I just bought a solid rosewood neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moosie, Aug 5, 2017.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

:mad: you exactly know that ..

well... ghghgh ;)

i would if i had the space for tools, which i really don't have, you know that I've found a "secret" wood shop at work, but I've noticed that the guys are not there that often, and i don't have access to the tools on my own, I'm willing to go on with the 2 things in the link, it will take quite some time tough....

and you exactly know that TORT PG is the best looking ! :lol: yess man i'm messing with ya !! ;)

Cheers.

2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

I must congratulate you on a great job moosie. You've obviously got the skills and knowledge that are required to tackle a project such as this, and your photographic progression was also was quite something to see. You have a nice set-up there, and some quality tools which are a necessity if a job is to be done properly, in the way yours has been done.

I do like the red body as being the best looking, so far, and at least to my eyes. I would however love to see it with an Olympic white body; again with the white laminate pick guard.

I have an Olympic white MJT 'Hendrix' strat that is finished in white and with a white p'guard, and whilst it doesn't have a rosewood neck ( it has a CS maple neck), it is one of the nicest guitars I own, in every way.

I am however puzzled as to why your guitar is sounding so bright.

I am sure you have considered the usual possibilities such as strings ...... i.e. composition of strings and thickness of strings etc..... and has it sounded just as bright with a different body, or with a different pickup, and in particular one you know has a darker tone? Perhaps a change of caps may help........

Too bad, as you sound just a little disappointed.

Hey moosie, You have done a heck of a good job so far. I just know that you will figure this all out eventually, and you will be very happy, I'm more than sure of that. Keep us informed. We are with you on this one.

moosie likes this.
  3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

What pickups you got in there though? I missed that.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks for the kind words. Just plugging away here, sometimes things come together... sometimes not so much... :)

Stock AV64.

I sense some confusion with a few of these responses, that perhaps this is a partscaster with a whole raft of components that are all newly working together. It's not. It's a stock AV64, my #1 Tele since 2014. Untouched, except I'm sure I've added a treble bleed when I first got it. And now I've swapped necks with this rosewood beast.

The neck has all the same features of my stock neck: Klusons, bone nut, butterfly string tree, nickel-silver 6105-ish fret wire, 21 frets, heel adjust truss rod.

The ONLY differences are that rosewood replaced the maple, and there's more of it (big U profile). Also, a 12" radius. And no decal :)

I've set up the guitar to my usual spec, with new strings of course, but these are the same D'Addario 10-46 I routinely use, and I change them frequently enough that I'm quite familiar with how fresh strings sound.

I'm intimately familiar with how this guitar normally sounds. There's no puzzle here. Surprising, that's all. The rosewood is crazy bright.

Still, rolling back the tone knob helps pretty nicely. But this is from a guy who often prefers no-load tone pots, or even blower switches to eliminate both pots, for a brighter sound. I like bright. This is quite a bit brighter than any Telecaster I've played.

EDIT: I'm playing through the same rig, same amp settings (untouched), in the same room in my home.

5. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

One other difference is that the switch from a 7.25" radius (isn't that the stock AV64?) to a 12" radius will alter the effective pickup pole height profile across the strings for the same action. While this may be a small effect, it is non-zero - maybe that's contributing?

6. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

60's tele pickups are very bright IMO, especially with brighter sounding saddle materials.

7. moosie

Yes, I mentioned that :)

"The ONLY differences are that rosewood replaced the maple, and there's more of it (big U profile). Also, a 12" radius. And no decal."

Not contributing. I can set up my action any way I wish, and have done, on various Teles, and higher, lower, it doesn't change the TONE. Just the clarity (no buzzing).

8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Hi moosie - I did know that you mentioned radius change, and I know you're very experienced. I just thought this pole stagger effect may have escaped your notice. So if you can independently adjust individual pole heights, then I agree -- but if you can't (as with most stock Fenders), adjusting action at the saddle for each string to be the same will result in the height variation above the poles being different for the two different radius necks. For the 12" radius, the d and g would be relatively accentuated in response, with the high e and low e relatively de-accentuated, for example (using the a and b as reference).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. moosie

I hear you. I appreciate the idea. I had not thought of it. Thing is, that's a fairly subtle sound difference, to me. I've never once considered the stagger when swapping pickups on my F-style guitars, with radii ranging from vintage through compound modern. I set the overall pickup height, do my usual setup, and all is well in my little world. Maybe my string balance sucks at times, I don't hear it.

10. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Well, I have a bottle of Stew Mac Restoration Rosewood Oil, and its nothing more then mineral oil with some brown stain in it. Mine is about 8 oz. and is a lifetime supply.

If I ever need to buy oil again I'll go to a discount pharmacy and buy a bottle of house brand baby oil.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Got to say that neck looks beautiful and the pic with surf green looks absolutely on the money to me.

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

How WOULD I go about affixing a maker's label/mark on the rosewood headstock?

I'm thinking a label is a non-starter. How about something I could write on it with? Something where the writing wouldn't melt away?

I'm planning three long term projects, all three of which will become family hand-me-downs. Currently my fourteen year old nephew is the only other guitarist in the family. So someday when I croak he might magically get three homemade/assembled instruments from his hippie uncle.

I'd want them to all have a semi-recognizable 'WRoy' on the headstock. But one will be maple, one rosewood, and one graphite. I don't picture one thing that will work on all three. The maple is easy. I can use a Sharpie. The other two? Not so much.

13. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That neck's pretty, Moosie, and I'll bet it feels great. Maybe that alder body would look good with just an oil finish over its wood grain, and a bakelite or tortoise pickguard.

My rosewood neck is on a homemade myrtlewood tele body, with only a bridge pickup, a "Hayride" from Don Mare. I put two very thin coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish on the neck, and probably 10 coats on the body. That guitar goes by the name of "Lester", named after my grandpa. I don't know how to describe sounds, but I play Lester at high volume when I'm alone and feelin' ornery, and I'd happily take it on stage "when I paint my masterpiece!"

Attached Files:

moosie likes this.
  14. moosie

The neck is a perfect U. Huge and comfortable.

That body in the pics turned out to be African Mahogany, as others suggested. StewMac sent the wrong thing. I wanted to keep it, but I had no plans for a 'hog body at this point, and I have a feeling I can get one nearly as good from them any time (all one piece blanks). So, I have the 3-piece alder blank here now, acclimating while I get around tuit. So far I've made a hardboard template from the T Downs drawing, which I plan to use to make a full router template. Not in a big hurry. Don't want to mess it up, either.

20170924_121703.jpg 20170924_121733.jpg

15. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome looking build. I really like solid rosewood necks, if they're unfinished. I have the Hot Rot Red Strat and the Daphne Blue Strat that Fender did for GC, and I love them. They feel great, they look great, and they sound great. I don't notice a jarring difference in the amplified tone from my other varied Strats, but that doesn't bother me. It does seem that the low end is more defined than other guitars, but there's so many variables in play, it's hard to say.

Yesterday I picked up one of the Daphne Green Telecasters with the solid rosewood neck from GC, and it's being set up right now. Fender did a run the first year, but they had the six-piece bridge and the rib cut, neither of which appeals to me in a Telecaster. This year's version has the compensated 3-way bridge and no rib cut, for the Telecaster feel I prefer. It also has what they call a "Deep C" neck instead of the modern C that they put on pretty much all non-CS guitars. I'm excited.

moosie and P Thought like this.
  16. frankencat

frankencat Tele-Meister

A hog body may be just the thing for that rosewood neck.

17. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Hey @moosie, thanks for posting details on this adventure. I’d been waffling on a Strat neck purchase, and this gave me the push I needed. Neck received, and I’d say it’s as nice as the Allparts necks I’ve used prior. I still need to ‘tune’ it - bullet nose the fret ends, roll the edges, work some finish magics - but it’s looking pretty solid out of the box.

moosie likes this.
  18. moosie

Anyone still here? I finally finished the body to go with this neck. Only took me a year. It's my first attempt at a scratch build (body), and it's playable, so I'm thrilled.

This is *exactly* what I pictured when I realized I was going to have to build a body for the new neck. Three piece alder body, Sonic Blue nitro (StewMac rattle cans), Seth Lover neck pickup, AV58 bridge pickup, Rutters saddles (I had laying around). Wiring is three-way with a coil tap mini toggle. Tone pot is 250k no-load, and volume is 500k. But in the positions where the coil is split, I run a 470k resistor to ground, to mimic a 250k volume pot.

Look at the size of that neck, willya. 1.00", all the way up.

The tweed cab it's sitting on is another summer project. Now that the weather's cooling, it'll soon be time to start building a 5E5-A Pro to shove in there.

20181101_221325.jpg 20181101_221235.jpg 20181101_220930.jpg 20181101_221348.jpg

src9000, SoulstormTX, BigD and 9 others like this.
  19. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That came out great!!!!

moosie likes this.
  20. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

@moosie

you did something really beautiful, crongrats! And I bet that it is more thank just playable, that thing is awesome!

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.