I just completed my 1st ever 40 hour fast and was amazed at the results.

TheMicster

Tele-Meister
Well after all this recent hype about about Intermittent fasting i thought I'd give it a try. I've done a simple 18 hour fast a couple times where you eat at around 6-7pm and then go to bed, skip breakfast and eat again at lunch time the next day. But to go the 39 hrs was quite a challenge. Last meal was 6pm 3 days ago i then just had water. The next day at work was OK the 1st half of the day but then got a bit tougher to withstand in the late afternoon, but when i came home, oh hell it was tough but i managed to push through by having an early night and made it to the morning. Now amazingly enough it was substantially easier that next morning so i kept going to sort of late morning and ended up doing around 39 hours without food, i probably could have gone to 48 hrs but 1st time!
Anyhow, i ate yesterday brunch and a good evening meal and what became very noticeable yesterday late afternoon and today was an amazing reduction in my lower back and hip arthritis pain. I'm actually still in shock at the results. I've linked some simple videos that explain the process of what happens to your body when you go without food for those who are interested.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Fasting because you want to--that's one thing.

Fasting for medical reasons is a real bee-yatch. I went almost three weeks without eating anything. I'm 6'4"; my weight went from 230 down to 145. When I was finally able to get up and move and got a look at myself in a mirror, I about busted out cryin'.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Well after all this recent hype about about Intermittent fasting i thought I'd give it a try. I've done a simple 18 hour fast a couple times where you eat at around 6-7pm and then go to bed, skip breakfast and eat again at lunch time the next day. But to go the 39 hrs was quite a challenge. Last meal was 6pm 3 days ago i then just had water. The next day at work was OK the 1st half of the day but then got a bit tougher to withstand in the late afternoon, but when i came home, oh hell it was tough but i managed to push through by having an early night and made it to the morning. Now amazingly enough it was substantially easier that next morning so i kept going to sort of late morning and ended up doing around 39 hours without food, i probably could have gone to 48 hrs but 1st time!
Anyhow, i ate yesterday brunch and a good evening meal and what became very noticeable yesterday late afternoon and today was an amazing reduction in my lower back and hip arthritis pain. I'm actually still in shock at the results. I've linked some simple videos that explain the process of what happens to your body when you go without food for those who are interested.

I enjoy fasting. I always feel better before I eat (at the end) which is surprising.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Fasting for a few days lets you realise that you don't have to eat every day...

You develop a power over food.... and not be a slave to it. :)
I am not a slave I can quit those breakfast cookies any time I want to. I just don't want to. I just had a thought, I'll break 'em in half, and eat them more slowly, that's close to fasting.

Wooly Fox

Tele-Meister
I have been on the opposite of a fast with eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks, gym 3 times a week. I've lost 40 lbs in 6 months.

My meal plan was provided by a nutritionist (promotion at the gym I start at, 1 free month consultation) and I asked the question about fasting effectiveness.

This is only one person, albeit a professional, opinion but they didn't think fasting was a good long term solution for people, especially those who exercise regularly. She recommended you need to cut down on the carbs, your body still needs them but no where near as much as you think and up your green vegetable and nut intake to get more iron and magnesium in your body. The other suggestion is to go caffeine free. That was tough but I managed to do it for 3 months. The amount of extra energy I had from that change was amazing.

These methods have worked for me. I no longer get the mid afternoon crash as I am eating food at the right time of day to keep the brain ticking over.

I did an unintentional fast when traveling for business, didn't eat for 18 hours, felt like crap for most of the time so I think fasting ain't for me.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
How many peer-reviewed medical studies do organizations have to perform to show that fasting is extremely deleterious to the body? Same with keto (which got changed from Atkins due to marketing reasons.) How is it that people still follow fad diets? Eat a healthy, balanced meal several times each day and you will virtually have no medical problems from your diet except if you have significant genetic predispositions otherwise. Having type II diabetes, I was told keto is probably the worst thing I could do, and most my girlfriend's under 40 patients (she's works in cardiac rehab) have been doing keto.

Eat healthily and exercise, and quit looking for shortcuts.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think I've found the perfect breakfast. After my coffee and cookie, I eat a scrambled egg, one sausage link cut up and mixed into the egg, folded into a tortilla with plenty of salsa. When I'm finished with that, I eat a bowl of Cheerios, then top it off with an apple.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Very tempted to try this.

Working on "cold" showers at the moment. Thanks for posting!
I've been doing the cold showers for several months now. VERY invigorating, and I'm hoping I'm benefiting as promised.....but right now, our ambient daily temperature is so high, that the tap water temp is around 78°, even early in AM. That's not very cold. Hopefully in a month or two it will be colder again.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've been doing the cold showers for several months now. VERY invigorating, and I'm hoping I'm benefiting as promised.....but right now, our ambient daily temperature is so high, that the tap water temp is around 78°, even early in AM. That's not very cold. Hopefully in a month or two it will be colder again.
I used to take cold showers for something a long, long, long time ago. I forgot what.