I know people are afraid to post their mugs ...

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
archetype, standing on the sidewalk in the WTC district of NYC, suit on and ready to go to One If By Land, Two If By Sea for wedding anniversary dinner with my beloved. It was wonderful food, wine, and service, and quite appropriate for two people who found each other after a lot of seeking and not settling for less than we deserved.

I'm sure this look deserves a caption. Edit: Good grief... it looks like a Chuck Close super-realist painting.

archetype_sm.jpg

Mad Kiwi

Friend of Leo's
Supposedly, I'm related to him by marriage. I've definitely got some Beecher family blood, as in Harriet Beecher Stowe, but I haven't traced it back to figure out the specifics. I do know that before writing her best seller "Uncle Tom's Cabin," she was considered to be a minor figure in her immediate family of overachievers.

My mug is my profile pic. If you want a more current capture -- and why would you? -- it can be found in this music video.

That was awesome!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Supposedly, I'm related to him by marriage. I've definitely got some Beecher family blood, as in Harriet Beecher Stowe, but I haven't traced it back to figure out the specifics. I do know that before writing her best seller "Uncle Tom's Cabin," she was considered to be a minor figure in her immediate family of overachievers.

My mug is my profile pic. If you want a more current capture -- and why would you? -- it can be found in this music video.

I am the geneologist for our family and one thing I can tell you is that I've dispelled many family lore, myths, and rumors.... and we had some doozies ;) Legit documentation is key. If it's taught me anything, it's to question everything LOL! It would be cool if yours turns out to be true! BTW - I remember your video from when you first posted it, and LOVED it! Really nice job on that, man! Thanks for the repost!

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
I am the geneologist for our family and one thing I can tell you is that I've dispelled many family lore, myths, and rumors.... and we had some doozies ;) Legit documentation is key. If it's taught me anything, it's to question everything LOL! It would be cool if yours turns out to be true! BTW - I remember your video from when you first posted it, and LOVED it! Really nice job on that, man! Thanks for the repost!

Thanks!

I have little faith in the Wild Bill Hickok thing. One of my daughters has been doing family history research off and on via Ancestry.com. When I did a DNA test, it did confirm my ethnic background in the expected percentages -- pale and paler. My mother's side of the family was excited to see if there was some African blood, because the the family was supposedly involved in the Underground Railroad and... you know. But no dice. My immediate family was hoping we'd find I had a Japanese half sibling, because my father told my mother that he had impregnated a Japanese woman when he was serving in the Air Force in Japatn in the 1950s before they were married. No half-siblings have turned up so far.

My wife's maternal grandmother was a Zimbalist, and her great uncle Al Zimbalist produced some of the worst movies of all time (including "Robot Monster"), and Al's cousin Sam won a posthumous Oscar for best picture for producing "Ben Hur." According to family lore, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. is supposed to be related through a certain set of circumstances I won't bother to explain here. He may indeed be related, but I looked into their explanation of the how's and the why's, and it did not stand up to scrutiny.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Al's cousin Sam won a posthumous Oscar for best picture for producing "Ben Hur."

Wow! What a great movie! That's pretty neat that he got an Oscar, and ya'll have him as a family member! Does someone in the fam still have the Oscar?

but I looked into their explanation of the how's and the why's, and it did not stand up to scrutiny.

Yep.... that's what I ran into a lot as well. There were myths in my family that I'm sure were probably 100 years old in some cases, but I could never confirm any of them with concrete evidence. In fact, in most cases, I could prove with legit documentation quite the opposite! LOL!!! There's a lot of misinformation out there too, lots of people posting things out there and making assumptions regarding XYZ to try to convince themselves (and others) that what they have is "the truth" but, in many of those cases, when you start asking them questions like - "Ummm.... can you provide me the documentation that shows Mr. Soandso was married to Mrs. Soandso?" They clam up or will reply with things like "Yeah... I've got that documentation somewhere... let me find it and get back to you" Then it's crickets ;) My favorite is "Oh! I had that doc believe me, but my hard drive just crashed and I lost it" LOL!!! Dog ate the homework... that sort of thing ;)

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow! What a great movie! That's pretty neat that he got an Oscar, and ya'll have him as a family member! Does someone in the fam still have the Oscar?

Al Zimbalist (the schlockmeister who was my wife's great uncle) died in 1975, and he had one son who was very close to my late mother-in-law. He died in 2004 without any children. Sam Zimbalist died in 1958, leaving a wife (Mary) and no children. I don't know if Al had any relationship with Sam's widow, who accepted the Oscar on his behalf. Some obsessive actually wrote a bio on Al. It was sent to me by the guy who co-wrote "The Golden Turkey Awards." I've only read parts of it. We. do however have many posters of his movies around the house. The posters are much better than the movies. For many of his movies, he reused footage from "King Solomon's Mines," so if you walk into our house, you might be a bit perplexed by the recurring African themes. So far, nobody has objected to the giant poster (41' x 81') of a Fez-sporting black man holding a spear on our living room wall identical to the one below.

lf

P.S. -- The poster does not contain an image of my mug.