1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just don't get the Tele...please help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johntodd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

No, it does not come across as abrasive at all and no, it is not splitting hairs. The simple fact is that only Fender can make Teles and playing a $150 copy and making judgments about Telecasters is just silly.

It might be a T-style body (with style being the operative word there) but that is all because the woods are not of the same quality, the pickups are not the same nor are they of the same quality, etc.

Comparing your $2k guitar to a $150 copy is comparing apples to raisins.

Yes it is.

2. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I'm a humbucker guy at heart and
    I have Wylde L45s and L-48TL rails in my parts tele.
    I've never played those expensive ones Gatton uses, but I think of mine as the poor mans version. Bill L is a genius and they are fantastic pickups for a reasonable price. I've never tried the GFS versions but for a little more you can get the real thing bu the guy who invented them.
    They have plenty of Tele character, but are a little smoother sounding. No overwound smooth, but clean hi fi smoothness. Plus when you start stacking gain stages after them, they are infinitely versatle.
    They are absolutely noiseless, they are humbuckers.
    A little different than most pickups, where the dirt can come from the pickup itself. These things are clean machines until you add some gain somewhere else in your chain.
    For around $100 you could get a set for your X.

3. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Rails aren't necessary. Page never had them in his and I don't think anyone would complain about Led Zeppelin I or the solo to Stairway, which were recorded with his Tele, sounding thin. And there are plenty of country pickers out there who sound great without rails.

4. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

There are several Teles that feature HB's, notably the budget oriented Modern Player Telecaster Plus. Check out the reviews on Ultimate guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/revi...nder/modern_player_telecaster_plus/index.html)

The coil tap toggle switch probably will allow you to hit a wider range of tones than you thought, including country, not to mention you'll be able to dial in some metal tones. It's inexpensive and yu should probably play one in a store some to check it out, but it's probably a better alternative than your present Tele-style guitar.

5. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

There are many single-coil size humbuckers (stacked humbuckers) made for Tele. I would recommend those made by DiMarzio if you want a thicker sound.

Another thing you should look at is the height of your pickups. Moving them closer to or farther from the strings will have a big affect on your sound. If it's sounding shrill I'd back the pickups down a few turns of the screws, and see how that sounds. You can also set the bass side higher than the treble side, which is something I do sometimes with the bridge pickup, to tame the icepick a bit.

Finally, open up the control cavity and see what tone and volume pot values you have. If the pots are marked 500K, you might want to swap them out for a set of 250K pots.

6. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

@ Fezz. LMAO! Knobs! Who knew?

@ T.Armstrong. Me likey touch sensitive! I use it for mixing when playing without an FOH engineer.

@ Nub. What is Clint doing at ~2:00 in? That sounds Tele-ish to me. Not shrill or thin, but very nice. Coil tap?

And WTH? Jerry Donahaue's single coils don't buzz in this clip?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcJZTE_Fjg

7. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

This does not sound shrill to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZoNlbiFtw

I think I'm going with some Bill Lawerence Wylde L45s and L-48TL rails and some knob turning.

I can get good sound through Amplitube after extensive tweaking, so some amp/pups combo is the problem live. Thanks to you all for this! More thoughts?

8. polvotone

polvotone Tele-Meister

I wouldn't get it either, from youtube or most of the Telecasters you see in stores.
    People play the same crap on every single Youtube video of Telecasters.

9. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

As alluded to prior, the way you set the controls for a Les Paul and amp is opposite with a tele, that is to be in the traditional country vein.

Rock or modern - amp low, guitar high (this drives the amp and pedals because the gain from the pickup is higher with Les Paul.

Country - amp high, guitar low with a tele. Push the volume up into the sweet spot of the amp. At this point you get some nice sustain but clear tone. Also this will get out of the thin sounding tone.

10. teleforumnoob

Thats the vid that sent me that way.
    But you will still have to turn some knobs.
    Its just that with these, the knobs really do something.
    I could use mine for metal if I wanted to.

But you can't hide behind these pickups, even at high gain.
    They are very transparent and hi fi.
    What you put in will come out, good or bad.
    To get that tone on the vid, your still gonna have to learn to deal with the Tele, both your attack and the controls, your amp, and anything else in your chain.
    I found a compressor is very useful. Just a touch of a plain old DynaComp helps a lot.

11. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

What Fezz said. The knobs are the biggest part of the equation in my book. I went from Les Paul to Strat to Tele. My experience with my Les Paul was like a lot of other guys'. Leave all the knobs maxed unless you wanted some kind of dynamic in the volume where you'd often turn down just the neck volume. The Strat wasn't a whole lot better. The Tele is completely different. Even a Squier Classic Vibe Tele produces MANY different tones from using just the tone knob. Personally, I never max my Tele's tone knob. It goes up to about 80% at most.

12. teleforumnoob

Before you spend a bunch of money on the SX, you might want to try a Gretsch.
    Go to GC and play one of the new G5435 Pro Jets with the Blacktop Filtertrons.

13. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

Go and try out a MIM Classic 50's Tele, then a Classic 60's. Also try out a Classic series 72 custom, with a sc in the bridge and a hb at the neck position.

Links to those 3 models are included below. They will give you the essence of the Tele tone, one that you can try to build your sound around. If you can't make these work, then move on to Gibson LP Jr P90 territory.

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/classic-series-50s-telecaster

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/classic-series-60s-telecaster

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/classic-series-72-telecaster-custom

14. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Does one have to play harder on a Tele than a LP? Jeff Beck said so. He seems knowledgeable. Am I overdoing it though? Jerry Donahue seems to have a light touch and Danny Gatton seems to do both hard and light.

15. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

yep 80%

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

FWIW, Les Pauls are great for country music too...

17. teleforumnoob

I dunno if harder is the right word, but it is different.

Also I would like to proclaim that there is no friggin cardinal rule that a Tele is required for country music. YouTube some old classic TV shows from the 50s and 60s. Most of those guys were playing big old Gibson Hollowbodies.

No reason on earth why you cant use your LP. You just need the right amp.
    Not necc a Twin, (tho a Gibson thru a Twin is a great sound for country)but something with a lot of clean headroom. A bigger Roland Cube will do the trick nicely.

18. dazzypig

dazzypig Tele-Meister

Don't play one then :)

19. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Or just get a Gibson ES series. Plenty of country pickers played them.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I play Teles, LP's, Strats. They all want something a little different from the driver.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.