I like both kinds of bass - Precision and Jazz

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by w3stie, Feb 24, 2016.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I dig the thumpy P bass and I like the smooth Jazz tones. The Jazz has smooth Dr Tomastik flatwounds, and with that skinny neck you can play as fast as you like. The P has round wounds and can get nice and twangy - like piano strings, but it feels slower. I've heard there are are other kinds of basses out there, but I'm in bass heaven right where I am :)

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Don't ever play a G&L. You'll want one -- and then you'll want more. :twisted: CS

3. bunny 7

bunny 7 Tele-Holic

Hofner 500/1, just a short scale guy.

Had a Jazz once, I did enjoy that tho.
    Play on my friend.

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Agree about the Jazz and p-bass. I have both and use them almost equally.

I think a 60s style 3-tone burst Jazz bass is about as cool looking as it gets, especially when sporting full chrome.

68Telebass likes this.
  5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yup, they're nice for sure. I have played an L-2000 before.

But most of us are at least a little superficial about our instruments, and for that reason, the Jazz and Precision will always be a little cooler.

I'd buy an L-2000 though.

6. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

Like this one!

Attached Files:

7. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I also have those.

Modded Squier VM '77 JB ( body from a Squier CV '60 JB )

Fender Special Deluxe P/J ( original )

Modded Squier CV '60 JB ( body from the VM '77 )

Squier Pro Tone P/J ( original )

Modded Squier VM '70 JB

And to make it different sometime : Fender Modern Player Starcaster short scale Bass ( original )

Attached Files:

8. w3stie

^ Nice collection!

I've had all kinds of different basses in the past - even one of those crazy 5-string jobs (what was I thinking!) I think I prefer solid and simple. And light weight. I really don't go for heavy basses after having several of them. My '57 RI feels like it's made from pine, very light and the Aerodyne Jazz is also slim and light.

9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice.

When I went to get my bass I wanted a p or a j but I walked out of the store with a musician stingray. I love it.

I still fancy a p and a j just because.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love the sound of Jazz basses, but hate the look.
    I love the look of pre 57 Pecisions (both versions), and stripped "hippie natural" 60s P basses.
    My dream Fender bass would be a natural finish 56 body, Jazz pickups, narrow rosewood Jazz neck.
    Oddly, I love wider guitar necks, but I greatly prefer the narrow Jazz bass nut width.

11. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

my girlfriend wanted to start playing bass. my first piece of advice was to either pick a precision or a jazz bass. best advice i could have given her. anything leo invented is a good bass to use, i can't see the sense in anything beyond a precision or jazz.

12. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Well there's scale length for one and also weight although you can find beautifully lightweight P & J basses. I've moved to short scale - Gibson SG bass and a Hofner Club Ignition series (which are great value btw).

Best bass I ever had and only instrument I regret selling, was a very early Japanese Squier P bass.

13. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

there's indeed scale length, and i've dabbled in short scales, but i've found the only scale length worth bothering with is 34".

14. w3stie

There's a reference to the 34" scale length on the book How the Fender Bass Changed the World. It was the best compromise for the bass guitar and hasn't been changed since. I've played short scale basses ( Fender Mustang and Hagstrom) and 35" scale bass, but the 34" is best I find.

15. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

Love my James Johnston Squier signature (basically a LPB CV 60s Jazz). Love it even more since I put a set of LaBella flats on. Nails the Abbey Road bass tone perfectly.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I find the typical Pbass neck to be too much work compared to the Jbass

17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use an 80's Jazz and an old 80's Aria SB1000 active bass. The SB is my number one. Though neck, heavyweight punch, effortless to play with a slim neck.

I did add a series/parallel switch to my jazz and that does add a really thumpy extra P type sound in series.

I am thinking of rebuilding my jazz with a new body and punchier pickups - maybe some actives as the neck is sweet.

18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I bought my bass about 20 years ago. I played a bunch of Js and a bunch of Ps and ended up with an American Standard PBass. It's fairly heavy and doesn't play as easily as a Jazz but that "thunk" is to die for!

[​IMG]

I doubt I'll ever have another bass but the Hofner violin bass and the Ric 4001 are iconic.

19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Ive played just about every kind of electric bass out there, vintage and modern, and for years I've ben entirely and completely satisfied with a passive Dingwall five string, basically just like this one:

[​IMG] .

It gets very kind of sound I want from a bass from the scoop mid J bass sound to the honky p-bass sound to the jaco bridge pickup sound to old school jamerson. it's light and balanced and comfortable

Only thing is the unorthodox look, which puts people off. I love the fenders--great designs, obviously. I still have a j and a p. But bass doesn't end there

20. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.