I Just Don't Like Multi-Effect Pedals.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by arlum, Oct 18, 2021.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I've owned 3 or 4 of these over the years and never came to like any of them. They can be confusing, limiting, and tend to sound artificial. They always sound like close recreations rather than being able to deliver the same quality of each individual effect. Some that are dedicated to reproducing a specific effect that has multiple types get a bit closer but still come up short. I will say that this type can be a good learning experience on what you prefer, ( The Line 6 DL4 offers good examples of multiple delay types so you can learn the basic differences), and does an adequate job of producing those delays until you can afford a true version.
    When pedals start offering multiple effect types they become complicated, never offer the same amount of control per effect and, at least in my experience, introduce unwelcome back round noise. Noise is one of my biggest issues. Each effect included in the multi effect pedals signal chain seems to increase the back round noise. It's like the signal gets clogged up.

Pcs264, Arfage, Spooky88 and 6 others like this.
  2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Yes .... compromises .... and complexity.

Blackmore Fan and Obsessed like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

I've used the Line 6 M13 for reasons of simplicity. Every effect in it sounds pretty much exactly like the effects they emulate. As well as a global tuner it has a global noise gate. Getting the distortions to work is just a matter of setting mids right with Fender style amps.

The layout means memorising each effect is a doddle. The assignable expression pedal is a big plus. They're string enough and meaty enough for road use.

I just bought a second unit cheap with an easy fixed issue so I can use one for young band one for old farts with different effects.

Ignatius, jsegovia and MilwMark like this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    MilwMark likes this.
  5. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have played with so many others who use the Boss ME-** range of multi-effects over the years, and they have all managed to get some wonderful sounds from their setup, whether into an amp, or ( quite commonly via a D.I ) direct to the front of house.

Investing time to learn how to use them, time to set the board as you like it and time to learn how to navigate it. Boss floor models work very well for many.
    I can't get my thick head around them though. It's a block of mine.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have had great luck with multi-effect pedals, and used them for many years.
    The Boss ME-50, 70, 80 pedals can all be used as if they were individual pedals, with individual controls.
    You can program them, but I never did.
    I thought they sounded great, and were intuitive to use.
    I no longer use them only because my amp has the few simple effects I use.
    Alas, I’m a Luddite geezer, and I don’t know how to program anything.
    I do find most other brands of multi-effects hard to use, and not particularly good sounding.
    The Roland/Boss stuff works best for me.

jsegovia, JL_LI, fjblair and 3 others like this.
  7. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

it gets back to what you want to hear , and if you cant conect to the device then your at a loss. Most high end devices deliver what they say they will but its all learning curve and how you use it , An H9 Max ( my personal favorite) has about 500 sounds in the device , it gives you tons of options but you have to learn to use it rather than flipping 500 presets , line up the sounds you want to use and have them there infront of you when you want to. some multi effects units like the Pod Pro or the ART SGX 2000 have tons of presets almost 200 and 100 user patches , but again you have to learn it .

and if you are a nutter like me , I deep dive into the rabbit here to learn this stuff

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  8. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

There is one benefit to multi effects that has not been mentioned yet. By saving presets, you can change quite a few effects at once without having to do some sort of Irish Jig. It does tend to make gigging easier, at least for me.

9. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Ahem... ;)

[​IMG]

Zoot Zoot, Obsessed and dlew919 like this.
  10. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Afflicted

I’ve only ever owned one..

DAB2BA0E-39AF-48C8-B248-4432072032B5.jpeg
    It was a fun tool when I was first learning to play. Just realised I haven’t used it for about 17 years! I’m gonna have to dig it out and give it a go.

I’ve only ever routinely used a delay, OD and a vibe pedal since.

Dik Ellis likes this.
  11. tubedude

tubedude Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Don't make me drag out my Digitech RP9 out of the closet!

gabeNC and Frodebro like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I got into them because I took up bass, and I had a power amp and a bass cab so I figured it would be a cheap way to get some different amp flavors to experiment with, plus a tuner and compressor. I borrowed a Pod 2.0 for awhile and then bought a used Zoom B2 when I had to give the Pod back.

Turns out I don’t use any effects other than compression with bass, and stay on one custom patch I tweaked, but it does just what I need and sounds good to me.

I have since discovered it has some useful guitar and lap steel sounds in it, and its spring reverb and tremolo sound good to me too, with just enough control. It was, and remains, a cheap way to cover a lot of ground for me. I’m happily surprised that the dirtier sounds I’ve set up in it clean up pretty well with the volume knob on the guitar.

But someone who uses more effects might find it lacking.

13. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I just use a Tube Screamer for crunch and a Marshall DriveMaster for leads.

In two songs I use a tremolo

No, I don't need any multinothing

zeke54, middy, stomped box and 3 others like this.
  14. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Are single-effect pedals with DSP in them okay, or does talent become unneeded with those, too?

15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Here is an analog multi effects pedal that might work if you want something compact.
    All of the controls are accessible.
    The Tech 21 RK5 Richie Kotzen pedal.

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/flyrig/rk5/

arlum and telemnemonics like this.
  16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

The trick with them is to read the manual. Read it before you fiddle with it. Learn how the presets work. What the chain look like. Read it. When you understand it start to go through it.
    I prefer individual pedals because I can have one stop working and workaround it. If the multi effect stops … having said that I’ve never had one stop on me.

StrangerNY likes this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

My pro-multi-effects sister thread to this one is admittedly more or less a thinly-veiled Boss ME-50 praise thread.

I don’t like the majority of multi-effects for the same reasons you don’t. But there are some out there (ME-50, Fly Rig, I believe T-Rex makes a good one, too, some others) that you can setup like regular pedals and aren’t complicated.

And to my ear they sound good.

StrangerNY and stormsedge like this.
  18. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

I've only experienced Line 6 and Zoom mfx boards and, for me, I think they try too hard to emulate the various pedal models on-board.
    By that I mean that they all seem super-charged and almost impossible to get any nuanced settings from them.
    Saying that I tend to use mine through headphones for 'silent' practice at home, so even the cab sims will not be the same as using a true Vox 2x12 or Fender Bassman cabinet etc.

But, for home/silent practice or seeing if I might like to try a particular type or possibly even brand of pedal... they're OK.

I can see that the higher end Boss mfx themselves might be as differrent again. ie. I did see Gaz Coombes (ex-Supergrass) using a Boss mfx of some description to great effect :)lol:) before the hiatus.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
    My Boss GT100 is a great piece of kit.

If you can identify pedal vs multifx through an amp running at any reasonable volume or with a band, you must have way way better ears than me.

20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've also had less than satisfactory results with multi-effects units, primarily lower cost units that had amp/cab emulation in them. The overall tones from them have often been less than satisfactory, although some individual effects were good. The on unit user interfaces were often difficult to navigate and the software interfaces were also wonky. Effect placement and setting choices were often limited.

I am, however, somewhat interested in the newest generation of these devices that seem to offer better interfaces, IR loading and a lot more flexibility in effect positioning. This would be various units from Hotone, Nux and others. One of these might be a good choice if I have to start doing regular business travel again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.