I JUST found out the significance of Amps :)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Digiplay, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Okay, this is a new month, so I'm cashing in my "Dumb Question Of The Month" Card!

As some of you know, I've been struggling over how I love my 2008 AVRI 52, and I think the stock pickups sound fine

Until..............................................................................................................................

I try my 2015 Nash T-63, and I love it equally well, and ashamedly like its Lollar pickups better than the Fender pickups.

Some of you have suggested installing the same Lollar type pickups in the AVRI to see if that will make a difference, so I bought some used ones at a great price, but I haven't installed them yet because I've been trying different amps (I had been going directly into my UAD Apollo Twin Duo interface connected to some JBL LSR-308's), and damn, depending how I adjust the knobs on the amps, I can make both guitars sound GREAT, and I can make them sound 99.99% (I'm too wimpy to use the word EXACTLY :) ) the same!

As I have now cashed in my "Dumb Question Of The Month" Card, here I go :)

Am I wrong in assuming that an Amp can have just as much influence, perhaps even MORE, on the sound of an electric guitar than the pickups can?

2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Not dumb at all. Check YouTube. So many videos do the cheap guitar expensive amp and expensive guitar cheap amp comparison and they all find a cheap guitar through a decent amp sounds better than an expensive guitar through a cheap amp.

I’m assuming an expensive guitar through an expensive amp is best. But I do cheap guitars into a blues jr.

3. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

IMHO, a good amp is as much a musical instrument as the guitar is - my belief is that having a great amp is really important. I find that the amps that I choose can be as inspiring at times as the guitars that I use.

PARCO, drmordo, Fendereedo and 5 others like this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Amps are way more important to your tone than the guitar.

zook, supersoldier71, RomanS and 15 others like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Just my opinion. The guitar is the primary interface. It’s what you play. What your fingers touch. Choose wisely. The amp is what you play through. Again, choose carefully. Do you want cleans? A little edge? Rawk? That comes from the amp. A great amp helps you get the most from your guitar. Choose carefully. Good enough isn’t good enough if you’re particular about your tone.

6. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

Josh Smith asks every guitar player in his interviews whether they'd rather have a lousy guitar and a great amp or vice versa (in a gig situation). Forget the #s, but he's firmly in the great amp's more necessary than lousy guitar camp.

Digiplay likes this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

BTW, I'm assembling a pedalboard, and I didn't think it would be wise to bring up how much THAT will affect how a guitar sounds as well :)

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You're not wrong. Amps make a big difference. There are many things that make a difference.

First - Assume the player is a benchmark, same player sounds better on some gear/guitar than other. But better gear doesn't change what it can't. It doesn't account for the player. If I play Eric Johnson's guitar through his rig I'll sound like when you pull out the silverwear drawer too quickly but I'll look good doing it.

Also, FWIW, I think some Fender pickups are great and some are really not. So if you need more heat or a different output from your guitar, pickups like Lollar or Fralin or many other makers can make a nice change.

mexicanyella, mad dog and Digiplay like this.
  9. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

And I'm assuming that an expensive guitar through an expensive amp BETTER damn sure sound better than a cheap guitar through an expensive amp dlew919 :)

But I'm also assuming that the amp has the MOST influence, and if one has a guitar that's not cheap, nor is it expensive (ones opinion of that price point is subjective), that will have an even smaller effect than the amp will.

10. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

And of the amp, the SPEAKER is what you actually hear. So pickups =10%, amp =50%, speaker =100%. Pickups are only for fine tuning after everything else is in line.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not saying that a really expensive guitar sounds exactly the same as a cheap guitar. Every guitar sounds different. But what makes some guitars expensive isn't because they sound better, at least in my experience. It's that (hopefully) they play better, feel better, look nicer, and sound really good. I don't think for example that you can expect a USA Fender Telecaster to "sound better" than a Squier Affinity. They will sound different but I couldn't say one will sound better than the other.

playforfun, mad dog and Jowes_84 like this.
  12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

1. It’s a part, yes, but part of the whole. Any quality amp one can get the job done. The real mojo is the player and note choice/placement.
    2. That said, loving what you hear can motivate to be a better player.

Roscoe295, JustABluesGuy and Digiplay like this.
  13. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

I have always gone with the idea that with the electric guitar, the instrument is actually the guitar AND the amp

Baron13, dannyh, SRHmusic and 4 others like this.
  14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Play a 60's Super Reverb and your question will be answered.

15. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I spent the first 30 years of my 40 years of playing thinking it was all guitars, and amps where just a speaker.

In the past 10 years I have realized how wrong I was.

I thought Leo Fender was a genius just with his guitar/bass designs, and he was, but what he did with amps is like genius times 10.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As far as I'm concerned an amp can make a TON more difference than most pickup swaps. Of course if you go wild with something weird like Alumitones or etc then that's another thing...

Digiplay likes this.
  17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I know that WireLine, but the level of ones "mojo" was not what I was talking about :) :) :) :)

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I love this line of thought. I'm a solid "the amp matters more" person.

Digiplay likes this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Well that idea is a good one Hamstein, but you have to have a CABLE between them to achieve that idea :) :) :)

Hamstein likes this.
  20. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

I also believe that amp and speaker are most important, but I also LOVE Lollar pickups and Nash guitars too. You own the Lollar pups, so put those in your 08 and then let us know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.