I just purchased "enter artist name here" signature model. Why??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Mar 23, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think I would like

Joan Jett sig guitar
    John Hiatt J45
    Rory Gallagher

Oh yea, Joe Strummers

2. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I do have a Les Paul, and the Silver Sky is a John Mayer signature model although I'd have bought it regardless of the names on the guitar. The instrument is the important thing, I really don't care who's signed it.

3. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat...This is an early 90's Made in Japan model. Bought for the scalloped neck. I also love the big headstock and Olympic white body with contrasting black parts.

Fender SRV Strat...bought for the neck shape and Texas Specials.

Fender USA James Burton Signature Telecaster... again bought for the neck shape and versatility of the pickup switching. I honestly believe that this is the best production Telecaster that Fender have ever made. Ol' James knew what he was doing when he specified the features on the guitar.

4. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

Jimmie Lee MIM Strat-Neck, Pickups and better hardware.
    Flea RW Jazz bass same as above...

5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I personally won’t buy anything with somebody’s signature on it just because I like the musician or artist. If I were to buy another signature guitar or bass it would definitely be because of the features and not because of the signature. I owned a carvin BB 75 that I put hundreds and hundreds of hours on and I had no idea who he was until I decided by the bass and researched him. I also had the Jimmy Vaughan strat strictly because a friend of mine needed the money. I’d like to get another one of those but only because of the soft V-neck profile. That’s just me though I really don’t buy anything with somebody’s name on it uless I really want to support it. I won’t shill for anyone for free. Not Nike, not under armor or Monster or any of that ****.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I've been playing my Roy Smeck lately -- not even a signature model but a genuine Roy Smeck brand guitar (made by Harmony). I try to tell everybody that I play it just 'cause it's a nice guitar, and not because I worship Roy Smeck, but nobody believes me.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I've played some signature guitars that I thought were interesting, but unless something only available on that model is the clincher for you, they strike me as pretty similar to other models in the series. I bought 5 of my 6 guitars used and I don't think anyone famous played them. The only guitar I bought new was purchased in 1974. I don't think anyone famous played that one either. I'm thinking that the only way I'll have a signature guitar is to sign the back of the headstock myself.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I think I'd really like the Tom Johnston Martin because it would the exact martin that I would like and I think Tommy is a good guy, great voice, good guitar player and distinct... and has written some good tunes... and, maybe the Glenn Frey Takamine. I think Lindley and ry cooder play them and Glenn sure played the crap outta his... I'd probably like it. I DO currently own the Pete Anderson Larrivee... it is the best guitar I've ever owned...

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I was looking for a Strat, last one I owned was in the 80’s. I tried a EC strat and fell in love with the soft V neck, the mid boost tone and the looks. It, like my mim Tele, will never go.

5C0CB5B3-8C33-4942-B977-2C543DB39AB5.jpeg

MattyK-USA likes this.
  10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Man, that's one good-looking guitar, right there. I can dig it.

rad1 likes this.
  11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I always thought GE Smith was a guitar company.
    Learn something new everyday.
    Oh well.
    I would get a Gilmour strat but at the price they are sellin it, it’s highway robbery. So ill stick with what I have

12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

I helped a friend out of a jam and bought his Jimmie Vaughan strat. Wish I still had it. That soft V neck.....drool. I would never buy a dog axe because of who played it. Having added that, I would like a Malcolm Young style Gretsch because I dig symmetrical double cuts and plain tops in natural.

13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Jimmie also plays his stock.That way he could get one anywhere in the country
    if something happened.I sold mine.Wish I hadn't .( thought I was just gonna play my SG,I was wrong). I'm getting another one. I also hve my eye on
    the Brad Paisley silver tele.

14. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I don't have one; the only one I have an interest in is the Ed O'Brien strat, as he deliberately designed it to be affordable (which matters to me) and designed for a different sort of guitar work to the usual. I didn't get one as I already had a white Fernandes strat with sustainer. I moved in the direction of the EOB model by fitting a JB Jnr bridge pickup (and a Vintage Hot Stack, as I couldn't get a single Texas Special). Obviously, this does not get me either the neck profile or the mojo, but I'm not a good enough guitarist to deserve them.

15. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

I bought an Eric Johnson Strat the year they came out (2005) because of the glowing reviews. Ordered one online. Shortly after I ordered it, a buddy and I were out doing stuff and we decided to stop at a big chain music store. They had a wall full of EJs, at least a dozen. Curious to check out what I’d just bought, I played one, then another, until I got to a beautiful sunburst one (same as I ordered). This guitar had a rich, mellow tone totally unlike the others. I played every EJ they had and they all sounded shrill compared to this one. I had to have it! Suddenly, my buddy said he would buy the one I had ordered! I bought the guitar on the spot. When the other one arrived, it sounded shrill just like the others. We both still have and love our matching EJ Strats but I think I really got a special one. Goes to show it really does pay to “play around.”

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I recently bought a Chris Shiflett Telecaster because I like the 4 knob Tele Custom pot configuration and I like a Tele bodies and I like the belly reliefon the back and I love shoreline gold. I mainly gig Telecasters and the HH pickups give me a nice humbuckers option.

I’m a Foo Fighters fan but that really wasn’t part of the big attraction to the guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chino likes this.
  17. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've owned a number of Jimmie Vaughan Strats because I like the specs. Not a huge fan of his playing. I also owned a Richie Kotzen Tele but also because I love that guitar. He does happen to be my favorite singer/player but that had nothing to do with it. Had an Epi Lucille but yet again only because it's a great guitar. I think that's it. I'll own an EJ Strat one day if I can afford one.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've owned jeff beck, Robert cray, srv, john mayer strats. each one of those had features that made them really good, in different ways. but I never bought/traded for one for the artist's name on it.

a friend just got an eric Johnson strat, the one with an f-hole. it is one of the best strats I've ever played.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just realized that more than half of my guitar collection are signature models.
    7 of the 11.
    Yikes!

20. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Artist Signature models hold their resale value more than most guitars, so there’s that.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.