I just witnessed a real life "get-off-my-lawn" moment

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, today saw the first time since two years that I went to a live show. There was a punk rock matinée held at a local venue I used to frequent before the pandemic put a hold on that.

Anyway, I went there and saw the familiar faces again, “Hey dude, long time no see, how are you?” and all that business, or as we say in my native tongue "Ouwe jongens krentenbrood" (Old guys, raisin bread.)

The music was loud, the sweat dripping off the wall, and everybody had a brilliant time.

So I went outside to catch some fresh air and talk amongst some of my punk rock friends when all of a sudden this guy with a bullhorn appeared from the next door house. He blared something and went inside again. All of us were baffled at first until the guy appeared once more, this time using the siren. At which everybody started laughing, figuring that the guy just had some fun with us and one individual said “Just in time dude, we needed a new singer for our band!”

At which the door opened again and the guy, correctly figuring that thanks to the distortion of the bullhorn, it was impossible to make across what he was saying, just started shouting at the top of his lungs. ''TURN THAT &(%$#@ NOISE OFF, I'M TRYING TO SLEEP HERE! ALL OF YOU MOVE AWAY OR ELSE I'M GONNA..."

Some walked over to try to calm him down, but the whole atmosphere had changed, and I decided to make myself scarce before things escalated any further.

Yeah, the pandemic kept punk rock shows from happening for over two years, but it apparently also made it that people living next door to the bar could go to bed early.

Yeah, things going back to normal will be something we have to get used to again, in more ways than one.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
With the housing market as it is right now, maybe he should move from living next to the venue, buy a home elsewhere, and pocket some jing and get a good nights sleep at the same time??? Just an idea..... ;)

Doctor of Teleocity
I will play devil’s advocate because when I was gigging full time I lived in the city and had to wake up at a different time every day/night. I finally took extreme measures to block out all outside noise so I could sleep, but it left me more vulnerable, should there have been a break-in.

I also played several neighborhood bars, and was among the culprits of concern, regarding db levels.

Spending much of my adult life in parts of the city known for it’s crime and nightlife, it’s a wonder I escaped relatively unscathed.

The shift in neighborly love regarding noise pollution had a direct correlation to the extended bass frequencies weeping through the old brick. Even the hungover socialites have to surrender to sleep, once the rivers of red are washed from the walls.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
What if this guy was working the night shift, got home from work, slept 3 hours and was woken up by punk rock ?
On the other hand, yelling and getting all riled up, he probably didn't get more rest after the incident, even if he wanted to.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
that doesn’t sound like a good situation to me. If has had his own bullhorn and siren already it might lend one to guess that he hasn’t got much support from the club’s management or the local constabulary.

What a drag for that guy. Hopefully nobody will come to physical harm and or go to jail. In the USA some nutter could easily open fire.

Get off my lawn usually wouldn’t be applied to a bunch of jokers making a bunch of noise late a night next to your house. Seriously go smoke on the other side of the bar. Or go back inside. Get off my lawn would apply to a guy that yelled at the kids next door because their ball rolled into his yard at noon on a Saturday, not bunch of drunken yobs tumbling out of a bar at midnight next to some guys house.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, today saw the first time since two years that I went to a live show. There was a punk rock matinée held at a local venue I used to frequent before the pandemic put a hold on that.

Anyway, I went there and saw the familiar faces again, “Hey dude, long time no see, how are you?” and all that business, or as we say in my native tongue "Ouwe jongens krentenbrood" (Old guys, raisin bread.)

The music was loud, the sweat dripping off the wall, and everybody had a brilliant time.

So I went outside to catch some fresh air and talk amongst some of my punk rock friends when all of a sudden this guy with a bullhorn appeared from the next door house. He blared something and went inside again. All of us were baffled at first until the guy appeared once more, this time using the siren. At which everybody started laughing, figuring that the guy just had some fun with us and one individual said “Just in time dude, we needed a new singer for our band!”

At which the door opened again and the guy, correctly figuring that thanks to the distortion of the bullhorn, it was impossible to make across what he was saying, just started shouting at the top of his lungs. ''TURN THAT &(%$#@ NOISE OFF, I'M TRYING TO SLEEP HERE! ALL OF YOU MOVE AWAY OR ELSE I'M GONNA..."

Some walked over to try to calm him down, but the whole atmosphere had changed, and I decided to make myself scarce before things escalated any further.

Yeah, the pandemic kept punk rock shows from happening for over two years, but it apparently also made it that people living next door to the bar could go to bed early.

Yeah, things going back to normal will be something we have to get used to again, in more ways than one.
I would need more information to form an opinion......
What are you calling a "venue"?.....an old house in a residential area? Why is there a house next to this venue?
Around here, there are a few clubs and bars located at the edge of residential neighborhoods, and the residents have constant problems with traffic and parking, people urinating in their yards, and noise. The police are called out, and things are better....until the next day.
Without knowing more, I'm on the side of "bull-horn man"......;)

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I would need more information to form an opinion......
What are you calling a "venue"?.....an old house in a residential area? Why is there a house next to this venue?
Around here, there are a few clubs and bars located at the edge of residential neighborhoods, and the residents have constant problems with traffic and parking, people urinating in their yards, and noise. The police are called out, and things are better....until the next day.
Without knowing more, I'm on the side of "bull-horn man"......;)
It's a bar in the city of Heerlen's centre.
Bluff-voorkant-nieuw-HMS-Kathsphotography-3278.jpg

Bluff.jpg

I'm the one flashing the double horns with the Strat on my shirt.
Bluff 2.jpg

Dog Eat Dog at the Cafe Bluff, again, I'm actually in that picture, I'm the guy with the heavy horn rim glasses. The guy on the far right is my kid brother.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
It's always a nice day to go to the pub even on Sunday

Nice day to go to the pub
Go to the pub
Go to the pub
Nice day to have a beer
Have a beer
Have a beer
Down to the rubbery dub
Rubbery dub
Rubbery dub
Nice day to have a schnitzel
Have a schnitzel
Have a schnitzel
Nice day to have some chips
Have some chips
Have some chips
Nice day to have some sauce
Have some sauce
Have some sauce
Nice day to have some beetroot
Have some beetroot
Have some beetroot

Some poetry right there !

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It's a bar in the city of Heerlen's centre.
Bluff-voorkant-nieuw-HMS-Kathsphotography-3278.jpg

View attachment 976520
I'm the one flashing the double horns with the Strat on my shirt.
View attachment 976523
Dog Eat Dog at the Cafe Bluff, again, I'm actually in that picture, I'm the guy with the heavy horn rim glasses. The guy on the far right is my kid brother.
OK....so a business district? That becomes a "gray area" then, for me. I don't understand living in urban areas, anyway. Does the bullhorn man live above a shop or business?
BTW....that's the oldest bunch of punks I've ever seen. ;););)

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
What a great thread and varying viewpoints, all respectful. I can see both sides, having worked in the hospital with night shifts. Yah he seemed prepared to be angry about the downside where he lives. I know getting angery doesn’t work before going to sleep, very bad plan. I als think his beef is miss directed at you guys so it has no positive effects for anyone.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Your freedom ends at the line where it harms the freedom of another person.
So is the freedom of the guy trying to sleep during the day next to a music venue harming the freedom of people to enjoy music in a music venue? Or is their freedom harming his?
And why?

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A lot of this goes on here in the CLE. There are many, many bars and clubs with close neighbors. One of my criticisms of our scene is that we don’t have a bonafide, solid, entertainment district. Stuff is spread out all over the place. A lot of it in residential (albeit urban) areas.

A couple of these places have huge problems stemming from residents who moved to them specifically to be near the night life and parties. They are young professionals who bought houses in their late 20’s and early 30’s. And bought them in places that are really buzzing, to be walking distance from shops, bars, restaurants, and music clubs and such. Now they’re a little older, they’re having kids, and they want it all gone. Or at least heavily neutered.

I know some of these people personally and I have zero sympathy for them. While I agree it’s no fun to wake up at 3am to people fornicating in the bushes outside your window, or puking in your driveway, they need to remember that a few short years ago they were doing the same thing, and that they moved to the neighborhood specifically to be part of that scene.

When that’s no fun anymore, one doesn’t have the right to simply ruin it for everyone else. It’s time to move.