I Just Bought an SG. How Bad is the Neck Dive?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SonicDiveBomb, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

The few I tried dived on me. Strangely enough, same guitar same strap stayed put for others. So it may also be a physique thing?

2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I can't offer an educated opinion as to whether a 2.5" width strap is sufficient to cure your anticipated problem. But I can say that it's a handsome strap from a reputable manufacturer at a good price. Never owned an SG but I've always thought they look cool as beans. Congrats!

Jakedog likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

No problem with mine, ever.

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've had one or 2 that had the dive....and one or 2 that didn't. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

Back when I played in a wedding band this was an important consideration. Irish wedding gigs often finished well after 1am and that last hour when you are doing the most energetic music could be a nightmare if you were tired....and any discomfort like a neck heavy guitar was magnified. I had a very heavy Gibson once and the weight would center down my back and I'd be ok standing with it, and a number of very light but neck diving guitars (SGs and tele thinlines) where the slight forward pull on my neck became 'heavy' towards the end of the night. The neck dive of the light guitars was more troublesome than the heavy but balanced Les Paul.

But I'll only gig sitting down and during civilized hours now so it no longer is an issue.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Tokai SG copy I had dived like an Acapulco cliff jumper.
    Never played it finally gave it to my niece for Christmas last year - but only after I moved the strap button to the upper horn, which made it more manageable...

Jlwctn likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Exactly my experience too.
    No SG but a little Teisco like guitar I had was neck diving. Sure a large suede strap prevented it to dive, but the unbalanced weight was feeling very uncomfortable on my back and neck.
    I would personally consider attaching the strap to the headstock, rather than relying on the type of strap only.
    But fortunately yours won’t be unbalanced, and I guess you could still send it back if it is.

TG likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have two SGs no neck dive. A neck diver would have been sold

Dismalhead likes this.
  8. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Another serial SG owner here, only problem I ever had was with a '65 junior that someone had put Grover's on, soon as I changed it to the small button type there was no problem.

I have a couple of Levy's 2'' cotton straps that I find really nice, the 2.5'' should certainly do the job.

Dismalhead likes this.
  9. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I’m new to SG’s, just got an Epiphone SG Special with P90s. Love it- don’t know how I went this long without trying one. It has a bit of neck dive but I mostly play seated, so my arm is draped over it which makes it a non-issue. I tried it standing with a smooth strap and there was some dive, but a suede backed strap took care of it - not a wide one either, just 1.5”.

-Ray

10. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

I have the Epiphone modern Sg.
    Does the neck dive ?
    Yeah it does on mine.
    I either pinch the body with my elbow or keep my fretting hand on the neck so it doesn’t point south :)

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

(duplicate post???)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If...it is really different than what you have been used to playing, it may take a minute to adjust to , if you play it every day for fifteen minutes , you'll be right as rain and you wont even notice ,. My friend James really wanted a Gibson Fire Bird, he bought it and he needed to adjust the the fire birds nose dive tendencies
    congratulations on getting your S.G. , have fun with it.

duzie likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Many players say no neck dive if you use a wide grippy strap, which is another way of saying the SG tends to have neck dive.

The two I've owned did indeed not dive with a wider more grippy strap, still have that strap in the basement somewhere.
    I found that the 4" strap chafed at my neck, so I cut a narrower area where my neck impeded the SG balancing function.
    My problem with straps that prevent neck dive on poorly balanced lectrics is that those straps cause bumpched shrit syndrome.

For whatever reason, I tend to shift the angle of my guitar now and then when playing, and something like a 2" strap will slide when I want it to but stay put otherwise, if the guitar balances pretty well.
    I like a one piece strap cut to the correct length with no fiddly buckles, strings, buttons, pictures, skulls, embroidered pot leaves, or $100 tooling jobs.
    All that stuff can be pretty but I don't do pretty!

Clearly if you like the SG you can make it work, but if you're on the fence the heavier ones will balance naturally better, while the really light ones will need more management. Like keeping one of the other arm in contact with the guitar, as well as the bumpched shrit strap.

14. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a 2018 SG Special last year. It is very lightweight and balanced. And plays with such an easy touch. The neck wiggles just right. An absolute pleasure to play, standing or sitting. It feels like a very fine, delicate instrument. Not at all what I was expected when I picked it up in the shop. So much soul and so versatile. I had to buy it.

I prefer the feel of it to teles now.

I also think it's probably a bit of an anomaly. I mean, most SG's don't sit on my leg and balance like a nice tele. But this one does. 24 frets! Unbelievable.

In all the debates about feel and weight and tonewood, etc, etc, etc, I always end up back at "wood is organic and no two pieces are identical". Each instrument is its own thing. My SG is a wonderful marriage of the right body weight/size/density with a lightweight, resonant neck.

(Thank you, Gibson, in the midst of that rough year, for taking the time to put this one together so well!)

15. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've only owned one SG and it didn't dive. I was nervous about getting it as I heard about the neck dive but after testing it out without a problem I went for it. Absolutely wonderful guitar. It almost seems to be an issue based on individuals and not the guitars themselves. Odd. Congratulations on yours!

Dismalhead likes this.
  16. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I played SG's almost exclusively for 15 years or so, never had an issue. The funniest part is theoretically the "headstock dive" only occurs when you let go of the neck. Pretty easy to avoid unless you've gotta take both hands to adjust a mic stand. Even with that I still never had an issue. I can only imagine strap material would play a role too--eg as long as it's not some glossy vinyl thing I spose you'd be alright. I just used the basic cotton levy's ones from GC. I've heard leather straps, particularly with suede on the inside helps with this too.

Dismalhead likes this.
  17. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I have an SG Classic that has no neck dive and is very well balanced. My band mate bought some sort of new fangled SG monstrosity that has extra frets and robotic tuners that has incredible neck dive. For me it's pretty much unplayable...he loves it.

Dismalhead and KW1977 like this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well I just got a brand new Epiphone SG 400 Pro 2 weeks ago

This is one heck of a guitar value- pretty lightweight body and the Epiphone Deluxe tuners which are very lightweight but seems sturdy enough
    I play sitting down so the dive thing is not an issue but it seems like it wouldn't if I were to play standing up.
    Gotta post a pic!
    20200706_081107.jpg

Jlwctn likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

2015 was the year of the robotic tuners. I'd imagine the "system" weighs a bit.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For me it's a big deal, I will not have an SG that doesn't balance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.