I like old timey gospel music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thanks to people like Alan Lomax, we have these lil gems of music today. These guys were simply awesome IMO. Stunning talent and I wish I could've been in the room when they sang! It must've been amazing. Hope you like it!

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
I'm generally more into the black styles, particularly quartet style, but it's been my experience that most bluegrass and country acts (don't know about the modern country-pop groups) will include some gospel in their sets, often as a closer. Some of it's terrific;

This is from Emmy Lou's excellent gospel album

Last edited:

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
"Gimme that old time religion, gimme that ole old time religion, gimme that old time religion (when they "fill in the blank")...

- used to burn witches at the stake.

- thought left-handed people were evil (Jimi Hendrix excepted).

- thought seizures were due to evil spirits.

- thought that the earth was flat.

- thought that the sun rotated around the earth.

- thought "the blues" was Satan's music.

Etc...

An old radio preacher I heard long ago said, "You can't have a dancing foot and a praying knee." A different radio preacher said, "The only sanctified music is country music." --- as if the Messiah sat around a campfire with Hank, Willie and Garth singing songs about trains, trucks and drinking! "Tonight I'm gonna drink this whiskey down and my ring's gonna come unwound." Sanctified. Yeah.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I think Amazing Grace just says it all. I don't know all the words and maybe I play the wrong style but it does make me feel good. My preacher says it doesn't matter how I play it as much as why. I also consider Sunday Morning Coming Down to be one of the greatest gospel songs ever written he said he had never thought about that but it makes sense. He's a good guy and easy to talk to. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Try doing it as a SLIDE tune. Works fantastic!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Gospel might be the key to bringing folks together and unifying this country. First, it carries a positive message we could all sure use. And it's at the core of both black and white music - both country and blues. And it allows for a wide range of expression. Take "Amazing Grace," for instance. I've heard it played on bagpipes, sung by soul choirs, and done by bluegrass players - and it's great every time. Now there's a song with heart and soul that everyone needs! There might be something here, or is it just me?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
There have been hypocrites diluting the good as long as people have been alive, Mowgli.

I'm sorry for your pain.

Like Ira Louvin, Carter Stanley was a hypocrite. They both sang about heaven and drank like hell. He died of cirrhosis at age 41. It's a conundrum wrapped in a paradox for sure.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Gospel might be the key to bringing folks together and unifying this country. First, it carries a positive message we could all sure use. And it's at the core of both black and white music - both country and blues. And it allows for a wide range of expression. Take "Amazing Grace," for instance. I've heard it played on bagpipes, sung by soul choirs, and done by bluegrass players - and it's great every time. Now there's a song with heart and soul that everyone needs! There might be something here, or is it just me?
I really liked what you had to say. Well said and kudos!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I really liked what you had to say. Well said and kudos!

Thanks! I figure this country needs to heal from within, and the government can't do it, so it's up to us as individuals. We're not all that different when you think about it. We all face most of the same challenges and try to raise good kids and want the best for them. And sharing faith and music is a good starting point.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's

Gospel tunes in general are peoples' music; they were meant to be sung by congregations in churches, so are very accessible as tunes. If you can actually get people to sing together, whether it's gospel, work songs, protest songs, or just singing for the joy of it, it will bring people together like little else. This has been used to some extent- for instance Dorothy Love Coates (best gospel singer ever) was a major figure in the civil rights movement, traveling with Martin Luther King, appearing at rallies and such. In a more modern way, there's been a lot of "video conferencing" of music in the last couple of years- nothing like live music, of course, but it does pull people together to an extent. Am I babbling yet?????

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Elihu -

Not sure what you mean by your usage of the word "hypocrite."

History is often an exercise whereby it is repeatedly shown that when knowledge displaces ignorance humanity advances.

In the absence of knowledge (i.e. ignorance - which is derived from the Greek word "gnosis" meaning "knowledge") human beings are/were left with few options by which to understand the world around them.

Historians call the long period of time where draconian religious rule existed "The Dark Ages" for a reason. Most attempts to examine the natural world or challenge the status quo and learn beyond that which was sharply circumscribed by the rulers were met with pain and/or death. Here, religion and rule were self-reenforcing. As an American I reject such "tyranny of the mind." - Tommy Jefferson.

Back in the good ole days:

Some said I don't know and pursued methods to find out an answer. Sir Isaac Newton comes to mind immediately.

Others didn't care enough to try and find an answer.

Others were told by their rulers what to believe and they did as they were told... and remained alive.

Others rejected their rulers' demands and paid various dues for their disobedience; consider Galileo and Copernicus.

Regardless, the post was NOT about hypocrisy.

Rather it was a post about a Gospel song celebrating "old time religion" when a more honest reexamination of "old times" is, perhaps, more appropriate. The classic movie "Inherit the Wind" - a commentary about the Scopes Monkey trial and anti-science attitudes - is a great example of when demagogues like William Jennings Bryan repeatedly harkened back to a better time... a time that is only better if it is romanticized. Telecasters didn't exist when many of the old Gospel tunes or religious symphonies were composed. And neither did HVAC systems.

To illustrate that further I mentioned two things I heard on the radio decades ago and found "anachronistic" even for the 1970s. The fact is that no credible religious scholar would give credence to such hilariously ignorant comments about "a dancing foot and praying knee" or "country music" being "sanctified." Such statements sounded at the time as if they were made "in earnest" by well-meaning but sadly ignorant radio preachers. They did not strike me as being the prosperity doctrine grifter/preachers we often encounter today who just want access to our pockets.

After all, country music didn't exist 2000 years ago nor was it played on any of the popular radio stations in the ancient Roman territories at the time (Everyone knows Mary and Joseph preferred early Heavy Metal like Blue Cheer & Blue Oyster Cult because their baby's eyes were blue like all Semites of that era.).

So there was no hypocrisy implied or inferred. Sorry you misinterpreted this. Hope this clarifies things.

BTW, my grandfather was a minister. One of his favorite sayings was, "Whenever anyone tells you how religious they are, keep an eye on your wallet."

He also told the "busy bodies" who complained about hypocrites in the church that "Church is where hypocrites need to be. Where else are they going to hear the good news?"

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Of course, I like other stuff as well but old gospel tunes float my boat. Here is a short medley of I'll Fly Away, I Saw the Light, and Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

I don't know if this was recorded at the Ryman but it's a country super group playing and singing. Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Vince Gill, Charlie Pride, Allison Kraus, and quite a few others. Hope you enjoy and feel free to post other tunes.

I grew up listening to my mother’s old gospel records and still love that music
But , l’m very traditional and refuse to acknowledge anyone that doesn’t have enough respect to take his hat off. Just like standing for the National Anthem

Last edited:

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Gillian Welch has done some gospel - By the Mark probably being the best known. Here's one from her Lost Songs collection:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Those who accuse gospel singers who drink of being hypocrites might want to pry the beam out of their own eyes. Hank Williams wrote and released what have been adopted as gospel songs under both his name, and that of his alter ego Luke the drifter.

I know because I've been there, drinking AND singing gospel songs. I finally broke my drinking habit but when I did drink, and sing gospel music, I was no less sincere, perhaps even more so, since the alcohol lifts the inhibitions from your heart. I know lots of guys who've written sincere songs that could be classified as gospel. Some of them were dedicated drinkers. Some of them you would recognize their names if I gave them.

Status
Not open for further replies.