I like both kinds of bass - Precision and Jazz

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by w3stie, Feb 24, 2016.

1. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

I also like both kinds of bass P and J, however I prefer flats on the P and rounds on the J

manstrom likes this.
  2. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

Leo's other great Bass... I'll add one of those to the collection some day.

3. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

You can't go wrong with either a Precision or a Jazz.

4. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Basses are like guitars. It´s nice to have a few. :D

The one I play mostly is a cheap Epi EB-3. I like everything about it. The look, the feel, the sound.

I am slowly acquiring parts for building a Fender P Hot Rod look-alike which I beleive will be the ultimate one. :rolleyes:

68Telebass likes this.
  5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Couldn't disagree more. I love short scale basses and plan to get one again.

There is a sound you get with a short scale that you cannot get with a 34".

And it's a good sound.

6. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

That's my take on it too. A Short scale bass hitting a low E can sound every bit as rich and full as P or J bass. There's an element of macho posing in bass size sometimes. Though posing the question "are you man enough for 34"? could get you in a lot of trouble, so I won't go there.

7. ac15

I think the "macho posing" you are referring to comes from a suspicion that guys who play short scale basses are really guitar players who are incapable of playing a 34" scale bass.

I find playing 34" basses easy. But as I said earlier, they do not sound the same as a short scale and I happen to like both sounds.

For example, though it seems counter intuitive, You can get closer to the sound of an upright with a short scale than you can with any full scale bass.

8. dezb1

dezb1 Tele-Holic

I had a shortscale violin bass, only reason I sold it was to fund another guitar. The short scale length was nice.

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I'll defer to your greater experience and I agree that short scale can indeed sound different to long but my limited experience has been that a short scale strung with flats can sound practically identical to long. The feel and approach for the player is obviously different.

10. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of short scale basses, A Honer Ignition & a Harley Benton 'Shorty' P bass. Two great sounding bass guitars. I only record with them these days sat at the PC desk as they're not as cumbersome as a full size Bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Precisions work for me. I have a '73, and a RI '63. I also have a G&L 5-string which I would be reluctant to part with, and a short scale (Pawn Shop Mustang) which is fine, but I still wonder whether or not to keep it...

I thought I didn't like Jazz basses, bound necks, and block markers, until I tried a friend's '72 Jazz :eek:

12. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

5595, do you find any compromises with the P/J basses over just the P's?
    I've been shopping around for the right P (w/ maple) recently to complement my Jazz (w/ rosewood) and started to drift towards the P/J's. Otherwise, they seem like hey just make so much more sense, so long as the P's pickups are positioned identical to their non-P/J counterpart?

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of my favorite basses was a P/J, old precision body with J bridge pup added and J neck.
    While I can play a P neck there is something very easy and comfortable about a J neck- except that I think there's so little wood there for the string tension, and I do adhere to the idea that fatter necks sound better. The other possible issue with the P/J is that a P pickup is humbucking and a J pickup set is humbucking, but IIRC a P and J pup combo will hum.
    My only bass right now is an early G&L with a single coil that is pretty hummy, huge neck but plays easier than a typical P because G&L has some sort of magic in their necks that make them set up better.
    IDK why but I could never set up a P or J to play as easy as a good G&L. Haven't spent much time with MM basses.
    One favorite was an old Hagstrom short scale with the skinny neck and strange I beam truss "rod". I put two different jumbo fret wires on it just to see what it might do, and the thing played like a guitar, straight as an arrow and toneful in a weird sort of Hagstrom way.
    Somebody sort of gave me an early fretless Alembic that was pretty cool, capable of very upright bass sounds as well as more electric bwaaa, but way way neck heavy, and the headstock was like in the other room on a strap.
    Maybe my favorite was a couple of fretless J basses, one a MIJ all stock, and one a parts bass made when the ESP custom shop on 48th St was going out of business.
    There was a J neck with fretless ebony board with a severe back bow that they were going to return, and I convinced them to sell it to me for $40.
    It straightened right out under tension and just killed with a swamp ash body.
    I do kind of miss the P pickup on a J though...

14. ac15

You have a 1973 P-bass? So do I, and it's the best electric bass I have owned. Lightweight and sounds killer, despite that period of Fender being much maligned in general.

I even heard a jaded sound guy at a festival gig telling the monitor guy "that bass sounds great", and those guys have heard everything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

^^ Very nice. The one indispensable bass!

16. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

You're probably right. I suspect most of them are the same guys who think real bassists should never play with a pick. In either case, their opinions aren't worth the powder to blow to hell.

Agreed. I can play either easily and like the sound of both, but they don't sound the same. The overtone series aren't the same, and the E string isn't as dominant on a short scale. Not better or worse, just different.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with the 34" scale. I'm glad we don't have to make that choice.

17. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I don't really know since I have no real Precision Bass to compare.
    For me it is a compromise by the simple fact that it is a mix of both and mainly because of the JB neck which has the right size for me.

My first quality instrument was a 1964 Fender JB bought in 1968.
    Prior to this I had a Japenese Teisco/Beltone Precision Bass copy that had a very microphonic foil type PU and a wide and thick neck.

The JB was so more comfortable that I never could bond with a PB neck after.

Concerning the position of the PB pickup, I think they are at the same position on both P & P/J according to this picture I made with my Fender Precision Special and the picture of AC15's Precision.

Attached Files:

68Telebass likes this.
  18. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I have very diverse sense of what a good bass can sound like.

I just put stainless steel flats on my jazz bass and wrapped some leather around the strings near the bridge to act as a light mute, and it sounds great.

I also have a Squier Bass VI that sounds great for tic-tac and modern gritty bass lines with its thin stock strings. Only mod is a mustang bridge.

19. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

it's a sound no bassist should ever want. it's generally a flabby and undefined sound that's incredibly difficult to record well. even a bass vi isn't worth the time. pick up a p bass and stick with it. it'll serve you better than a piece of junk short scale.

when she first started playing, my girlfriend wanted an epiphone eb1. I told her she'd be better off getting a p bass because it'll do anything she'll ever want to do and it'll never be a struggle to record. she decided she was fond of the blue flower precision. i said, "good, you'll be happier in the long run."

short scales are a complete waste of time. they either get lost in the mix or they overpower it. no bassist should ever bother with one, and i regret ever wasting my time and money on them. pick up a p bass, pick up a jazz bass, or pick up both and never look back. if you're feeling like a rebel, pick a stingray or an l2000. me, i prefer single-coil p basses. just do yourself a favor and stay as far away from short scale basses as you can.

20. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I built a partsbass Jazz a couple years ago, ended up with an extra body I'm refinishing and will be picking up a Squier Affinity P in Baltic Blue, RW neck and red tort PG Monday evening.

Those 2 will pretty much cover anything I want to do sound wise, but I do have an original vintage ~1970 bolt on neck 2 pickup Rivoli for something different.

Would like a Rick 4001 of course, a Squier Mustang VI, a VM Jaguar SS and possibly some boutique bass at some point in my life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.