1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Just Gave a 21st Century Guitar Lesson

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tonyp145, Dec 2, 2020.

1. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

So last week I posted on Facebook that I'm available to give lessons on home recording software (Logic, Ableton Live, etc.) and a musician I met briefly a few years ago commented that he should hire me to help him figure out how to use his pedal. I asked him which one and he said the Boss GT-1, which I used to own. I said sure so we booked a half hour lesson last night.

It went great. Because I have owned so much equipment over the years I just read through the manual before we got on the call and googled a couple of pix of the pedal and off we went. I was able on a Zoom call to help him navigate the device, modifying sounds and explaining to him a whole lot of details that aren't covered in the manual. He's a good guitar player, just not a very techy person so it was a perfect match. He enjoyed the session so much we're going to meet again next week at the same time and work on plugging his GT-1 into his Mac so he can record himself in GarageBand.

As a homework assignment I'm having him create a new patch imitating the sound of Jamie West-Oram's guitar from The Fixx. He'd never heard of them (kids these days!) ;) so I sent him a link to the video for One Thing Leads to Another. I know that probably seems like a funny assignment, but it's an easy one for a beginner. I told him he would probably want a compressor pedal, the Clean Twin amp, maybe some chorus and a little reverb. He plays a Strat and the riff is dead simple so he should be able to nail it.

I'm just laughing because I used to give guitar lessons when I was younger but nothing like this. I figured if any group of people could appreciate what a strange world this has become it would be you folks here. As Bugs Bunny used to say, eh, it's a living. :p

KirbyBarba, natec, rz350 and 3 others like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

How much do you charge and are you familiar with EZ Drummer?

3. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

$30 bucks for a half hour and yes I have EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer, very cool products!

Torren61 likes this.
  4. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

I've worked in IT for over 30 years so I've always made good money and my only real "vice" is a fascination with electronic musical gear. I've bought and sold more equipment than -- well let's be honest I wouldn't want to get into a contest with anybody here! Let's just say I've blown a lotta dough on gear over the years. My wife often asks me, "can't you find a way to use your powers for good?" Now I think I may have stumbled into one. I actually genuinely love talking about this stuff so it's cool to be able to make a little money doing that! :-D

KirbyBarba and electrichead like this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

Good on you. A lesser teacher wouldn't post all this information on the net. They'd keep it to themselves to have an edge on the competition. I'd take a Reaper how-to lesson before I'd book a guitar lesson. Thanks for giving me that idea. Good luck on your endeavor.

6. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was recently reading about Jamie West-Oram, I always figured his tone to be a Strat on bridge/middle or middle/neck , then I learned about the Ibanez Blazer BL-100 and the phasing switch....

I think I could get pretty close with one of my Strats....

tonyp145 likes this.
  7. tonyp145

tonyp145 Tele-Meister

Oh thanks, I'm not worried about competition because frankly, if they're out there I've yet to meet them. Over the past couple of years I've spent a bundle on online classes because I knew my knowledge of the subject had gotten dated and I wanted to up my game. But all anybody offers is a series of canned videos -- which aren't bad, they're usually very well done, but good luck finding a teacher you can actually interact with and get feedback from! So I thought after 30 years of recording in Cubase, Acid, Reason, FL Studio, Ableton Live and Logic plus about 2,000 hours of dedicated study the past 2.5 years (I refer to this as my graduate degree in music production) I figured shoot I'll hang out a shingle!

As for Reaper, there are only a couple of DAWs I won't go near -- Reaper and Pro Tools. I've tried them both and really didn't like them. I may have to learn PT just because it's such a standard, but I know there are people who are very passionate about Reaper. I bet if you posted on a discussion forum you could find a mentor who could help answer your questions. Good luck with it!

Toast likes this.
  8. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

It sounds like you've got music production chops. I'm sure you'll find students. I'm a Reaper fan because it's cheap, but I also think it's good software judging by its user base. Last I checked on Ableton it was a $600 compared to Reaper at $60. My recording needs are pretty modest so I don't see paying huge amounts of money to throw a song together. I might change my mind at some point, but right now I'd rather spend my recording money on a good microphone. Anyway, good luck with the lessons.

tonyp145 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.