I like music. I don't want it everywhere

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Good grief. Do we need piped in music everywhere? I went to home Depot. Couldn't find what I need and the hangry kicking in. Bells and alerts going off all over ..and Muzak on top of it all.

Do we need this everywhere? What value does it provide?

My oldmanitis is also kicking in big time today.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Music should be a treat, not wallpaper.

3. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+!. I'm always surprised when people say they have never heard today's pop and hip hop -- are they not going into any stores or malls?

Then there's the crusty forum member (CFM) who claimed where he lived it's all rockabilly:

me: you go to the mall and they're playing...
    CFM: rockabilly.
    me: a punk pulls up to you at a red light, his windows rolled down, sub thumping, and it's...
    CFM: rockabilly.
    me: you yell upstairs to the kids..
    CFM: turn down that rockabilly!

aerhed, KCKC and verb boten like this.
  5. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Depot often play the BeeGees. I was hoping to get away from that crap from the 70's/80's(disco) and they're still cramming it down our throats!

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Retailers may believe some suggestions it may influence buying behavior.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm maybe kinda odd for a guitar player. Seldom listen to music when I'm in a car or whatever. Prefer talk radio, the news, old time radio shows. I'm still ticked Car Talk is off the air! Being dead is no excuse for one of the Tappit Brothers to retire from radio.

KyAnne, P Thought, stevemc and 4 others like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

it devalues music, period

they even put outdoor speakers on lampposts in the fake new village neighborhood

we live in a fake world

BobbyZ, catdaddy and Teddyjack like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to question why people walked around with headphones\earbuds on in public ... Now i understand ... It's so they don't have to be bombarded with crap ...

BobbyZ and ClashCityTele like this.
  10. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

A few years ago I was working in a grocery store and the most taxing part of the job was hearing the same 15 songs on the radio there for years straight. It was mind numbing. Sometimes it would mix in a few other numbers though and I would get some stuff like Ride like the Wind and Baker Street, It was a few minutes of peace before the next hit pop song rolled in for the third time in one shift

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'm going to extend this thought to live music as well.

I go to restaurants to eat, and maybe talk to the people I came with. I absolutely did NOT go to hear a guy playing Jimmy Buffet covers.

I was at the airport the other day, and a bluegrass band was playing in the baggage claim. They weren't really playing that loudly, but in a giant concrete and glass echo chamber it drowned out the announcements, which meant I didn't hear when they changed my baggage carousel. After a week of 4/5 hours a sleep a night on top of the annoyance of being at an airport in general (and a slight hangover), I was not amused.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My complaint would be less what I encounter while shopping, and WAY MORE the background/mood music of movies and TV dramas. I'm sure a lot of it is due to my aging ears, but too often dialogue is completely over-powered by the music. I understand the value of enhancing emotions with music and other sound effects, but turn it down (or off) when the characters are talking. British, and other European produced films seem to be much worse about this....I don't know if it's American technology or production techniques that are superior, or what? Please don't recommend closed captions.....those (like subtitles) are even more distracting than the music itself.

notmyusualuserid and Skub like this.
  13. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

I have a hard time listening to the local radio in my car too...it’s like how many times do I have to hear Sweet Home Alabama this hour ? How many times do they have to play Take the money and run ? It’s like all of these artists have tons of good songs why do we have to only cycle through two of their hits forever ?!

Bassman8, BobbyZ, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  14. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I worked in the produce section of a grocery store when I was a kid. At one point, they put a Chiquita banana kiosk in the department that ran the same 30 second commercial ALL FREAKING DAY LONG.

I'M CHIQUITA BANANA, AND I'VE COME TO SAY,
    YOU SHOULD EAT BANANAS EVERY SINGLE DAY!

The first thing we did after the produce manager left for the day was unplug that stupid thing. It's not like he loved it either, but he couldn't let us turn it off. Once the store manager came over just after the produce manager left, and after asking me some work related question, jerked her thumb at the banana kisok and said "are you gonna unplug that damn thing, or what?"

15. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

*In my dreams* :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The most intrusive music of all is what’s coming out of the car next to mine. Something is seriously wrong if I can hear it over my music with my windows rolled up.

Could that guy’s hearing loss be worse than mine? :confused:

17. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I ride a Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe and mainly WITHOUT other riders. I can't stand when a another rider has a stereo system on their bike and they have to play their music SO LOUD to be able to hear it over their loud exhaust. The only person who can hear the music well enough (I suppose) to enjoy it is the rider and maybe his' or her' passenger. To everyone else it is just noise and it is even worse if they have loud sub woofers. I'd rather ride by myself or with others who are like minded, enjoying the ride, the scenery and the sound of the engines.

DHart, bcorig, KyAnne and 4 others like this.
  18. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I am particularly found of Muzak's cover of Surrender by Cheap Trick.

BobbyZ, Boil, Harry Styron and 2 others like this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I gotta beef with cars with massive subs that you can hear a block away: *thump* *thump* *thump*.

I'd love a magic clicker that you could press and cause their unit to catch fire ... just a little bit :twisted:

20. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Back in the.....well, 'olden days'....ahem!...it seemed like you would hear a ****ty Muzak version of 'Born Free' playing in every elevator you entered.

Oh, the irony!

mad_men_elevator.jpg

bcorig, BobbyZ and Harry Styron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.