I just end up sounding like me. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:27 PM.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Same here. Guess that's why I never lasted with any cover bands.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't mind sounding like me but a couple of years ago I got tired of making every pedal and most of my dirty sounds indistinguishable from one another.
    In recordings it seemed like comparing two dirt pedals that sounded different, in playback I was making them sound the same.

It's really not hard to break out of this, but what I concluded was that in addition to a setting that was just how I liked it, I had to set up other other that were not what I liked.

I still drift back into my range of sound but I can appreciate different sounds more, as long as I keep recording and comparing.
    Recording and playing back sounds seem to be the only thing that makes it possible to create truly different sounds that I can like.
    My habit is to try to force my preferred sound out of the gear.

Of course there are also different clean sounds I get with the same guitar into the same amp, but they all sound like me just because it's me playing.

Frodebro likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

There's no escaping me. I'm not good at lyrics so I play songs written by and for others. The moment I start learning the song it begins to diverge from the original. When I'm finally ready to say I know it, the song has become pretty different. My finger style and vocal style tend to do that. I have two Strats, a Tele, an SG, and an Annie. I occasionally use unique sounds from each of them, but my core sound is pretty consistent across guitars. I use mostly a blended pickup tone. I thought a CS Strat that doesn't offer a bridge and neck combined might shake things up. It did. I've found ways to produce a tone pretty close to the CS Strat middle pickup on my other guitars. I thought I could break the mold by learning/composing a jazz/blues number on a Dorian scale and for a while it was unique. But guess what happened. I'm starting to use landing notes in my leads similarly to the way I use them playing on a Dorian scale, even playing parts of solos quoting from what I've done using a Dorian scale. So what's happened is that I still sound like me except I have a few more things to draw on. It's a little like working out. It's still me, but with more meat on the bones. I think the only way to avoid this is to be a tribute player and emulate someone else's sound and style. For whatever reason, I can't do that. After a few minutes of trying, I'm back to sounding like me.

5. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm not big on pedals, just use my crappy, cheap, old DigiTech RP-50 for almost everything. I think I might have paid $30 for it at a pawnshop years ago.

Two weeks ago, a friend at a local music store gave me a demo of a Strymon Big Sky effects pedal, and I thought to myself !"DAMN I GOTTA have this thing".

It's on eBay right now, and has ten bids on it last I looked. Of course, I'm losing money on it, but it's going for a pretty decent amount, and I just want to move on.....or is it 'move back'?

I'm back on the old DigiTech.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I went to a seminar by Dominic Miller and he suggested you work on sounding like everyone else, which is how he got his gig with sting.

Takes all views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know what I do is a compromise in sound shaping, as I basically have 'crafted' an all purpose amp sound, then just pair it up with one of 3 guitars- A Strat, Dano, Tele ( soon as SG!)

Then for a gig I just pick one guitar- not so much because of they way it sounds ( they all sound good to me/play well).I just pick the one I feel like playing, fir kicks! Just keep it simple- very few variables to futz with.

I do play ALL cover music, so I just try to get ' the sound' of a certain song by having it come out of the playing ( pick attack/strum rhythm, fretting/vibrato, and hitting the signature lick/ phrase) rather than dialing it with gear- NOT a tribute band type player.

Probably now just the result of laziness, don't wanna bring or setup a lot of stuff.
    OR maybe I'm just mediocre!

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Overall I usually sound like myself, but if you listen closely you can hear the influence of everybody that I listen to. So, in that regard, sounding like me is the net result of a mashup of everybody else that I have tried to sound like through the years. This refers to my playing style, though, and not how my gear is dialed in to sound-that's a completely different thing altogether.

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Yeah, no matter what guitar I play, what amp I'm using or what style of music I (try) to play, I just suck.

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I play to the sound in my head which is a clean, warm jazz tone as close to George Benson’s tone as I can get playing solid body guitars. That means I’m predominantly on the neck pickup of my Tele, Strat, or Jazzmaster. More importantly, I play through a Henriksen JazzAmp to get this sound.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

im comfortable with me.....thats why even tho we play covers we make them ours.....thats what all the big boys do. Clapton didn't try to sound like robert johnson with crossroads. We get great comments because of it.

12. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I always sound like me not knowing what I sound like. I really only try half-heartedly to tweak my "tone," usually just so it doesn't sound bad to my ears. It sounds different when I get with a bunch of other people in a venue anyway...

I also don't play covers and don't try to emulate other musicians, so sounding like anybody else would be a total accident anyway.

None of that stops me from buying gear that might make different sounds than what I already have.

13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't want to sound like anyone but me.

14. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

My main guitars are very different - HB, SS, P90.
    3 different amps Fender, Orange, Crate.
    And 3 pedalboards with very similar pedals.
    So I always sound the same. I sound like me.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I find that these days, I acquire gear that allows me to sound like myself more efficiently or louder. I demoed an amp recently that sounded cool, but it was a sound I knew I'd never use so I passed.

Bob would know, after spending his early career trying to be Woody Guthrie before realizing that this Bob Dylan guy was pretty cool, too. If he hadn't developed his own persona, most people under the age of 70 today wouldn't know who he is.

16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'm one of those players that was never good enough to sound like anyone but myself. Which is how I like it. I have very little interest in technique or chops -- but I have plenty of interest in personal expression and how music feels. At the age of 51, having played the guitar since my teens, when I play it just sounds like me. Thank Gawd. It's amazing and wonderful how we are all unique.

howardlo likes this.
  17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah sounding like me .. tho I do have 3 version of me

There is the most common me that is soft touch, primarily an upwards pickslant, bloomy toanz

That is what I consider sounding like me.

There is a knopfler inspired version of me that is chicken picking'y .. can both play pure fingers, but these days is mostly hybrid picking in order to lure out my inner chicken

And finally there is a old school bluesy rock'n'roll me, that plays with a downwards pickslant and basically just wacks the strings as hard as possible.

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One thing I finally realized, is.... I buy a piece of equipment, like an amp or guitar, so that I have something different than my usual fare...... But then I mod it until it's just like my other stuff! DUH! :rolleyes::mad:
    Same with pedals, I try a different OD and by the time I'm done trying them I pick one that's like the tone of the one I have!

20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

when I try to sound like me I end up sounding like you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.