1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just don't get the Tele...please help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johntodd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

A good quality amp and proper settings is the key that opens up a world for all kind of guitars. I learned this from my dear school mate who was sitting next to me. We were about 15 years old and he was already playing in clubs. During a lesson at school, while I was drawing a Telecaster on a piece of paper he started to giggle and told me just that. At this age and time, little I knew how true he was.

2. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Get in that musical woodshed. I mean it. If you have talent, ears, and energy, and this "tele" is well set up as you say, there's zero excuse for not making quality sounds with it. PU's, amp, etc, don't make much difference. Input from the skilled player does; in fact, that is ALL that counts for anything.

Music is fun, but it is not easy. Not for everyone.

If I sound grouchy or irritated, it's because I am.

Playing guitar duets, for fun & study, with other players that you think are good, is something every player should do, a lot. Switch axes after a few tunes, with the other player. You will notice, that there is almost no difference. Each player sounds almost the same as before, no matter what axe he is playing. That's because the sound comes from the human, not the "gear".

3. dazzypig

dazzypig Tele-Meister

I find my Tele loves to be dug into more than any guitar I've ever owned. You can certainly play them light, but the really reward you if you give it some gas!

4. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

The biggest difference to me is the scale length. If you are used to playing on the short scale Gibson necks, it can take some time to adjust your technique to a full scale Fender, especially if your hands aren't that big. I love Fenders, but, having fairly short fingers, I must admit that Gibsons are much more laid back to play.

5. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

I found the opposite, my 335 has a longer scale

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

It doesn't if it's a regular Tele and if it's a regular 335.

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm real interested to know how you measure the scale length of a guitar. :confused:

8. dazzypig

dazzypig Tele-Meister

Not a standard one then?

9. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

WHERE ARE YOU??
    WE'LL SEND SOMEONE!!

Try picking a little closer to the neck. Tele's are sensitive that way.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Gatton sounded incredibly shrill to me, when he used those rail pickups. But thats just me.

One thing you could try, is get a fat overwound tele single coil pickup, instead of a rail humbucker. Its probably not the best for ultra-clean chicken pickin, but it does a fine job of cutting thru. Hell I've got one in a STRAT, not even a tele, and it sounds great. Clean, tons of mids... if you cant hear yourself when you're playing that, its either your amp, or you're deaf.

This one cost me about 40 bucks. Worth every cent

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_75.html

11. xagyg

xagyg Tele-Holic

"must now learn the Tele" is code for "I need another guitar" ... LOL ... you got GAS just like the rest of us! :lol:

12. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

With all due respect, you look nothing like Carrie Underwood

;-)

13. dazzypig

dazzypig Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say you were wrong

14. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

:D

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

this reminds me of a rant a drummer made about my SG, complaining that it had a "longer scale" than his Les Paul, making it "harder to play".

I tried explaining how they are pretty much the same scale, but the SGs body design makes it feel like the neck is longer.

He just continued to rant and claimed he had measured them.

What can I say... he's a drummer. Many drummer think they are guitar players.

16. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

Tele world

Every tele share the tele character, but every tele is different, it's a matter of improvement on the guitar, match with an amp... or just wrong instrument for you. The first telecaster I bought on ebay was a 1972 that sounded incredibly well, but I didn't like the neck so I sold it to somebody I knew, a professional musician. Each time I see this guy, he starts by talking of this guitar I sold him for five minutes. He said once : the bridge pickup is unbelievable, even if you mix it very low, its tone gets through all the frequencies and you always hear it perfectly...

17. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I think the most important thing a long time player of non-Tele type guitars need to learn are the techniques that make a T-type guitar excel. It helps to apply a more staccato attack and stop depending on long sustain as the key to your playing. One of the reasons many Telecaster players are great at chicken picking is because it is one of the things the Telecaster does best. It is learning the idiosyncrasies of the instrument that will make it more enjoyable to play the Telecaster.

18. cowardm

cowardm Tele-Holic

Owned a JCM800 for quite some time. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do country on it. You might have to EQ it one way or another, but it's a great amp.

Just some other tips and tricks:

1. Roll down the volume. I prefer a cranked amp and to roll off the volume to clean it up a bit. In my experience this is the way to get great overdrives and thicker cleans out of a JCM800.

2. Pickup height. I have seen this suggested. The closer the magnets are to the strings the "louder" and maybe even thicker it might sound, until it gets too close because then the magnetic pull will mess with the string's vibrations (this is the case on your LP as well). I back my pickups down a little because I like "woodier" tone.

3. String gauge. I use a hybrid set of 10s (wound strings are basically that of a 12 gauge set, plain like 10s). I've used 11s extensively as well. Standard 9s or 10s felt thin on my Tele.

19. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Indeed. I've been practising, and I'm enjoying it more and more. I didn't care for it at all (stop snickering at my Xaviere!) but after working on it and playing it a lot, I'm getting better.

So it doesn't sustain like a LP. How do country folks do those fluid runs? Compressor? I'd like to know, because I'm more of a legato guy than a "pick every note" guy.

20. GriffinBF

GriffinBF TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.