1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just fought off some serious GAS...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Abre, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I can't see much use for a 5;watt amp.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Seems too late now someone bought it, or.....did the g.a.s win?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

I basically kept 'fighting' the GAS until they were all sold out. So I'm not really sure who won, to be honest.

5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Congrats (I think). I see the price of those amps, and it makes me appreciate my amp all the more.

Maybe start with a Lowatt and work your way up.

Abre likes this.
  6. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

I guess it's all about your perspective and what you like to play. I have a '57 Custom Champ five watter and Blackstar HT1r-MKII one watter; they suit me just fine. I almost solely use the power reduction feature on my 20 watt head to knock it down to two watts. Years ago I had a 100 watt Dual Showman. It would be useless to me now. So I guess I could say: 'I can't see much use for a greater than 5;watt amp.'

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I got that email as well...probably because I'd searched Hiwatts at some point...who knows? The Hi-5 looked cool, but of course it has sold out. Maybe you can get one from the next batch?

8. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

I missed out on the all green ones. Probably would have bought one if still available. Then, I literally watch the number available on the black ones go from six to one, then listing closed. I had it in my cart and was searching for Reverb coupons on Google. I probably would have caved had I found one. I am kind of a sucker for green amps and guitars. Cheers, mate!

stormsedge likes this.
  9. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I have several small amps but when I want to play, even around the house, I use a bigger amp like a Super Reverb, with pedals. You can't beat the sound pushing four 10's...

10. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I’m with you. I’ve got a five watt 1x12 combo, a Laney Lionheart, and I love it.

Abre likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

One has to remember that the classic Hiwatts from late 70s on back were completely different beasts than a cheap little Chinese amp with a Hiwatt logo today.
    The little amp might sound great and certainly it's a more useful wattage range than the originals that were designed for people playing stadiums.
    In a nut shell Hiwatt history is kinda like Vox history. At Vox the original owner Dick Denny signed a bad deal with Thomas Organs and went broke because of it. The "Vox" name spent the next 50 or so years being bought and sold and slapped on amps that varied from complete garbage to not too bad. Today they're made in China, sell cheap new and some aren't bad, but nothing like a 60s original in quality or sound. A guy playing a new AC30 plugs into one from 1964 and wonders where the master volume is. Lol

Over at Hiwatt they were making probably the best put together stadium amps on the planet ever! Untill about 1981 when Dave Reeves died. After that the "Hiwatt" logo got slapped on a few good amps and a whole lot of crappy amps.
    If you play a modern one and get used to it, plugging into a 70s DR504 the "little" 50 watter will probably knock you over! It's a completely different thing all together. The old ones had a master volume but it's not like a modern MV at all. You don't turn it way down and get useful sounds out of it. (just left mine cranked)
    Maybe these MIC things are ok I really don't know. But a "real Hiwatt" it isn't.

I could go on about Fender, Marshall and Orange too but you get the idea. They're just logos now on some good amps and some notsogood cheap amps.
    Nothing wrong with cheap!
    Just don't be too surprised when it breaks and winds up in a dumpster. :)

codamedia likes this.
  12. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Consistent relief from GAS comes from a disciplined practice akin to yoga. Reserve some time to still the mind each day.
    Simple cheat: for each minute you spend cruising gear selections and specs, you must play guitar for at least one hour.
    Namaste...

StevesBoogie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.