1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just don't get the Tele...please help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johntodd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Yeah, that was one of the demos I saw. I chucked it up to a bad recording. Camera mic doesnt do anything justice.

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Camera mics are awful. This fella obviously has recording and editing skills since he overdubbed his voice... why wouldn't he do a proper recording?

3. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Most cameras won't allow a line level in, so no mixer. IOW, no separate mics for the voice and the amp.

Gotta step up to "sorta" pro-grade to get stuff like that.

IOW, the camera mic is picking up a lot of the room reverb, and isn't close-micing the speaker like a studio would do it. Crappy mic + bad placement = pooptastic recording.

4. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

oh i thought it would be easy to record a video and then via computer dub over the video audio with the recording track and his comments. but i have never messed with video before, i dont know how things really work lol

anyways, glad the tele is starting to grow on you. you could probably get a lot more out of xaviere by switching the pickups. that's usually the most significant detractor from cheaper guitars.

5. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

There are a gillion ways he could have done it. He could have close miced the amp (we'd see a speaker grill) to record the tunes, then reset the camera to record his interview. Cut that in in an editor on the computer, and boom!

6. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

This AM I picked up my parts tele with the Lawarence rails, cranked the gain to the max on my little practice amp, and had me some of this, big fun:

Then I twiddled some knobs and jammed along with some Asleep at the Wheel.
    You gonna like those pickups I think, so versatile. Just make sure you get some quality 250K pots in there.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh man, where do I buy that tee shirt? :D

8. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Maybe a "Standard Telecaster", but I'd wager if he tried out a Tele Custom (or even more extreme my personal fav. the Tele Deluxe) you can still get chime that no LP will give you from the WRHB, AND have the SC in the bridge to get another set of tones. I dont the "Tele" that's the problem, it's that he went and COMPLETELY changed his style of instrument (and ossibly picked the wrong specific instrument for his style and other parts of his rig) and is now trying to make it work the same way as an LP. There are Telecasters that will walk that fine line between a traditional Tele and a Lester... maybe try one of them.

Cheers

Dave

9. teleforumnoob

Some fantastic playing on that Clint Strong vid. I just now got around to clicking on it.
    Here it is in case anyone else missed it

I'll get the hang of this...........

10. teleforumnoob

Some fantastic playing on that Clint Strong vid. I just now got around to clicking on it.
    Here it is in case anyone else missed it

11. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

Love my Les Paul. Love both my Teles. If you want fatter sound, get some Custom Shop Texas Specials. Use a .047 or a .033 capacitor. Stay with 250k pots. You may even opt for a single pup esquire mod that would give you a no load tone, a variable tone, and a fixed tone that is a little thicker(done with a .001 cap). The bridge pup is the heart of a Tele, especially when playing country.

12. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Before you spend a lot of money modifying your guitar, or run out and buy new effects, here's what I'd suggest: Go to a decent-size guitar shop where there's a good selection of Telecasters of various types, and try a bunch. Notice the differences between them. When you find one that has a sound close to what you are looking for, jot down the model name and serial number, and then find out what the specs are for that model and year. That might give you some idea of what mods you should be considering.

Also, I'm going to repeat myself and strongly suggest that when you change pickups, you also check the values on your pots, and if they are 500K, change them out for some 250K pots. This makes a HUGE difference in my experience. You can put the best pickups in the world in there, but don't forget, they still depend on the rest of the signal path to get the sound from the strings to the amp.

13. FenderPig

FenderPig TDPRI Member

You gotta love the Twang! I would think comming from LesPaul would be a hard tranisition fo any guitar... Country does not have to be played on a tele..Its what you feel best with.

14. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I didn't get the tele either until I built one myself. I still don't like a lot of fender teles. Now that I've gotten acclimated, my humbucker guitars sound muddy for the first few minutes when I switch from the tele. If it's too bright- remember there is a tone knob.

15. Leo1951

Leo1951 Tele-Meister

Why not do the Jimmy Page modification to a Les Paul, so you get the Tele sound and the Humbucker sound too. I can't see spending a lot of money on a cheap Tele copy.

16. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

lots of good input here. but this is about all is needed:

1) get a real Tele, run it thru a good amp, dial in the balls to complement the twang, then learn to work the vol & tone knobs and selector switch to vary from rhythm to lead. Add a pedal if wanted/needed but if you dial in the guitar and amp you won't really need a pedal to cut thru any live mix and achieve the classic sound that is present throughout all of rock & roll and country music.
    2) see #1

In my world, a Timmy pedal is all I add to my Tele, and then only when I need the extra crunch. And I run it thru a good tube amp...particularly a Z.

That covers everything.

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Ime just because a guitar feels good and is well setup, doesn't necessarily sound good through the amp.

One that vibrates well acoustically will generally sound good because it is all about vibrations. It may be that the OP's Xavier XV820 may be a bad guitar, that does not mean that the next Xavier XV820 off the rack will be.

Putting the best pickups in the world into a poor guitar will not solve the problem.

It is quite important to test any guitar out through your amp, or at least an amp model that you know. Also be aware that an amp will not sound the same in a shop as it will back home or on stage.

I think the solution here is to change the guitar for another "tele", because a tele is not a "thin and wimpy" guitar. Whilst running the bridge pickup on full treble will cut your head off and shatter every piece of glassware in the bar, rolling the treble off results in a thicker sound. The pickups in a tele are more powerful than those in a strat, the bridge pickup is far bigger and the neck pickup is closer to the strings to balance that, but they are not as high output as humbuckers.

It probably has been suggested already - raise the pickups for a fatter sound.

18. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

My X has a good loud and resonant sound unplugged. I am impressed with that aspect of it.

I'm going to try the Wilde pups and amp settings. I rolled the tone pot down yesterday and discoverered a whole new world.

19. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Johntodd

I feel your pain.
    Been a T player for decades.

I found the best Tele Tone for my needs was a dual P-90 25" scale PRS.

Notes at the bridge pup could get that piano-like percussive twang.
    Each pup was more of great more!!
    In using fingers with thumbpick the notes were rich, and on the Tele side of the fence.
    (Didnt buy it).

Try a bunch in person!! Go to good stores.

BTW: I just bought a used Strat copy with a HB in the rear and a sc HB in the front.
    It is alot of the same as that PRS.
    More of more-- not skinny and too thin, but Telelicious in the rear pup.

20. Jake_Blues

Jake_Blues Tele-Meister

Tele isn't just a guitar, it's a state of mind. I played Gibson's, mostly SG's for most of my not so illustrious career. I really hadn't picked up a guitar for a while and heard Danny Gatton and had to play again. (I know, many people never want to play again after hearing Danny, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.) I have a couple of Teles and a partscaster in the works.

Lots of folks have commented and many of these already, but I'll throw in my $0.02. Amp settings have to change. Teles (whether made by Fender or someone else) don't act like an LP. Same for your pedals. Personally, I like some compression (Dyna-comp Red) for clean tones (ok, sometimes quite a bit.)

Your technique MAY have to adapt. I used to play SG's mostly with a heavy pick. I play teles almost always with fingers. Brighter woods, SC pups and design tend to make them alot more touch sensitive.

I have no experience w/an X, but I'm guessing a better bridge might help. Even my MIM Standard and Thinline sound way better with an upgrade. More mass goes a long way. A decent compensated 3-barrel will do wonders (Barden, Callaham, Rutters, Armadillo...). If you're stuck on 6 Saddles, look for something beefy.

Again, already been said: get out and play a few. Don't judge the whole class of guitars on playing one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.