I just completed my 1st ever 40 hour fast and was amazed at the results.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
This is only one person, albeit a professional, opinion but they didn't think fasting was a good long term solution for people, especially those who exercise regularly. She recommended you need to cut down on the carbs, your body still needs them but no where near as much as you think and up your green vegetable and nut intake to get more iron and magnesium in your body.

My personal trainer said the same thing. He and I talked about fasting. Two years ago I started with two meals a day at 8 am and 8 pm. Then I did one meal a day for about 5 weeks. After that I tried a 48 hour fast, and the last fast I did was a five day fast. Nothing but green tea and water for five days.

When I went over this with him he shook his head a little and we talked carbs, protein, etc. The stuff you covered. I enjoyed some of the results of fasting, but his professional opinion was that it isn't great for the body.

The other suggestion is to go caffeine free. That was tough but I managed to do it for 3 months. The amount of extra energy I had from that change was amazing.

What's the idea behind no caffeine? I've given it up before for 9 months, but these days I love my morning espresso.

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
Congratulations. I've been doing intermittent fasting for probably close to 2 years. I usually do 2 meals a day, but have enjoyed OMD and the occasional 24 hr fast. I've done one 48 hour fast and am due for another soon. It's really good for celular repair and autophagy. I like the metabolic results too. Obviously not a good weight loss method, but a good way to make weight loss and exercise more effective when not fasting.

TheMicster

Tele-Meister
I have been on the opposite of a fast with eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, gym 3 times a week. I've lost 40 lbs in 6 months.

My meal plan was provided by a nutritionist (promotion at the gym I start at, 1 free month consultation) and I asked the question about fasting effectiveness.

This is only one person, albeit a professional, opinion but they didn't think fasting was a good long term solution for people, especially those who exercise regularly. She recommended you need to cut down on the carbs, your body still needs them but no where near as much as you think and up your green vegetable and nut intake to get more iron and magnesium in your body. The other suggestion is to go caffeine free. That was tough but I managed to do it for 3 months. The amount of extra energy I had from that change was amazing.

These methods have worked for me. I no longer get the mid afternoon crash as I am eating food at the right time of day to keep the brain ticking over.

I did an unintentional fast when traveling for business, didn't eat for 18 hours, felt like crap for most of the time so I think fasting ain't for me.
Understood, I'm not sure how old you are.
Like all these things they are very dependent on peoples different health needs at different times in their lives. I am now 55 years i stopped lifting weights around 6 years ago, i pretty well did it on and off my whole life and now running the farm is enough exercise for me. I did the frequent small meal thing for quite some time throughout my lifetime mainly due to it being beneficial for muscle growth and i would say i ate reasonably clean.
But what i noticed is that in my late 40's my body started to change with aging. What was OK when i was younger wasn't that great when i was older,
- I needed glasses to see fine print
- I developed type 2 diabetes
- last couple of years i got arthritis in some of my joints.
- I notice that my body no longer processes food like it used to due to stomach acid weakening with age.
- i got cataracts
The list goes on, its part of getting old, i absolutely agree with you that carbs are important, but balancing macro nutrients depending on your bodies requirements is also very important, and these needs are very different for different for different people at different stages of their lives.
Anyway I'm not a propagator of Keto as i have never been on a Keto type diet nor any other type of diet and this was probably my first on purpose fast, but some of the benefits outlined in Fasting, particularly the reduction of inflammation were intriguing enough for me to try it, so i did. For me, as i mentioned in my original post the result was amazing so i will definitely be doing it again maybe once a month or so.
Cheers Mic.

Euphonica

Tele-Meister
All fad diets are bogus, I totally agree. It's better to change your lifestyle and be patient than to try a fad diet to have quicker results. Fad diets, all of them, have been proven to fail because they aren't sustainable. Just accept the changes you need to make, and they will stick.

How many peer-reviewed medical studies do organizations have to perform to show that fasting is extremely deleterious to the body? Same with keto (which got changed from Atkins due to marketing reasons.) How is it that people still follow fad diets? Eat a healthy, balanced meal several times each day and you will virtually have no medical problems from your diet except if you have significant genetic predispositions otherwise. Having type II diabetes, I was told keto is probably the worst thing I could do, and most my girlfriend's under 40 patients (she's works in cardiac rehab) have been doing keto.

Eat healthily and exercise, and quit looking for shortcuts.
I'd love to see a few of those studies! I am interested, not trying to argue. What I have read is that temporary fasting (14 hours per day) is extremely healthy because it causes the body to use older cells, because there are no fresh cells because of the temporary lack of nutrients. The end result is your body having fewer aged cells and a higher ratio of fresh cells. I have also heard firsthand that the "water diet" (which is what the OP did, where instead of eating one just drinks water) can be profoundly healing. I have not read or heard about bad things happening from this, which is why I'm interested.

In my opinion, many personal trainers are trained to disagree with this stuff, they are invested in being the main source of their client's information. Of course they're going to disagree with something that doesn't involve their knowledge. But that's just my opinion, based on the few experiences I've had.

There is also so much debate over what is healthy (an understatement, I know). What is a balanced meal? What are three balanced meals? Should they be identical?

I feel great when I wait until 2p - 4p to have my first meal of the day. Then I have a huge dinner and usually some chocolate. This works great! For background - 0I don't eat animals, gluten, soy, corn, and a handful of other stuff. The ridiculous bloodwork I get each year shows I am in great heath. I just turned 50.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
What's the idea behind no caffeine? I've given it up before for 9 months, but these days I love my morning espresso.
From the googling I've done on it, my understanding is that you build a tolerance to caffeine, to the point where instead of perking you up above your normal baseline, you dip below that level and the caffeine brings you back up, so you don't really feel more energetic. It just feels that way because you were feeling so tired before the caffeine.

That matches somewhat with my personal experience, although it took at least two months of no caffeine, after about 9-10 years of daily morning coffee, to feel normal again. So it was hard to compare the before and after, since in addition to the inherent subjectiveness of the comparison, there was a big gap. I do feel pretty normal in the mornings now, and it's been 4 years.

What prompted me to quit was that I'd spoken with a relative who had said he would wake up in the middle of the night, until he gave up caffeine. I had very similar symptoms: stone cold awake from about 3-5 AM, followed by fairly deep, restful sleep, which really sucked since I got up at 545. I also did not dream, or at least remember my dreams, for nearly the entire 9-10 year period that I drank coffee regularly. Embarrassing that it took me so long to put it together, but I eventually got there. And I was careful to never drink it past 10 AM, which is 12 hours before my bedtime.

I drink non-caffeinated substances now because I like the ritual and in the winter I like the warmth. I do miss the taste. I don't trust decaf to be fully decaffed, so I skip it.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
I drink non-caffeinated substances now because I like the ritual and in the winter I like the warmth. I do miss the taste. I don't trust decaf to be fully decaffed, so I skip it.

Thanks for the thorough answer! I feel I've noticed that in myself. I don't know that caffeine has the same energetic effect on me that it used to.

Regarding the bit above, I totally agree. I sometimes have to work until 11pm then be back at work for 7am. I've had a decaf later in my shift and I can 100% tell there's caffeine in it. And I know no one is selling it as 100% caffeine free, I'm just saying, it's affected me more than I thought it would.

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
Fasting because you want to--that's one thing.

Fasting for medical reasons is a real bee-yatch. I went almost three weeks without eating anything. I'm 6'4"; my weight went from 230 down to 145. When I was finally able to get up and move and got a look at myself in a mirror, I about busted out cryin'.
Out of curiosity, what condition made you fast for that long? We're you hospitalized? What did you consume?

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
At a certain point you stop feeling hungry. There’s science behind it too - if I remember right there’s an increase in the level of a certain hormone that happens after so many hours.
Yes, gruellen (sp) is the hormone that tells you you are hungry. It is depleted and you are fine. Also, your body begins feeding off of ketones so even when you fast you are still eating.

FuncleManson

Tele-Meister
Whatever works for ya, but no way I'm not eatin' when I get hungry. I also eat tons of carbs (pasta, rice, bread, pizza crust), weigh 155 soakin' wet and feel pretty good for my age. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
Whatever works for ya, but no way I'm not eatin' when I get hungry. I also eat tons of carbs (pasta, rice, bread, pizza crust), weigh 155 soakin' wet and feel pretty good for my age. As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)
Amen to that. If your food isn't actively trying to kill you, no reason to pick a fight with it.