I killed a swimming pool with a lawnmower

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Call me Tim Taylor.
    [​IMG]

We had one of those above ground pools that you buy in a kit from Walmart. A white metal tubular frame supports a blue bag filled with 2500 gallons of water. 3 feet deep and 12 feet across with a filter that actually worked...the water was clear. The kids loved it. We're in a rural subdivision and we have land that borders the back of the subdivision. The pool was back on the "land" in the sunshine with a very long extension cord powering the filter.

Got it?

I was mowing the back field last night and I went around the pool 5 times with the mow deck pointing away from the pool. I didn't want to get grass clippings in the kids pool. My mow deck is 5 feet wide. After the 5th pass shooting grass away from the pool, I thought I was safe to mow the other way and I turned the tractor around. The mowing chute is now pointing at the pool.

I drove over a garden stake that my wife left in the grass and it flew like a missile straight at the pool. I was watching a javelin shooting at the pool in slow motion. 30 foot throw, right at the pool side wall.

Nnoooooooooo!

Woosh. Right through the side wall. 2500 gallons of water start pushing through a 2" hole. It was like chipping a hole in the Hoover dam. The hole ripped open in seconds and I just sat on the mower staring.

Oh sh*t.

Thank the Lord that my wife wasn't gardening and the garden stake didn't hit her or one of the kids. It was like a bullet.

I went to K-Mart to look for a patch kit and the sales lady in lawn and garden says..."We're already blowing out pools" (as though summer is nearly over). and the 42" deep X 18' pool was $239 marked down from $399.

I'm now filling a 4000 gallon bag of water in my back yard...if anyone wants to get drunk and play with mower c'mon over.

:rolleyes:

John "Timmy Taylor" Doofus

John

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I only go 3 passes with the chute on a 5ft deck pointing away from the pool. You took plenty of precaution, ease up and go play your Tele or hang out with the kids! Could've been bad, bad, worse.

3. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Glad no one was hurt, but don't you wish you had a video of the whole thing?

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

# 2 son has a nasty habit of leaving all sorts of wood, broom handles, PVC make shift swords on the lawn after his samurai exercises.

Last month I hit a hickory shovel handle I could not see with my 42" cut 17 HP rider. It bent the blade down enough that the blade caught the dirt and hooked in and the mower hopped more than I though it could have. Spears/Splinters of sharp hickory launched from under, and thankfully none hit the mason crew 25-30 ft. away in my neighbors yard forming footings for his garage slab.

Argh!!!

5. RickG501

RickG501 Tele-Afflicted

When I read the title, I was wondering why you were mowing the pool?

But now I unner stand. RIP the pool.:cry:

6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Years ago my brother-in-law rolled a rider into a culvert while mowing along its bank.
    His left knee is now the size of a softball but at least he didn't lose his leg.

7. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Dude, Mick has it right. Stop beating yourself up. This is one of the little inconveniences that make life interesting.
    BTW, I wouldn't call my worst enemy Tim Taylor. Now he was a loser.

8. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

That's the big thing. I feel for you, pal, and it is a bummer. As you say, though, at least no one was hurt.

9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

i'm glad no one was hurt but my god that was funny

steve

10. Crotalus Atrox

Crotalus Atrox Tele-Meister

Good story. I had a vivid mental picture of the stake heading toward the pool.

11. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Look on the bright side, with your lawnmower-javelin skills you're now ready to defend your home in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

12. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

^This. Live and learn and be safe. Picking up all the random crap is the whole mowing chore. Riding the tiny tractor is the payoff.

13. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Seems to me this isn't the only pool John's killed.....wasn't there a video a year or so ago????

14. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I hate lawn mowers. Dangerous beasts.

15. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Honey!, I found a new way to water the lawn...

16. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

"I killed a swimming pool with a lawnmower"

So far, this is my vote for TDPRI headline of the year.

17. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

A friend of mine had a smaller, simpler pool on his sundeck. The kind with semi rigid sides that are kept in place by the outward water pressure.
    The thing about these is that if you step on the side and push it inwards and down, the water pressure will keep it down and all the water will pour out.

Well, this obviously happened. All of 400 gallons poured off the sundeck, down the side of the garden, picking up soil, dirt and debris, and then went straight in through the open basement window of the neighbour down the hill.

The second time it happened the neighbour got a little testy.....

18. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Indeed, video would have been nice. You have my sympathies John. I tend to agree that reasonable caution was taken and that this was more a case of Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Remember also, that Murphy was an optimist :D

19. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

Video or it didn't happen!

20. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

There's a country music joke about driving a lawnmower into a swimming pool here somewhere, just waiting to happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.