I just end up sounding like me. How about you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:27 PM.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I've been through the shelves and boxes . I've done a pedal stock check to decide what to sell. Too many.

I'll definitely sell some. Maybe.

Most of them were bought used inexpensively "to see what the fuss is about" is probably the simplest way to describe the driver for buying them.

Frankly, now in my mid '50s, I'm at the stage where I tend to make make pretty much everything sound, for the most part, the same... like "me". It's what my old senses expect. I tweak stuff to achieve it; I thin out fat things and I fatten up thin things.... need I go on? It all ends up sounding just like me.

I love trying new stuff. I make experimental excursions with sonic experiments and I enjoy them for what they are at the time. I push them for while to see where they go. But then I go back to what I know works on all levels.

I make my Jazzmaster sound like my Teles. And my Tele sound like my P90s guitars. I want my Strat to sound more like my Tele and my humbucker guitars sound like my P90s..... etc. When I buy a new pedal I'm really hoping somehow for a better or more vivid "me". Isn't that how all products are pitched?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:35 PM
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think eventually we all get there...and that is a good thing. I could give Knopfler a banjo and he would probably still sound like Mark Knopfler playing a banjo. Every artist, be it music or with a brush starts out trying to emulate the masters. Eventually, they gather parts of many to incorporate what they like into their own style. Then you work on perfecting your own sound, brush stroke, etc.

We are about the same age and I have been trying to write and record more instead of trying to play covers of other songs. It is a lot easier playing like yourself than trying to sound like someone that you aren't.

3. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

No matter what I do, I sound like me....dang it!! Actually, I am pretty satisfied with my playing and sound or tone or whatever. For as long as I have been playing I should be better but everyone thinks that I suppose. My next phase is to play using as minimal gear as possible: Tele into Tweed. Yeah its my handle. I have been thinking about it for a long time but now I am going to focus on it and see how it changes me as a player. Now, tweed Deluxe or Harvard clone as a foil to my new Broadcaster? Hmmmm.... My Champ is likely good enough but...

rze99 likes this.
  4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Yup just me.

5. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yep I embrace it and have learned I have no use 90% of pedals- boss od1 and a tweed sounding pedal and I am good to go-delay, phase, chorus, 10 od pedals, etc etc no use for me. I've also learned that lots of guitar sound different but they usually sound equally good to me and that I just sound like me

naveed211 likes this.
  6. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Yeah, no drill sergeant style cover bands for me anymore. We play covers but have fun with them and make them "ours" and the audience seems to dig them. Obviously that won't fly many times but we seem to get away with it. I just turned down a request to be in a cover band because the thought of that just sucks the fun right out of it for me.

Milspec, Digital Larry and rze99 like this.
  7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

+1
    I've got a lot of guitars, and that statement is gold.

But I do like pedals. They might not be a part of your sound or perk any interest for creativity, but when I hear a guitar player that I'm drawn to, it's a sound that was massages by a pedal or two. Texture, depth, time. Aural sex.

8. Finger Ease

Finger Ease TDPRI Member

It's funny but Eric Clapton said that once.

teleNtweed likes this.
  9. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Uh who else you gona sound like. Duh

10. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

No you don't, you sound like that other dude!

Yeah. The new sounds from pedals give me a different perspective for a while but then I realize I am looking at the same thing, just moved a bit. I still find that useful

11. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

i think thats why most of us keep buying things is trying to find that missing piece that transcends us beyond being ourselves and sends us into some kind of nirvana. Unfortunately for us working folk that's not what we have in our bag of tricks.
    we hear others doing copied styles of stevie and sound just like stevie or copy eric but at the same time all they hear is themselves too. we should always want more from ourselves but not make ourselves unhappy in the process. dont be unhappy being yourself bec you cant be anyone else.

Milspec likes this.
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yep - no matter what I play, I sound like me.

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Yes that's me. It took a long time to find this voice, for better or worse its what I sound like

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Well you make a good point. I do lots of covers, and I quit trying to sound like the original artists and do my own interpretations. And it's tough to not mimic the original artist when you've heard it 1,000 times...but ultimately you gotta take ownership of it. For instance, I heard a delightful acoustic version of Bad Co's "Feel Like Makin' Love" by some gal the other day on public radio. I hadn't imagined that as an acoustic song. And I'm primarily an acoustic guitarist.

JL_LI and Milspec like this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I always sound like me.
    I always have.
    Even when I try to sound like other people.

Mostly I try and emulate a guitar player who doesn’t suck.

Bristlehound and mkdaws32 like this.
  16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

17. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Unless I'm goofing my flamenco bullfighter Enrique:p Ole

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Same here. Just like in science, you need a baseline to use as a standard and a series of different specimens to formulate a theory. It's hard to say if I'm searching for a better pedal or just reaffirming what I already have.

rze99 likes this.
  19. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I was talking with Bob Dylan one day and he asked me what type of music I played. I told him a lot of different types and some of his but mostly my own originals. He said, "Man, that is what you should do, your own stuff. You'll never be anyone by trying to be someone else."

Have always thought that was great advise, and not just with music.

Otis Fine, 8barlouie, dlew919 and 4 others like this.
  20. Thanasis

Thanasis TDPRI Member

I sounded like me
    playing an SG.
    Until i bought a tele.
    Now im sounding like an
    ex-SG-playing me
    on a tele.

Unison Bend and JL_LI like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.