I like being able to cook

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
Cooking is quite satisfying. Been doing it a while, mostly self-taught but I have taken some classes. Every so often, though, I even impress myself. Tonight I had a couple of walleye fillets. Tossed some cut-up broccoli with olive oil onto a sheet pan and into the oven at 450°F for 6 or 7 minutes, then put the fish on the sheet pan too and drizzled the whole shebang with a sauce of olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper, and capers, and put it back in for about 12 minutes. Served with brown rice and a nice white wine. Super tasty!

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I/we love cooking. Trying something “different” or “ new” is a nice adventure. If it’s something we like we‘ll talk about what we would change, make note of it, and try it again. If it fails we trash it, if not we keep it and maybe embellish it some more. Cooking is fun

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
I’m a decent cook and really enjoy it. My wife is an amazing cook she has made several of the best meals I’ve ever had others have shared and agree. Ok here’s my issue she will never cook it again so I get it once. I have begged bordering on arguing. I don’t understand why she feel the need to change it a little bit every time. It’s never bad but dang !!!! Anyway probably took this off topic a bit sorry. Her steaks are great every time so at least I got that. Lol

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m a decent cook and really enjoy it. My wife is an amazing cook she has made several of the best meals I’ve ever had others have shared and agree. Ok here’s my issue she will never cook it again so I get it once. I have begged bordering on arguing. I don’t understand why she feel the need to change it a little bit every time. It’s never bad but dang !!!! Anyway probably took this off topic a bit sorry. Her steaks are great every time so at least I got that. Lol
Any change in a recipe isn’t necessarily a bad thing. IF you ever find perfection then repeat as closely as possible

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I was a chef once a long time ago on a planet far, far away …

Tonight was a brand new recipe of sautéed chix thighs w/kale in a spicy, creamy tomato sauce … that’s it. Surprisingly filling (says Ms. Nutz and Nutz the Elder) with no other carbs.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I started cooking because I like eating. And it's fun to serve really good stuff to friends and relatives when they visit.

Almost every time we go to a restaurant, we realize that we could have done just as well or better ourselves at home. For a LOT less money.

It's a really fun skill that everyone can learn and enjoy.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I started cooking because I like eating. And it's fun to serve really good stuff to friends and relatives when they visit.

Almost every time we go to a restaurant, we realize that we could have done just as well or better ourselves at home. For a LOT less money.

It's a really fun skill that everyone can learn and enjoy.
Our rule is that we only eat out if it is a place that does something better than we do at home, or something different than we do at home. We save a lot of money when we follow this rule.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
In general, I prefer concepts over recipes. Concepts can be endlessly tweaked. We usually eat broccoli rabe once per week. Tonight I grilled the broccoli rabe, along with an onion and chick peas in two separate grill baskets. We had it over whole wheat pasta--which we generally only eat when we serve greens over it. Instead of Italian style with olive oil and garlic as we might normally do with the pasta, I tied it all together with some Costco cilantro and lime Mexican style sour cream sauce. I can do broccoli rabe 50 times per year, different each time. It always turns out good, and often great.

With that being said, I love to hear what other people are cooking. It always gives me ideas.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I was overjoyed to discover I could make a pretty good pastry crust. My Rustic French Apple Galettes (w/ raspberry glaze) are impressive.

Lately, we've been enjoying asparagus tarts with some cheese and lemon zest. Do try something like that with your latest pastry crust. Savory pies are a revelation.

Not that I'd refuse some of your apple galette, which sounds amazing!

Rustbucket

Poster Extraordinaire
I love cooking and eating. I don’t have a lot of time to do it on weekdays, so I usually batch cook on the weekends. Tonight I seared up some pre-marinated porc for tacos with queso fresco & made a quick mango salsa.

Esquire Jones

Tele-Holic
How can someone mature in this life without knowing how to cook?

When I was younger I didn’t have a clue or an interest in cooking. I would think “why would you cook when you could get food from a professional chef right down the street?”

Now? It’s part of life and integral to eating well. I make very good soup according to my wife. 😀

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I have always grilled, and been able to cook a good breakfast and the like, pretty much all my adult life.

I started cooking good easy meals in earnest after my second divorce. I try to keep dishes under about ten ingredients, and I use easy-to-not-f-up cuts of chicken like thighs, they are almost impossible to over cook somehow. Breasts are ok for oven or crock pot recipes, but you really have to watch your temps on the grill.

My best friend and his wife are both great cooks and they have provided me with invaluable tips over the years. She's the type who can go into the kitchen and, after a half hour or so of minimal effort, turn out a great, well-rounded meal that looks great plated too. That's my goal.

As an added bonus, I just started seeing a lady who is a darn good cook in her own right, so we're discovering each other's specialties while cooking together...it's very nice. She makes awesome oven chicken wings, for instance, which I have never cooked in my life. I recently showed her how to make super easy King Ranch chicken.

Our only rule is that we don't deep fry anything at my house. If we want fish, shrimp, chicken fried steak...it either gets oven fried, or we go out.