1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just felt the years. Ritchie Blackmore turns 76 years young today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StratDal, Apr 14, 2021.

1. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

A true Master of the Stratocaster. He's one of the reasons I wanted to play electric. Cheers Mr. Blackmore!

images.jpeg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was a huge fan in my youth!
    He really set the standard for rock guitar playing.
    The Made In Japan album proved Purple were
    a formidable force "live".
    Happy Birthday and thanks Mr. Blackmore!

3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

He's a pretty interesting fellow. There are quite a few YT videos of him and his rock n roll exploits. Rock on Ritchie Blackmore!

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've been a huge Deep Purple fan since the sixties, when I first heard their version of Hush (or Kentucky Woman, whichever came first) They epitomized "heavy" (and always will) for me. The combination of Richie's guitar (and it wasn't always a Strat) and Jon Lord's Hammond organ were simply perfect. Happy Birthday, Richie! ;)
    BTW.....as amazing as Ian Gillan is as a singer, I'll always prefer Rod Evans vocals.

uriah1 and brookdalebill like this.
  5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

On the eve of my 18th birthday in 1973, myself and a several friends went to a Deep Purple concert in Detroit. We lived in a small town and it was a 70 mile drive to get there.

When we got there and arrived at our seats, the stage was empty. Eventually someone used the house PA and announced that a truck had broken down and although it would be a while, the show would go on.

About an hour later, the truck apparently arrived and roadies started moving gear onto the stage. It took another hour or more before the backup band, ZZ Top fired it up. I didn't know much about them at the time, I think they had only released their first record.

They finished their set and the roadies set up DP's gear. It was past 1130 before DP hit the stage. We were ready for it too, all stoned as hell. It was a sold out show, and everyone else there was ready too.

Ritchie hit a power chord, the rest of the band joined in, and they were off with Highway Star.

That may have been the best rock show I ever saw.

When I got home it was about 3 am. I sat on the front porch and went over the memory of the evening. The funny thing is, at the time the Michigan age for drinking was 18, but I didn't have any alcohol all night.

It was a night I will never forget.

6. Heavy Formvar

Heavy Formvar TDPRI Member

Hush was also the first DP Song I ever heard. That funky Blackmore/Jon Lord interplay was where my love for Blackmores stuff started, the DP fan in me started collecting their releases on vinyl...and I turned to Rainbow after hearing Stargazer. Stopped listening to Rainbow though as I prefer DP over Rainbow nowadays but that‘s just me...

Ritchie‘s way of mixing baroque and blues inspired me to make my blues licks a little more 'Bach', e.g. by adding a minor sixth etc. His proficiency kinda made him the most 'technical' axeman of his days and probably the first shredder (aside from Alvin Lee and Rory).

Happy birthday to Mr. Blackmore.

7. StratDal

StratDal Tele-Holic

Well done! Cheers!

P Thought and Doctorx33 like this.
  8. Heavy Formvar

Heavy Formvar TDPRI Member

exactly! Its a pity so many overlook the days where he used to play a semi hollow...Child In Time was his PAF loaded '61 335 and an AC30 with a Rangemaster in between. Jack Griffiths does a good take on that tone in the Peach guitars vid about Ritchies tones.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll drink to that! Sorry about the unwashed coffee cup.

Happy birthday to my favorite rock guitarist.

10. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

I am a huge Blackmore fan... !!
    Happy B-day Ritchie !

11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ritchie was a cut above the rest as far as I was concerned.
    He never got caught up in the Pedal and FX craze.
    What we heard was all him.

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.