I just completed my 1st ever 40 hour fast and was amazed at the results.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
I think fasting is pretty ridiculous - you don't need to fast to be healthy - as you get older you move away from carbs and sugar - drink very little (if any) alcohol - and the weight will come off - to what you should weigh - and you feel great - Fasting you're just destroying your body.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've been doing the cold showers for several months now. VERY invigorating, and I'm hoping I'm benefiting as promised.....but right now, our ambient daily temperature is so high, that the tap water temp is around 78°, even early in AM. That's not very cold. Hopefully in a month or two it will be colder again.
Same. I've been doing them for a couple of years but, frankly, at this time of year with warmer-than-tepid tap water it's almost pointless... which is why I am on my way to the store to buy a bag of ice for an ice bath. ;)

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Out of curiosity, what condition made you fast for that long? We're you hospitalized? What did you consume?

I was left tied to a stake in the back hard and I ate a tennis shoe.. har!

Had a tumor in the right (ascending) colon, so they took that side out (right hemicolectomy) Things got bad--internal infection--and I was pumped full of antibiotics and had three drains installed. Luckily the docs figured it out and I survived to tell the tale 😁

>>>Edited to correct spelling of hemicolectomy. "Has that got a HEMI?"

Last edited:

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted

Had a tumor in the right (ascending) colon, so they took that side out (right hemocolectomy) Things got bad--internal infection--and I was pumped full of antibiotics and had three drains installed. Luckily the docs figured it out and I survived to tell the tale 😁
At age 28, I had a (benign) tumor blocking the end of my large intestine, which telescoped into the small intestine. Yipes. It hurt. Took about three long weeks to get it figured out before finally having surgery. In the meantime I lived on fruit juice and that Ensure stuff. No solid food. Quite a journey. Lost forty pounds. Total skin and bones.

While unable to eat, I regressed through my entire emotional/food history, craving pasta (I'm Italian), then crap like McDonald's, etc, then finally I became absolutely obsessed with the balogna sandwiches my dad used to make for me and my sister on Saturdays when we were little kids and my mom was at work. After that I no longer had any food cravings. Just peacefully drank my Ensure.

First solid food I had after the surgery was Rice Krispies with canned pears. I've never tasted anything as good!

Edited to add: in reference to the theme of this thread, I never felt clearer headed or more alert mentally than I did during those three weeks I was starving fasting.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted

Had a tumor in the right (ascending) colon, so they took that side out (right hemocolectomy) Things got bad--internal infection--and I was pumped full of antibiotics and had three drains installed. Luckily the docs figured it out and I survived to tell the tale 😁
Glad you are here and hopefully doing well. Been down the medical rabbit hole a few times. Feels good to be alive. Everyday is a good day my friend.👍

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I've been through the wringer medically....then mis-diagnosed for years. Had a health event last Nov. Because of my mis-diagnosis and meds I had hit 280lbs, I was in a great deal of constant pain, not from the weight.

Now I am at 195lbs - headed to 185. I now eat fruits and veggies every day, diet supplements to make sure I get the nutrition I need. Fully vegetarian - for those who know the term -Purines= bad- and no beer at all, and no more than 1.5oz of the best whiskey I can find each night. Physical therapy and home gym workouts (TRX) really make a difference. I walk like a new man. I miss my old life, but this is so worth it.

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Just some random thoughts. I haven't done it for a few years but used to do a seven day fast every spring, and I'm kind of getting the urge and interest in it again.

The first two or three days are the hardest. After that, it becomes really really easy, effortless.

When you're fasting, you're going to feel a lot of energy. People who analyze this stuff will say it's because your body switches to ketones and fats for it's fuel. I don't think the science is ironclad but that surge of energy is real, can be a little euphoric for a couple days.

You're going to be creative and active like you haven't before, even if you're an active creative person.

You're going to look for things to occupy your time. Lying around in front of the tv isn't going to satisfy you.

Drinking high quality black coffee or espresso a couple times a day will feel really really good. It might be connected to those ketones but I dunno. It just has a very positive effect.

All your senses are going to be enhanced. Eyesight, hearing, sense of smell. You'll be surprised and wonder why you can't always be like this.

When you're coming to the end of your fast, you're going to think you want a big meal, like pizza or a big steak and potatoes experience, but that won't feel appetizing at all. Buttered toast and some vegetable broth are going to feel like heaven.

Or not - you might actually find food kind of a put-off and you'll have to force yourself to eat. But eat you must! Make it something easily digestible and nutritious. White rice with soft cooked vegetables is a good idea.

After your fast do not fall into a junk food over-eating binge. It's actually not that easy and requires a lot of discipline in the first week after you finish.

If you feel sick and miserable on the third or fourth day - break your fast. If you have a cold or minor flu or anything like that, don't fast. You'll be asking for trouble.

A good daily routine to get into is to simply cut breakfasting out altogether. Breakfast is not "important" and nothing like "the most important meal of the day". That dogma (which nutritionists love to dogmatically repeat) was created by the cereals companies early on when they were looking for a niche market for their products. They also started the sugar craze as a way to make their stuff palatable.

Have a coffee or tea in the morning, but don't eat anything before noon, or even later. Feels rotten at first but you adjust quickly.

A major psychological component of fasting is about confronting your fears. What prevents people from starting, even when they're very interested in the idea, is fear. But the reality is, there's no danger, nothing to fear at all.

If you suspect you have a medical condition that could make it dangerous, however, don't do it.

Last edited:

teletail

Friend of Leo's
How many peer-reviewed medical studies do organizations have to perform to show that fasting is extremely deleterious to the body? Same with keto (which got changed from Atkins due to marketing reasons.) How is it that people still follow fad diets? Eat a healthy, balanced meal several times each day and you will virtually have no medical problems from your diet except if you have significant genetic predispositions otherwise. Having type II diabetes, I was told keto is probably the worst thing I could do, and most my girlfriend's under 40 patients (she's works in cardiac rehab) have been doing keto.

Eat healthily and exercise, and quit looking for shortcuts.
A boring medical study full of facts just can’t compete with a snazzy YouTube video. The videos usually start with “What doctors DON’T want you to know” as if there are “secrets” that we aren’t being told. Nothing gets attention like a good conspiracy story.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a steaming hot shower this morning..it was wonderful...:)

what good are cold showers supposed to do?.. except save on your hot water power bills..;)

Google Wim Hof Method.
Suppose to do things like improve boosting natural immune system. Lots of videos on Youtube.

It’s supposed to be good for your skin and hair, as it allows you to get clean without overly stripping your body of its natural oils/moisture. Being too dirty/funky is bad, but so is being too dry.

Alternating between hot and cold throughout your shower is supposed to be good for your circulation, since you get your blood rushing too/from here and there in response to different temperatures. This in turn can help with pain, inflammation etc.

Depending by on the climate you live in, it can leave you more comfortable after you get dressed and head out. Yes, like the Seinfeld episode. Certainly true in hot/muggy Florida. I find that a cool/cold shower before bed helps make that more comfortable, as well.

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I had a steaming hot shower this morning..it was wonderful...:)

what good are cold showers supposed to do?.. except save on your hot water power bills..;)
Well, those hot water bills are nothing to sneeze at at the moment.

Cold water is invigorating and feels awesome when you finish. Cold water has been used therapeutically in Germany for a very long time.

This guy had a lot to do with the movement 👇🏼

*Pronounced K-nipe or something like that

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
Yeah I gotta do this.

Apparently you can go 40 days if you want.

I think you should go Vegan now.

Extremely healthy diet, and you can still eat "junk food" if you want.
Ethically and morally it is the right thing to do also.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
It’s supposed to be good for your skin and hair, as it allows you to get clean without overly stripping your body of its natural oils/moisture. Being too dirty/funky is bad, but so is being too dry.

Alternating between hot and cold throughout your shower is supposed to be good for your circulation, since you get your blood rushing too/from here and there in response to different temperatures. This in turn can help with pain, inflammation etc.

Depending by on the climate you live in, it can leave you more comfortable after you get dressed and head out. Yes, like the Seinfeld episode. Certainly true in hot/muggy Florida. I find that a cool/cold shower before bed helps make that more comfortable, as well.
Cold showers increase testosterone and improve your lymphatic system.

robistro

TDPRI Member
The chemicals they put in our food is slowly killing us all.
I try to watch what I eat, but Im not paying out the wazoo for something that suppose to be 'all natural' or 'organic'

hnryclay

Tele-Holic
Fasting makes me feel more energetic, and is also the easiest way to control weight. I do not eat breakfast 5 days a week, and the 2 days I eat breakfast I don't eat lunch or supper. One meal a day is perfect for me to drop 10-15 lbs in a month. 2 meals a day maintains my weight. I am 42 and have had no health issues from this diet. You really don't need to eat 3 meals a day, it is much easier to maintain your weight by dropping food, than it is worrying about carbs etc... I make sure that the majority of my food is fresh preferably home grown, and do not eat a lot of meat. We do raise our own eggs, and preserve our fruits and vegetables to last all winter. I also drink coffee or tea without any sweeteners or milk during a fast. I fast twice a year for multiple days, in October, and April. I don't really know if it works for everyone, and I also don't know if there are actual health effects, I do know it works for my body, and that weight and inflammation are the enemies of good health as you age.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
As a type-II diabetic, fasting is not a good option (hypoglycemia, for example). I only do overnight fasts when I have to have blood drawn for a doctor's visit.

I use Weight Watchers. I eat three meals most days, "normal" food. I was nearly 240 in 2018. I weigh 165 right now and have been at this level for some time.

I tried fasting. Eating is better.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
high quality black coffee
you mean like
1662477699224.png

Cause I'm all over that