I just purchased "enter artist name here" signature model. Why??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Mar 23, 2019.

1. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

I got the idea for this thread from another one, imagine that. Anyway, lots of back and forth about any signature items. Guitars, amps, pedals, on and on etc..... so that leaves the question, what was your motivation for buying the product?

I have a GE Smith tele, I bought it because it is very different from most signature items. The inlays on the finger board, the half size bridge plate and the way the bridge pup is mounted. It's a very cool instrument.
    And of course some of GE's mojo gotta come with it right?

What is your story?

gitarjoe, brookdalebill and LGOberean like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I don't own any signature models, but if that's what works for someone, i have no issue with it.

Piggy Stu and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I've always wanted an Eric Johnson Strat but I've never pulled the trigger because of the price. Eric stressed over every little detail and I happen to really like 50s strats over all others. I've heard it's one of the best Fenders you can buy too but I've never played one.

thunderbyrd, Chino, brbadg and 2 others like this.
  4. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I agree with Steve Holt... I like the specs and look of the EJ strat. Kinda pricey tho!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I picked up a Cort MGM1 Matt Guitar Murphy signature on an auction site damn cheap simply because it was a Cort and no one wanted to bid on it or figured it was just another cheap Asian import. I knew what it was and figured I could flip it for a tidy profit. Once it showed up and I started playing around with it figured it was a keeper. Also have a Paul Westerberg First Act. Don't even really like PW all that much but collect First Acts.

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got a few Les Pauls. That's about as deep into signature models as I'm willing to go.

- D

7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If I was looking for a fat-neck, hard tail Strat, the Robert Cray signature would be at the front of a small queue...…

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have three Les Les Pauls, a Chet Atkins and an Eric Johnson.
    My avatar guitar is my signature model.
    It has unique and necessary features for my style of country guitar playing.
    Believe it or not, after over 50 years of playing, and 45 years of gigging, I do have a unique style.
    I purchased them all to sound like myself, and I do!
    I’m really glad Les Paul, Chet Atkins, and Eric Johnson were such great players that the guitar manufacturing world stood up and took notice.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Stubee, pondcaster, Flaneur and 2 others like this.
  9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I bought a J. Mascis JM because of the wider nut and the lack of a skunk stripe as compared to the other Squier JMs.

I like that his sig is on the back.

Edit: I dig J. Mascis and Dino Jr. but I prefer not to have obvious signature models except for LPs.

brookdalebill and BorderRadio like this.
  10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Got a mim Jimmy Vaughn in trade last week,,why ? tex mex pups & he hacked it up trying to relic..favor rejects in life...have Epi SG Iommi..why the Gibson Iommi pups..

11. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love the look of the GE Smith. If they offered it in left hand, I’d pounce on it.

Alex W, Shuster and ronzhd like this.
  12. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I have one of ten gold Lovepedal Tchula pedals played through and then signed and numbered inside by Josh Smith. He sold the 10 pedals as part of his Kickstarter campaign for an album release he did a few years ago. I have #3. Holding it, even unplugged, you can feel the mojo. I swear it glows occasionally(very subtlety) and figure he must be playing somewhere when that happens...

String Tree and bftfender like this.
  13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The only one I have is a Muddy Waters Tele

Flaneur, teleforumnoob, Chip and 2 others like this.
  14. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I got a Jimmy Vaughn signature neck (off that same MIM) I put on my black Highway One strat. Nice neck!

Shuster and bftfender like this.
  15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

That is a great line, and I know that feeling.

musicalmartin likes this.
  16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I found the most sensible sig bmodel was Squiers Joe Trohman Tele . Far off tele spec it was far more versatile than its spec and signator told us .A dream big headstock 12 inch fret board ,medium jumbos and some good sounds were on offer but not a tele sound

17. bftfender

no doubt !!..I got first 2 fenders in quite some time & am very pleased with the necks. The guy sanded the neck a lil in relic attempt & i think it just fits my hand exactly ..

rich815 likes this.
  18. bftfender

cool, actually the Lovepedal sale thread had me check that pedal out..tell me more !! very inerested

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Michael Akerfeldt PRS because I traded my Peavey Delta Blues amp for it. The guy selling the guitar was willing to trade for a tube amp. I had been trying to sell the amp for a long time, so I contacted him, and we traded.

Now I'm trying to sell the guitar.

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I suppose my #1 (avatar) is "kinda" my signature model, although in the tradition of B.B. King's Lucille, or Clapton's Blackie, I call mine Mortimer.....to honor author John Mortimer, plus it's a terrific Charles Dickens-esque name. You truly couldn't buy the combination of body, neck, pickups or hardware off the rack anywhere. I'm told by other musicians that I have my own particular "style" and sound, although I easily hear my many influences in everything I play. Incidentally, I refer to my guitar as a "mongrelcaster".....acknowledging the best traits of a mixed-breed dog. (which are often the BEST to have)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.