I Know, but here's a SS Thread!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bill Moore, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have tinkered once in a while with SS stuff, and often managed to get them working again with minor effort. Last year I picked up a Peavey Special 130 chassis that was working, but... I had to clean some pots, and replace some jacks, and swapped the op-amps for the hi-fi type. I even built a cab for it, but after playing through it for a while I just wasn't impressed. The steel guitar players think a lot of them, and a fellow offered to buy the chassis, so it's his! I was thinking about where to get a chassis to build something for the (now empty) cab, when I remembered I had a Peavey Special 150 chassis. My friend had tried to fix it and gave up, and brought the parts to me, (still blowing fuses). I started in, and realized the rear cover/heatsink was missing, and attempted to locate another, our friend Wally had one from a Special 112 that he let me have that I can mod to fit.
    I don't plan to make a habit of working on these things, as lifting a connection to get a reading is a PITA! I finally verified that one of the (TO-3) output transistors was blown, and checking all the other transistors, both drivers , and at least one of each of the other TO-92 pairs were faulty. Last night I finally got some replacements installed, and firing it up on a limiter, I had lost the draw! I connected to A/C, and got my guitar, and it actually works! I'll post pics when I get the chassis back together!
    (I promise to try not to pollute this area with SS talk again!)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

SS is not a cussword! A mild smirk and a subtle roll of the eyes is all we ask when discussing it. :rolleyes: :confused: :lol:

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My first amp (which I still own) is an early 70’s (solid state) Gibson G-20...really sweet, clean tone...amazing tremolo/vibrato/whatever...weighs a little bit of nothing.

it was abused by the previous owner, and I abused it further (stickers, branded it with an armadillo brand)...but I still love it.

stevemc, Tonetele and Bill Moore like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

5. Bill Moore

I do confess to owning SS amps, I have an old Dean Markley practice amp, (made in USA), that really sounds great. (I had another, but my only grandson was down last year, and I sent it back to Alaska with him). I also have a couple of Bandits stashed at places we jam. I also have some half and half, (MusicMan, and a Peavey. I just never had to get as deep into a SS one trying to get it working before!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  6. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I've sold off quite a few amps lately that I've had for a while, but didn't practice or gig with often. But I did keep a variety of Solid State and Tube amps that I like, practice with, gig with and have found them to be extremely reliable and well-suited to the music I play and my sound/tone preferences.
    1983 Peavey Special 130
    1984 Peavey Special 130
    1980's Peavey Studio Pro 40
    1990's Peavey Classic 30 (Black Tweed)
    1970 Fender Twin Reverb
    1971 Fender Twin Reverb
    1981 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
    1995 Fender Custom Vibrasonic

So yes, I do like Solid State amps too, as well as tube amps.

7. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I have a Peavey Stereo Chorus in the basement , I’m not sure if it’s from the 90s or the 80s. It was given to me by a family member who was a country player and had two of them. I guess he stopped using fender tube amps because he didn’t like them in the smoking bars. He said the Peaveys are close to the tube amps. Mine is wicked heavy, wicked loud, and the clean channel is intensely loud

8. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Its funny how much of this stuff is in our heads sometimes. I did the live music booking and sound in a bar for a few years, and guys would bring in everything from Peavey solid states and Boss multi-effect processors to boutique hand wired amps with extensive pedal boards and at the end of the day, in a bar full of people with a shoddy PA and a full band, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference assuming the player knows how to dial in their gear to sound good with a band.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I got a free Peavey Bandit given to me by a radical music teacher. I had a Fender speaker, she gave me the amp ( no, no s....l favours), anyway I put it together and my son still uses it with his 56 U-2 Les Paul type Danelectro. I love that Dano- think Traveling Wilburys.

10. Bill Moore

I'm old enough to remember when everybody was trading in their Twins, and Bassman's for the new SS amps. I bought my buddies 2 year old Twin for $100, because that's all the store offered in trade. A couple of years later he came by wanting it, so I got my $100, and a case of beer!

FenderLover likes this.
  11. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I have a '66 Vox Berkeley III with a 2x10 on the chrome trolley. It actually sounds pretty good. I had to replace every coupling cap in it, until I ran out. Still need to get the tremolo working, but it's a solid amp.

12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Careful, that's verging on heresy around these parts! (I totally agree with you, by the way)

13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

My first SS project was a Hafler amp kit. Learned a lot. Turned out to be a very fine amp.

After I began to doubt the wisdom of bringing a vintage Blackface into places where the wiring was questionable, I put together a modeling preamp based on an SS power amp that ....

sounds just fine.

Nothing wrong with SS, if it gives what's wanted.

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Preach it, my brother! :)

15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I guess here is where I post about how much fun I had playing my pair of red stripe Envoys yesterday. I set the first on the clean channel with a little grit and a touch of reverb. The second got the same clean settings, the lead channel set to a light crunch, and the reverb set to max. Controlling the 2nd with the footswitch and rolling the volume knob gave me tones from sparkly to heavy and tight to spacey. And all for under $200!

16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

I have been given many tears ago a Peavey Special 130 in excellent condition :

[​IMG]

This amp is built like a WWII B17G, loud as hell (160W rms at the onset of clipping, resistive load, 400Hz sinus) but doesn't give deep bass (while its Scorpion speaker have the capability) so that's why I do not use too much.

I tried to work on the tone-corrector but did not come to an interesting result... If someone has the good tip to make the Special 160 give deep bass, I'd be interested ! ;)

-tbln.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.