1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just wiped oil over wax. I'm a rebel and I don't play by the rules!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by _MementoMori_, Feb 22, 2021.

1. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Meister

I can't find anywhere on the internet where anyone says it's okay to do this, but I'm stubborn and an experimenter if anything, so I did it. My finish is 3 coats of Danish oil under 5 or so heavy coats of black shoe polish, buffed out really well and cured for about a week. On an absolute whim tonight, I broke out the DO again and just hit the body with a really light coat. Just enough to momentarily brighten the finish.

It penetrated and rubbed out just fine. I did pick up some of my black shoe polish when I rubbed the DO out, and that surprised me a little. But I didn't remove enough to lighten the wood.

2. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Similarly, Tru Oil and cordovan shoe polish. Not that many coats, and I believe that I used a coat of oil first to mitigate the stain. IMG_20171128_125202.jpg
    On paint grade mahogany.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  3. _MementoMori_

Beautiful finish. Really nice. How's it holding up for you? How long ago did you finish it?

4. Jay Jernigan

It could stand another oiling, maybe with steel wool, if I want it smooth. Also could have sanded it smoother to start with, but don't mind feeling the wood.
    I did it about four years before the picture was taken. Oil is easy to touch up; hasn't needed much. It was an experiment in cheap parts that became the house go-to.

_MementoMori_ likes this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

If you look closely you can see, in spite of the poor photo, that nothing fits exactly right. String holes were too far back; the saddle screws are maxed out but the intonation is good.
    I put it together initially without a pickguard, didn't like the look so, retrofit, but it's not exactly parallel with the bridge plate. I wiggled the parts as much as I could. Still fun to play, tho.

6. _MementoMori_

If it intonates, stays in tune, and sounds good, I don't think you did a thing wrong in all honesty.

7. Jay Jernigan

Only small complaint is it sustains about 80% of what I consider optimum. A well cranked amp takes care of most of that.
    I may mask it and dye the edges like this: IMG_20180925_111356.jpg
    It would help to hide the joins around the edge. Probably still won't sustain any better.

8. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Don't wear a white shirt when you're playing it.

9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

rustins Danish oil has wax in it, so maybe that would handle the wax/oil mix in a good way.
    but DO can dissolve some other coating ore tinting products.
    i had a wax like copper coating that did not stay on a guitar when coating it with DO.
    just try on scrap first i would say

but why would you want to use shoeshine? darken the wood?
    rustin has tinting fluids that are special for use with DO

10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It’s not a problem because Danish oil contains solvents that dissolve the wax, and the method of application helps ensure it bonds well.

Try a Sprayed-on hard finish over wax and your results will be quite different.

11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Tru oil, floor oil, paint-hardening wax have all gone on my guitars at some point in various combinations. Anything in a tin. All fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.