1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just realized I quit over a year ago.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Mar 18, 2021.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I think they were .65 a pack for name brand when I started.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    stevemc, Durtdog, drlucky and 2 others like this.
  2. Tele T

Tele T TDPRI Member

I quit in 1980. 41years ago. :)

Old Deaf Roadie and Jakedog like this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Started smoking in High School - both of my parents smoked at the time. 3 years or so later, I tried to stop several times and couldn't seem to make it stick - after trying to quit for a couple of years, I decided to give up on quitting. In my second year of college, I went out for a smoke and to chat with some classmates. One of them offered me a cigarette and I politely turned it down - that's when I realized that I had been turning them down for at least a couple of weeks. Never had another puff since then. I don't know whether it was just taking the pressure of trying to quit away or what, but I just didn't have any cravings after that.

Congrats and Happy Anniversary - it's an accomplishment for sure!

stevemc, Old Deaf Roadie and Jakedog like this.
  4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I quit 31.12. 1999.

stevemc, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

JD, way to go, bro. It's the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Sooo Awesoome! Congrats on your new life!

Jakedog likes this.
  7. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I've been off the cigs for a year and a half. It's only been lately that I've really wanted a smoke now and then. That won't happen. I've done this enough times to know that one puff means I'm an active smoker again.

I bought a banjo and watched this Turf Rollers vid a lot.

DSC04946.JPG

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I smoked for 25 years & escaped via the patch. Best move I ever made. Congrats on your success.

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  9. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE TDPRI Member

Congratulations on your 1 year win! Don't let your guard down...and keep on trucking!
    I will have 11 years smoke-free this June. Every year on the anniversary I go into a store and ask how much a pack of Camel Lights cost...and count what I saved. I can't imagine smoking again. Ever.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope you then spend that amount on a new guitar or amp! That’s my plan. Forever.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Bravo!

Cheers,
    Geoff

Jakedog likes this.
  12. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Good on ya, Jakedog!

Jakedog likes this.
  13. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

One urge at a time and before you know it they are gone. 12.5 years.

Congrats!

Dan

Jakedog likes this.
  14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

Quitting is very hard.

I quit tobacco a long time ago, but very, very occasionally I still get a surprisingly strong craving for a ciggy. Funny how it sneaks up on you like that, even years later.

I continue to resist.:D

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

good job on quitting!

I never smoked, but I dipped for about 10 years... quit when I realized it was eating my lower gum... one of my brothers still dips, has to go up top now.... he also hammers a box of wine a day... there are no kids on his lawn currently.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good for you Jakedog...congratulations!

I finally quit like 25-30 years ago for good. There are times when I get a whiff of smoke from someone smoking a Marlboro. Let me tell you I could start that habit back up in a New York second but I know better. But me being on a paltry fixed income...I could never afford 12-13 bucks for a pack of coffin nails anyways. If I remember correctly, it was when they hit 3 bucks a pack I said that's it...I quit. When I started, unfiltered Lucky Strike or Camels were my favs. They cost 42 or 46 cents if I remember correctly. I was 10 or 11 at the time. My neighbor used to give me a buck to walk down the road to buy her a pack. That's when I started buying for myself. Our high school had a smoking area for us. I graduated class of '78. They did away with that the following year. Of course we were smoking more than cigs. I remember there was a teacher that was always in our circle. Oh the good ole days.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
  17. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Good news, Jakedog. I’m glad it was fairly easy for you. FWIW, I quit in ‘95 after smoking almost thirty years. Fast forward to my current job and our entire maintenance crew had to be tested to see if we were candidates for respirators. The tester and the Doc who was analyzing the results told me that my lungs were as clear as a non- smoker’s, based on how long I could exhale and how strong my breath was. When I told them how long I had smoked, they were surprised my results were as good as they were.
    I say all that to give you a real life example of a thirty year smoker whose lungs have appeared to clear up after twenty plus years of not smoking.

P Thought and Jakedog like this.
  18. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I knew I really had to quit in 2016. I ended up hospitalized for an unrelated issue. An incident occurred in which the ER believed I was having a heart attack (I was not, thankfully) and ran me through every test in the book. I remember sitting in my hospital room when a cardiologist came in and said “I have your chest X-ray here” and I thought “whoa nelly, here it comes...” and my wife and I both had to scrape our jaws up off the floor when he said “well I can see here you’re definitely not a smoker, so that’s good!”.

I knew I’d never get another get out of jail free card that big. It took me a few more years, but I finally did it.

hdvades likes this.
  19. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

That's awesome dude. I have almost four years now, and I still get the occasional craving. I just had to decide that I preferred to spend what little extra money I had on guitars instead of just straight up burning it. Needless to say, I have gotten a decent amount of gear during that time. I noticed also that having anything to drink made the cravings worse and couldn't enjoy it much, so I don't really drink anymore either.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's the first song I ever did on stage, in front of probably 300 people in a local country-music revue. I retired it after I quit smoking, though, except for a few times at home alone. . . .

stevemc, nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.