1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I just don't get the Tele...please help

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Johntodd, Nov 19, 2012.

1. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

4 way switch

2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I see this thread is a few months old, so I am not sure if I replied to it, so excuse me if I have already said this.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I got bit with a Tele bug and decided that I needed to try one. Prior to that, I had played with a Strat and a LP. Knowing little about Teles, I went to a store that I knew had a wide range of models and figured I'd get some good advice. I was partially right. I apporached one of the sales staff and explained my interest. He wasn't a kid, so I figured that he'd have a pretty good understanding of the instrument. I told him that I did not want the cheapest one, nor did I want to spend custom shop prices. He reached for one, that turned out to be the AVRI 52.

I like to play in the neck PU most of the time, and as we all know, that vintage wiring in a 52 sounds like crap. Well when I asked him why it sounded like the amp was stuffed with pillows, he couldn't explain, other than to say "they sound like that". Then he said, "We have a Hot Rod up stairs, you might like that". So off he goes, and brings down what is the AV 52 Hot Rod, basically the AVRI 52, but with a Seymore Duncan mini humbucker in the neck position (ala Richards) and of course, it has the "modern" wiring. We plugged it in and the tone, needless to say, was night and day to the AVRI 52 because the stock AVRI 52, out of the box is not wired in the "modern" way, which when done, totally changes the tone of the neck PU (the AVRI comes with the modern wiring harness upgrade).

I bought it, and it is currently my favorite of the three electrics that I have. It has the weight of an LP, and the beefy neck of a mid 50's LP (like the Traditional that I have), and it has a mini humbucker, giving it that little bit more than a single. That's my answer to how do you bridge a LP player to a Tele: buy a AV 52 Hot Rod.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I think everyone above has given you great advice, but I went through a similar experience (Les Paul to single coil Strat) and you need to learn about the difference, so start out with an absolutely neutral amp settings and no effects and work on you pick up selector and tone knob. Stay away from maximum settings and find the sweet spots of your particular guitar, then slowly play around with the EQ on your amp. Also, what is the action of your strings? Maybe you need to adjust the height of your pups. That makes a huge difference on single coils. Good luck, you'll get there.

4. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been playing Teles a (long) while and have a Les Paul, also. A Tele can get mellow, it can growl and it can twang. It does require a close relationship with your amp, though. Really, the same as your Les Pauls do. You're probably more familair with how to use your Les Pauls. The Tele can do just about everything you want it to, but the amp is a big part of what you can do with a Tele. The standard Tele layout is pretty versatile, but a little tough to get used to, from the amp/guitar point-of-view. Of course, that's just my opinion. Put a hummer in the neck slot of your Tele and it'll have even a little more versatility. But, these are things I've come to learn over the years. I'd say you're right, though - Les Pauls are a little more plug 'n play. No question about it.

5. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

If your used to humbuckers, my guess is your using amplifiers that are thin or mid-rangey sounding to begin with...ie a Marshall or Vox...Fender single-coil guitars sound fatter with amp with a different EQ....ie Fender Blackface or Silverface.... Fender single coil plugged into a Marshall will need a different EQ setting than you use with your humbuckers..AND they will be alot noisier if your used playing high gain amps...

6. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

I have the 'hot' Lil Puncher in my mim Tele and im actually swapping it out for the GFS fatbody single coil. Now dont get me wrong, im a 'metal' guy and my band is really slow, heavy and sludgey stuff (my Teles tuned to A and is run through a Boss HM2 into an 82 JCM800) but that thing is just TOO hot. It is really hard to get it clean at all and by the time youve got the volume low enough its that thin 'anemic' clean like a 100w Marshall only turned to 1. Im getting a new Vox so im hoping the AC15 and the Fatbody pickup will get me closer to that late 70s/early 80s post-punk amp melting kinda gain instead of flat out doom metal. If you want any kind of clarity just steer clear of the 'hot' version. Its hotter then the Duncan Distortion hb in my Strat even.

7. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've been watching this tread closely as I had been looking for a low cost option to use as a mule to test out mods I've been thinking about and to drag along with me when I travel. Ordered an Xaviere XV 620 last week.. Totally blown away at the build quality.. Going to swap out pups and rewire it maybe shim the neck. Right out of the box this guitar played great, just tuned it up and was ready to go.. action was set pretty decent, intonation was perfect.. Fender should setup their guitars as well as this.

8. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

NOW I get the Tele! Thank you, TDPRI!

All was well since my last update; The X was performing and sounding nice!

But I played a club last Thursday and Friday nights, and was treated to EMI/RFI so bad as to make the Tele unplayable, except on clean settings when the full band was playing.

Anywho, I made good on my threats: I got a shielding kit, new pups and push-pulls.

I now have a Tele that has GFS Lil Punchers "Cool Vintage" rails, push pulls for coil tap/series-parallel, and full shielding.

Talk about WOW!

The rails are humbuckers, but they do sound like single coils. Not exactly, but oh so close as to be twangy and full country sounding. No buzz, of course. In single coil mode, they are lower output and even twangier. I do not know that I will ever need the coil tap mode tough, because the bucker mode is so good.

There is one problem, though, and I'd like to get the forums input on this: The neck pup buzzez in single-coil mode. The bridge pup does not. I'm thinking the shielding is not continuous around the neck pup. Also both pups will buzz when I touch the rails with my finger. I know nothing about that; I've never used rails before. Could I be shorting the coils by touching both rails at once? IOW, just don't do that anymore?

I used a mic cable to wire from the control cavity to the output jack, and modified the wiring (all new wiring) to ground only on the back of the tone pot, then tone pot ground to sleeve on the jack. The mic cable shield and "-" are tied to the tone pot (and hence to sleeve, too).

This eliminated ground loops in the cavity, etc.

I also put in a 6-saddle bridge from the Partscaster I made.

Here are the links:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/287561-birth-announcement-my-new-partscaster-finished.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Cool-Vintage-Lil-Puncher-XL-Telecaster_p_145.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Push-Pull-DPDT-Pot-500K-Audio-Genuine-Alpha-Quality_p_647.html

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Copper-Guitar-Cavity-Shielding-Kit_p_176.html

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WD2HH3L11_05/Guitar-Wiring-Diagram-2-Humbuckers3-Way-Lever-Switch1-Volume1-ToneCoil-Tap-Series-Parallel.html

My shielding theory info:
    http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

PS. God Damn it! I'll never use foil again! Paint is the way to go!

PPS. Who am I kidding? I gotta go change the switch out in my Les Paul now. Will add shielding to it, too!

9. Johntodd

Johntodd Tele-Meister

Whew! Still loving it! Got the pup height adjusted and the crowd goes wild!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.