I Just Recently Started Using a Preamp Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cody_J, May 17, 2021.

1. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Until recently I never really saw the point of a "preamp pedal." To me they were just another type of overdrive pedal, and I tend to not play with much gain at all.

Then with a bit of coaxing from a friend, I tried the Greer Soma '63 and fell in love with the sounds I was getting while keeping the gain knob relatively low. Basically I just use the pedal for tone shaping and a bit of bite at most.

My understanding is that this pedal is modeled after the preamp section of a Fender brownface amp. When I couple it with a Fender Deluxe Reverb, I am extremely pleased with the result. I will say that the pedal has so much gain range that I find the upper end somewhat useless for the way that I play (see the video below), but I am still blown away by its range.

I made a video with the pedal just for fun!

PhredE, Telecaster88, scook and 9 others like this.
  2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Preamps are a simple way to change the sound of the amp without changing anything. I have a few tube based preamp pedals with 12AX7. The one I use most is a FB2 clone so it’s the preamp section of a Bandmaster. But I’ve got one on order that is a Mesa red channel clone with 3 12AX7 tubes. It will be here in a couple months. It’s a rabbit hole.

Cody_J likes this.
  3. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

A rabbit hole indeed! Since I picked this one up, I've caught myself scrolling through the other options out there on several occasions, haha. Any experience with the Benson Amps one?

4. Killing Floor

Funny, I’ve actually been looking at their fuzz, not that I need another. Their amps are great so I’m sure the preamp is too. I was able to spend a few minutes on a combo. I’ve only heard demos of the pedal.

Cody_J likes this.
  5. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I've heard good things about their fuzz pedals, but admittedly have not tried one myself. Their amps are great though! I really want one of their Mini Chiefs.

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have a Catalinbread Epoch Pre at the end of my board - that spot is reserved for the pre - it just does wonders for the signal, whether its the standalone pre thats currently there or the pre in the Belle Epoch Deluxe.

I am a fan.

Cody_J likes this.
  7. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Sounds great! What's the Chet-sounding song at :56? Or is that just noodling?

Cody_J likes this.
  8. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    I have three of these.

Yes, it is a deep hole!!

My last gig I used the XLR out of this to run to my own power amp then to my own monitor. So I was basically running my own monitor while the line out was fed to a Velocity power amp and then to a speaker cab, which I mic-ed. So the line out went to the mains, and I had my own monitor, with sound levels I could control on my own. Worked great.

bluesholyman and Cody_J like this.
  9. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Admittedly Catalinbread is a company that I've always looked at but never bought. Their stuff looks awesome, and now you've got me looking at their pre.

10. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

Thank you!! It's mostly just noodling. I didn't want to get a copyright strike from YouTube, haha. Chet/Travis/Reed are giant musical heroes of mine, and that's just one of those melodies that always just comes out when I noodle.

GGardner likes this.
  11. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That's awesome! I recently became a big fan of Two Notes. I bought their Captor X for home recording purposes and I have to say that I love this thing. That seems like a company that's doing things right.

12. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I am not sure if the newer stuff is as good as the older stuff - the Epoch Pre (large grey box 3 knobs, two switches, couple of buttons) is different, I think, from the Epoch boost, which is the single 3 knob pedal. Howard Gee, who has since moved on from CB, is just an incredible designer. He did the grey box, I believe, but not sure if he had any hand in the epoch boost - I tend to doubt it.

I do not know if their current stuff lives up to Howard's skill since he moved on.

Cody_J likes this.
  13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve got Terror Stamp I’ve used as a power amp and a preamp on separate occasions - also have a tech 21 fly rig - it took me a while to get used to the fly rig (Plexi version). The controls are so wide in their rand it can take a while to learn how to really dial in. But man I love that thing now.

Edit: I use these for the general “ampyness “ - even the Plexi section is set for just a slight breakup. I stack dirt pedals in front of it for gain.

Cody_J likes this.
  14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I occasionally put a tech 21 Liverpool or British in the loop of my quilter amps if I’m in a Vox / Marshall mood.

PhredE and Cody_J like this.
  15. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That's good to know. I definitely still want to try some of their stuff, but learning the background of these companies really does help inform the product.

16. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

That's very cool. I love hearing about this kind of stuff, and I've definitely been tempted by the Tech 21 setup in the past!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  17. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I've got a buddy who swears by a similar setup. He's a Quilter player through and through. I'd love to hear your setup if you have anything to share!

18. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I've been interested in the Soma for a while. I ended up getting an Origin RevivalTrem instead (also based on a Brownface). It's a great pedal. You might also try your preamp pedal directly into an interface or into the effects return of an amp (to bypass the amp's preamp).

Cody_J likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

No secret I am an addict (pedals) and that I am a fan of Sushi Box.

I have 2 pedals coming in a June build slot, probably actually will show up in July. One is a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo (red channel) preamp with 12AX7 tubes, a direct copy of the preamp from the amplifier. The other is a JCM-800 preamp clone called JC-Emerald, again with 12AX7 tubes. Yay 3 preamp tubes in a pedal. I'll post pics when I get them. Like I said, I am a trusting fan of this maker, both of these launch in June so these are preorder. Told ya, very trusting.

Cody_J likes this.
  20. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Therer are many, many good preamps out there. I use a preamp with my small tube amps, notably my old Champ, to get a bit more drive at slightly lower volume settings as that amp gets into OD-distortion territory pretty fast. While those tones are terrific and I use them all the time, I like having a little more tonal spread at the clean-ish end of the spectrum and don't like depending on volume for tone.

Cody_J likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.