.

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. Me too. It feels "right" to me.

I can compromise a little bit on frets, going a little bigger than "vintage" size, as long as the board has the old-school curve to it. E.g. Most first-decade G&Ls were like this: curvy board, but with medium frets dressed low – and they play great to me. But I won't pay American Original prices for a guitar that doesn't have the 7 1/4" radius. At that price point, I don't compromise on my desired fretboard specs. I'd rather buy two Vinteras than an AO, for that reason alone: skinny frets and old school radius.

You can put up pictures of how "close" 7 1/4" and 9 1/2" are...but they don't explain the difference in feel. You really feel it at the edges of the board, and on the outer strings...and if you aren't primarily a lead player.

Also, many old Gibsons actually came with curvier boards than they are popularly known for. They seem closer to 9 1/2" or 10" than to the 12" that most people state, in my experience playing "vintage" ones over the years. The best playing Gibsons I have ever played are the ones with these curvier boards. I played a first generation ('54 style) Les Paul Custom with a board like this, and fretless wonder frets (very skinny, very low, and uncrowned/flat-topped). Best playing and sounding Gibson I've ever played. I wanted it so badly, but I didn't have $20,000.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm fine with the 9.5" radius. Probably a fair amount amount of 7.25" ones got close
    to that when a fingerboard was planed prior to a re-fret.

Rockinvet likes this.
  10. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I have always preferred the 7.25" radius neck on my Fender Guitars. I have two Telecasters with the 9.5" and I like that as well. But given the choice, I go with the 7.25" radius.

Rockinvet likes this.
  11. JRShotgun

JRShotgun TDPRI Member

I too like the 7.25 radius. Most (not all) telecasters I have played with the 7.25 radius also had smaller vintage type frets. This may contribute to that "feel" that we tend to like. Just my 2 cents.

El Tele Lobo and Rockinvet like this.
  12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I really like the 7.5 radius for my Fender type guitars. I have two that have it &
    they play fine. But, I have 3 that have the 9.5 & they are good, also.

I think I prefer the 7.5...

Rockinvet likes this.
  13. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

It is possible that the higher crown makes the neck more rigid, all else equal, and so less likely to have dead spots/weak-tone areas.

My main focus is on bass guitar, where I think neck stiffness has a big effect on dead spots and tone in general, but I haven't tried such a radius on a bass (and I don't remember whether or not it matters on 6-string guitars).

Rockinvet likes this.
  14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I like the 7.25" neck as well, and right now (as usual :) ), I'm struggling about which of these two guitars to keep:

1) Blonde AVRI '52 that weighs 7 lbs.
    2) Blonde RW '50s that weighs 6 lbs 9 oz.

Rockinvet likes this.
  15. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Played 7.25 R guitars as long as I can remember. Feels like home.

Rockinvet likes this.
  16. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Had a Baja neck on an Am. Special Telecaster, which was a huge improvement on the original "Modern C" neck it came with. Then I tried a Vintera 50s Tele. Liked the 7.25" radius so much I bought a Vintera neck for my Tele. I also have 7.25 on my Jaguar. Everything else I own is 9.5 or flatter, which I'm ok with, but the 7.25 radius just feels right. I think Fender should offer the option of a 7.25 or 9.5 neck on their upper-mid range and higher guitars. The only ones that come with it are a few 50s spec models.

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have 7.25 on a couple but don't play them as much anymore.

The 9.50 just feels better these days.

4pickupguy and Rockinvet like this.
  18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I think the thing I like about those necks is the skinny vintage frets, not the radius. I have a cheap Oscar Schmidt Strat, that I'm pretty sure is a 9.5" radius, but has the skinny frets, and it feels great.

Rockinvet and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

My Teles are 9.5" or more. I've posted this before, but I have a Burn Brian May with a 7.25" radius and I love it.

Rockinvet likes this.
  20. King-of-Tone

King-of-Tone TDPRI Member

The 7.25 radius just feels better to me playing barre chords. Playing "I fought the law" on a flatter neck doesn't feel right.

Rockinvet and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.