I just hate thieves...

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
Probably been asked, but doesn't jacking up a car, sawing off a catalytic converter, or stealing a driveshaft set off an alarm system?

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
Probably been asked, but doesn't jacking up a car, sawing off a catalytic converter, or stealing a driveshaft set off an alarm system?
The thieves like to choose SUVs or pickups because they don’t need to be jacked up. The thief crawls under and in only a few seconds the cat is off. A good Sawzall would be fast and smooth enough to not trip an alarm.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I think most alarms are deactivated when one end is lifted up so that it doesn't just keep going off when towed. In the case of high clearance vehicles, they can slide underneath and make the theft.

It is almost getting to the point that installing a bluetooth camera beneath your car to alert your phone might be a good idea. Just saying that shows how pathetic people have become.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire

No alarm on my old 12 year old Tundra :(

I have installed some anti theft devices to keep it from happening again.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I have installed an anti theft skid plate that covers the front catalytic converters and half of the rear converters.

Now if someone really wants to steal these aftermarket cats, they will have some extra work to do. It will not take just a second over a minute to cut them off next time.

I am also going to put a couple of these on the skid plate.

1653414511032.png

Who knows, maybe they will be discouraged if their hands get shocked into two pieces. :)

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If it were up to me, a slap on the wrist would be more like THIS.
Slap.jpg

It also happened to several bandmates and even my sister-in-law.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Just saw a person on the Nextdoor app nearby say their cats were stolen a couple weeks ago, they had them replaced, and they were just stolen again.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
My friends who use bikes get them stolen on a regular basis. Thieves can take my doc martens when i am dead on the pavement, but quality is not what they are used to be.
Sorry about that sad story.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My friends who use bikes get them stolen on a regular basis. Thieves can take my doc martens when i am dead on the pavement, but quality is not what they are used to be.
Sorry about that sad story.

I tried to get rid of an accordion. I left in on the back seat of my car, and rolled down the rear windows. When I came back someone had put a second accordion next to it!

Spox

Tele-Meister
The world is becoming a huge valley filled with sheep and wolves. One has to decide whether he will be a sheep or a wolf.
Your comment reminded me of this movie quote.

"You should move to a small town where the rule of law still exists. You will not survive here. You are not a wolf and this is a land of wolves now."

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Your comment reminded me of this movie quote.

"You should move to a small town where the rule of law still exists. You will not survive here. You are not a wolf and this is a land of wolves now."
Wise words wherever they came from. Me, I'm just an old goat. There are people who will tell you that things are no worse now, maybe that they are even better now than they were fifty years ago. They will often have a handful of "statistics" to prove what they say is true. The one thing they forget is that I was alive fifty years ago, and KNOW the truth.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Wise words wherever they came from. Me, I'm just an old goat. There are people who will tell you that things are no worse now, maybe that they are even better now than they were fifty years ago. They will often have a handful of "statistics" to prove what they say is true. The one thing they forget is that I was alive fifty years ago, and KNOW the truth.
Two years ago as the 'vid was getting started, my close to retirement boss said that it was looking like things were going to be like the 70s. The crime etc. This was like March 2020. Sadly, I think thing are shaping up to be worse than he predicted.

mike stanger

TDPRI Member
After I bought my Subaru Outback in 2017 I learned Subaru invisibly stamps the VIN in several undetectable places under the car. They also have an app that can locate a stolen car, using the sensors that are in the computer chips.
I don't know if all that would save the catalytic converter though. The Outback's ground clearance is about as high as my old Ford 4x4 Ranger's clearance. It has skid plates under it as factory standard equipment. But it still looks like it would be hard to get under on a creeper to me.

One fairly cheap way to stall a theft would possibly be the use of bronze manifold pipes instead of steel pipes. Copper-rich bronze alloy gums up any saw blade's teeth quickly to the point the blade is useless. Bronze won't stop a pipe cutter, though. The hard bronze alloys that make a pipe cutter slow going won't bend like steel, but running over a rock could break those alloys, where steel pipe would just dent.

Thievery is an immortal problem for sure. They've always been around and always will be.
regards,
stanger

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Two years ago as the 'vid was getting started, my close to retirement boss said that it was looking like things were going to be like the 70s. The crime etc. This was like March 2020. Sadly, I think thing are shaping up to be worse than he predicted.
You're boss may have had a crystal ball. I lived through the 70s, they couldn't touch what's going on now.