I just purchased "enter artist name here" signature model. Why??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Gibson Angus Young sig SG for a few years. Bought it because they look cool, unique color with the lyre vibrola and 69 look, pickups sound great and it was the cheapest way to get all that in a Gibson SG. I was hoping it would increase in Value but I broke even when I recently sold it to pay bills and fund some parts for a new tele.

Most of the signature guitars I have seen offer unique things that usually justify the slight upcharge. Guitars like the Robert Cray hardtail, Kotzen Tele for contour body, fat neck and pickups, Angus SG, Warren Haynes Les Paul for no nibs, neck shape and switch mods, Trucks SG for the 60's look and faux vibrola all offer cool specs that justify the purchase imo. Maybe not for new prices but certainly on the used market for a good deal.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    bftfender likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The only signature models I stick with are ones like "Fender" "Gibson" "PRS" ... go and add "Slash" "Santana" "EVH" ... and all of a sudden you went from trying to sell that guitar to all the "Fender" fans (because the "Gibson" fans don't give it a second glance) into a smaller Venn diagram of "Fender"+"Santana" fans. There may even be some fans that actively hate or can't stand something the signature artist does outside of playing guitar (like a lead singer in a popular band butting into politics opinions about a country they are not even a citizen of) -- and so those guitar buyers will avoid any model associated with that player. Others could be benign like "I don't know who Avril Lavigne is, why do I want a Tele with her name on it? Does that make it a "chick's guitar" too?". So there is a lot of down side to producing signature models.

The only upside is the factory can tell the retailers they have something new to talk about. I also think there are a lot of employees at the guitar factory brands who are excited working with a signature player like "Kieth Richards", meet them, get some selfies, and interact on a personal level -- even if it does not make financial sense to produce those guitars for the factory.

One thing I find surprising ... there are artists that support Environmental and Global Warming initiatives, have a significant swath of their fan base passionately involved with caring about those issues, and yet the artist is up on stage playing rain forest lumber or even worse specifying their signature guitar is all rain forest lumber "for tones" because they must not be able to play at all without that wooden crutch. Play what you preach.

3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

People like to hate on Sig models. I love ‘em. I’m usually a modded, and the signature models, many times, comes with things I would have done anyway. I’m all for them!! Just don’t like when their name is on the front of the headstock. Or like the Alex Lifeson ES Les Paul, on the body next to the neck pickup. I’d sacrifice for him though.

4. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

I don't own any sig guitars, but there's a few I have my eye on. Why? I like the way they look to be honest. Specs have a part, but mostly the looks. Not sure I'll ever go the custom made route, unless maybe an acoustic

5. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean
    Ibanez GB10
    Gibson BB King Lucille
    Fender Kenny Wayne Shepherd MIM Strat.
    PRS SE Santana

The Lucille was the only signature I bought because of the name. The Chet is my favorite.

6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like mine. The neck is the 24 7/8th so maybe you would prefer the OM with the longer neck. They emit more sound. To each there own.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I'm always looking for a combination of comfortable neck and good sounding pickups. Whose name is on it has never played a part in my decision. I do have both the EJ and EC Strats, but for the reason I gave above.

8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

I got a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster because it was unique spec-wise. Hot 'P90' style pickups, slinky neck plays itself. I probably wouldn't have bought a more traditional JM, but now I'm sold on 'em.

And I bought a Wilko Johnson Tele as it was the cheapest way to get a 60's spec Fender at £501 ($660). And it's a great playing and sounding guitar. I think it looks cool as well, with the single-ply red pickguard.

So I think a sig model can get you a particular set of features that can make all the difference.

9. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Signature models are marketing hype. Nothing wrong with em, just more guitars and gear.

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Jem 777 for the ACTION not for the Artist to which Im a fan.Had to sell it due to it ended up hurting my wrist so bad that It just wasn't for me.I learned after that I need a fat neck.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to own a Muddy Waters, but just never bonded with it, so I moved it on last year, don't really miss it. I liked the idea of it more then the actual guitar.

So now, I just have my home-made Albert Collins tribute.

Why? Because I love Albert and his music and it makes me happy to have a guitar that looks like his and a Quad Reverb to go with it. Even though i don't generally try to cop his style, I like to see those 2 pieces every day.

1019181559_resized.jpg

Flaneur, pondcaster and Chip like this.
  12. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought an Ibanez JSM10 Scofield almost two years ago. Not too much of a Scofield fan, it was as close to a early 80's spec AS200 as I could get w/out paying the vintage price. It's a phenomenal guitar! Being a Chinese guitar I figured I'd be swapping out more than a few parts...only the tuners were replaced. I actually like the pickups. They do come close enough to the original Super 58's I have in an '82 AM50 to have kept me from replacing them over the last 2 years. The fret ends are the best I've ever played, perfectly rounded. I bought a 2018 ES335 Traditional two weeks ago...and surprisingly I'm sending it back. The 335 is a beautiful guitar and plays great...but the JSM10 is it's equal. The pots and bridge pup were better in the Gibson, but the workmanship of the two is equal. I just can't justify having two guitars that are that similar.

CharlieO likes this.
  13. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

I got a Thurston Moore JM because it was $800.

[​IMG]

14. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

Every time I think I'd like a Jeff Beck Strat, I remember that it's a strat, and that I'm no Jeff Beck. And then I eat chips until I feel sickened.

fnkmstr, Festofish and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 Tele-Meister

Id consider an Eric Johnson strat if it wasnt for the stupid aged plastic...or if I liked his music. :twisted:

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a parts Strat that I made a decal for that says "Magophonic (what I brand my guitars) Signature Model." There isn't any signature on it anywhere.

I also own a Les Paul model Gibson. I don't play anything like Les , but I did the guitar.

17. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

I've owned 2 signature models; a Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat (sold later on) and a CS Artist Proof Angus SG, which I still have.

Reason for Yngwie strat:
    Scalloped frets make it super easy to play up and down the neck and if you like to vibrato, it's so easy on this guitar.

CCB35BB5-FDF6-400F-B90A-8AA6CE75BB7C.jpeg

Reason for Angus SG:
    -I'm a fan but that wouldn't be enough to just want an SG with his name on it.
    *It's spec'd out to my exact tastes..
    -ebony fretboard
    -rock hard maple neck (instead of mahogany like all other sgs)
    -my fav bridge humbucker, custom wound SD Pearly Gates
    -neck feels great (I have medium hands), especially if you like to play cowboy chords with your thumb then do a quick solo up the neck. I tried all the different Angus Young models before and after this one. This model has the "thickest" 60s neck compared to his other signatures (IMO they were waaaaay to small and thin).
    -I was told that an Artist Proof model means they sent all the guitars (20 or less, I have #10) to play and approve of each one. Who knows if he really did try each one of them out, but the idea is cool.
    4FA58AB2-A9C9-4FC0-B435-D597F981C584.jpeg

18. eedwards

eedwards Tele-Meister

red.jpg I bought a Simon Neil Signature Strat a few years ago because it looked like the Mark Knopfler signature Strat that I could not afford. I actually preferred the Fiesta Red on the Simon Neil. It was a great playing guitar, but a little heavy, so I gave it to one of my daughter's friends who was learning to play. I'd buy another - they are great guitars.

pondcaster and tintag27 like this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I bought one of those purple flake Jazzmaster because I wanted a purple flake Hazzmaster.

When it arrived it had J Mascis’ name on it.

So I guess I own one

;)

20. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought the Epi Firebird I at a price I couldn't pass up. '64 specs taken from that guy's original Treasure with a more authentic Firebird pickup in it. Gibson wont even do that & they manufactured the damn thing all those years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.