I just heard and saw my first F35 here.

Slim Chance

Tele-Afflicted
We just bought a house in the flight path of Pautuxent Naval Air Station. The jets are a real conversation stopper. We’re probably 10 miles away so by the time they pass over they’re going low and slow. I suppose that will be the perfect time to take the Tele and Vibrolux to “10”.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Do any of you aviation enthusiasts know of a website with sound samples of aircraft?
I'm sure there must be one. I spent the first years of my life in the flight path of the then Kelly AFB,
and recall hearing the C-47s, C-119s and C-124s. Years later, I worked at a job near Randolph AFB and
heard the constant whine of T-37s. I can also recall the rare B-52 and F-4 takeoff sounds, all pretty
unforgettable.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I have F/A 18 Super Hornets turn over my neighborhood every spring for the Naval Academy Commissioning week. They’re the loudest things I’ve ever heard.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
We just bought a house in the flight path of Pautuxent Naval Air Station. The jets are a real conversation stopper. We’re probably 10 miles away so by the time they pass over they’re going low and slow. I suppose that will be the perfect time to take the Tele and Vibrolux to “10”.

We get giant helicopters coming from there over our house.

WalthamMoosical

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Yep we got them F35's in Vermont and they are LOUD. But it's been peaceful recently--I think they sent them all to Europe.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
I lived in the Seacoast area of NH when Pease AFB was still open. In fact, when it closed, the economy of the area took such a hit I moved back to Nashua. I was in Durham/Newmarket in 1981 when Anwar Sadat, president of Egypt, was assassinated. I've never heard so many big bombers and transports take off continuously for what seemed like days on end. Every light on the base was lit and the night skies glowed that peculiar orange-pink of high pressure sodium lamps. There wasn't much on the news but some serious stuff was going on to warrant so much activity. It was unnerving.

boop

Tele-Holic
We have C-5 Galaxy cargo planes flying around on a regular basis as there is a squadron of them located about 15 miles south of here. they are amazingly quiet, very large, and seem to just float around, quite surreal. Often there is other various military hardware mucking about: fighters, helicopters, prop planes. Thankfully not super loud except the occasional helicopter flying very low. Haven't noticed any F-35s yet, not sure If i'd know the difference from a F-22

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
I have always gone to air shows my whole life. The loudest jet I ever heard was a F4 Phantom taking off. It literally sounded like a bat out of hell.
Howdy K3C....

I've never been to an air show...but, I've watched them on the boob tube on occasion.
I wasn't in the Air Force so my experiences with them were in a land far, far away a long time ago at a close distance.
I have no clue what actual db they project but your whole body feels it.

Back to it....

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Yes, I remember those but I still blame most of my hearing loss on the once classic Detroit 2-stroke diesel engines.

If a person were to experience some hearing loss from being around noisy but cool-sounding engines, Detroit Diesel two-strokes would be a cool way to do it. What a memorable racket! I miss hearing it. Some farmer in our area has an old cabover grain truck with, I think, a 6-71 in it that comes out around harvest time every year and goes rasping and buzzing past our house. I love it.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I was in maintenance and lived on or within a few miles of active flightlines for many years, Castle's B-52G & H, KC-135A & R, then Travis with C-5B, C-141B, KC-10A. All extremely loud in different ways and I learned to sleep soundly. I remember the 135A as being the loudest somehow.

I was only briefly near the little planes on a TDY or two, but recall scrambling F-16s (at Mountain Home) being even louder, though there's no way that's right. Probably just the cool factor.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a friend who worked as a mechanic at that local airfield. He definitely preferred working on the A10s that preceded the F16s. Apparently, several maintenance items required removing the airframe from the engine on the F16s.

Down in Austin, a coworker owned a house off tge end of one of the Mueller runways. When the airport moved to Bergstrom, he sold as the appraisal tripled in 3 months.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I get hawks flying over my house. Seen one carrying a mouse the other day. Crows fly over all the time too.

NeverTooLate

Tele-Meister
I live somewhat near Luke AFB. We are quite often in the F35 flight paths (in/out). I like when they are coming in low and slow right over our home when returning to base. We have been here for 18 years- the noise is something we are used to. They usually stop flying by 10pm, and don't usually fly on Sundays. The training cycle seems to also include at least a week a month with no flying.

Anyway, it's cliche I know, but to me it's the "sound of freedom".

People who move in next to the airport, and then complain about the noise, bug me...

They pass over my Peoria house sometimes, too, but usually fly just a few hundred yards to the west of me.

In any case, F35s have been around here for a while :)

I was an aviation geek as a teenager so aviation noise does not bother me though I AM easily bothered by anything other than rock, aviation, or the sounds of nature:) So yeah, I can take loud Marshalls and F35s and thunderstorms but I always complain of loud cars/trucks and cannot stand loud bikes and I can handle opera or Mozart for only so long :lol:

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I saw an F-something today flying really low over the tree tops, they often run training missions up here in the mountains. I have no idea where they are based. We see some big ol' planes doing maneuvers sometimes, but I don't what they are.

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
Early 1980’s I worked in Sunnyvale, CA next to Moffet Field. U2 would take off every day around 10am. It would just go straight up.
I worked on the big wind tunnel at Moffet Field. We had a good view of the U2s when we were up on top.

Frontman

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of interesting planes in Honolulu, including the F-35 and B2 bomber. They are loud.