I like being able to cook

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
In grad school I had half a dozen roommates, and we took turns cooking, so I had to learn (fast!).

Now I enjoy it. Tonight, stracotto:

1652895650657.png

JJLC

Tele-Holic
Cooking is quite satisfying. Been doing it a while, mostly self-taught but I have taken some classes. Every so often, though, I even impress myself. Tonight I had a couple of walleye fillets. Tossed some cut-up broccoli with olive oil onto a sheet pan and into the oven at 450°F for 6 or 7 minutes, then put the fish on the sheet pan too and drizzled the whole shebang with a sauce of olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, and capers, and put it back in for about 12 minutes. Served with brown rice and a nice white wine. Super tasty!

being originally from Louisiana I like to eat. A lot of folks believe the state sport in Louisiana is football but it is actually eating; football is a close second.

of course if one likes to eat then learning to cook would likely be a good thing to learn.
Eat whacha like, hopefully it's tasty, and hopefully it don't take too long to cook it.
Laissez les bons temps rouler .......

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I started doing the majority of the family cooking quite a few years ago and quickly became pretty passionate about it. It didn't hurt that some TV shows like Chopped! and Masterchef that have limited ingredients in the action made me think a lot harder about "what can I make with what I have". I would never purport that all my meals are divine but I can honestly say that some of them really get to a place I never imagined being able to achieve. Of course, like every activity that one might "get into", cooking is no slouch when it comes to GAS, and I'm not referring to the fuel, per se. (The Thermador range at our old property which did use gas as fuel does resemble that remark, however, as does the Café smart induction range I have now here at the new place) Knives, cookware, "stuff", etc., all add up!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
If you like Italian-American, you need to check this guy out:

I tried some papadelle and it overcooked hard to get Al dente. What is difference to egg noodles.

Never saw guy. Nice simple Tks

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Last year, I finally and got an instant-read digital thermometer. Turns out that I’d been overcooking meat by a lot. I’m finding out that a few minutes one way or the other are critical to many meat dishes.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
How do you keep the chickpeas from falling through the holes in the grill basket? Mine has pretty big holes...
I have three grill baskets, of which I normally use two. Chickpeas are large enough to not fall through on all three. The All Clad one has holes, instead of wire mesh, and those holes are the largest of the three. But even those holes are large enough to support the chickpeas. I have included one chick pea in each basket for size reference. Note that these are chickpeas that I grilled last night, so they have shrunken quite a bit. Fresh chickpeas are nearly double in size.

1652974335832.png

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I have three grill baskets, of which I normally use two. Chickpeas are large enough to not fall through on all three. The All Clad one has holes, instead of wire mesh, and those holes are the largest of the three. But even those holes are large enough to support the chickpeas. I have included one chick pea in each basket for size reference. Note that these are chickpeas that I grilled last night, so they have shrunken quite a bit. Fresh chickpeas are nearly double in size.

View attachment 984943
Nice! Thanks.