1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I joined a band, took over, then fired everybody

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Big_Bend, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

"Ding-dong, MTV calling..."

2. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Maybe a very important skill would be the ability to make a clear assessment if the band you decide to join is serious business. Reminds me of the time I decided to go stock car racing. I took my moms minivan and got blown out the first lap. Man did I b*tch at her when I got home.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Hehe.. thanks.. glad to help!

The story is all true unfortunately. Some more details.

Last January this was a brand new band just starting out. They had only had a few practices, not a gig in sight. Back then I had no desire to start a band or even join one.. I was just doing my drummer friend a favor to come over and check them out. It was the lead singer who loved my playing ("ooh, he has a telecaster nice!!") and wanted me to join.

His friend the lead guitar player was a 50 year old loser.. no job, no car, an amp that didn't work, a crappy guitar. And he couldn't play worth a darn. It was lucky for him that I brought two amps to that first get-together (since I like to run a stereo rig) so I let him borrow one of my amps. But I could tell No Way No How am I going into a business with this guy. I truly felt sorry for the guy but I said look its either him or me.. the lead singer happily chose me. 99.99% of the guys here I promise would not want to be in a band with this guitar player.. he just wasn't qualified, sad to say.

Things just kind of evolved from there. At first it looked promising, and I was happy to be in a band situation again (albeit one just starting out) for the first time in 20 years.. so I just went along with the flow. But all along I was determined to only be in a situation where we would become professional, a tight cover band that would make decent $$ playing gigs. Is that so wrong? I have enough garage playing friends already. If I had known how it would have all turned out, yes I would have walked away a lot sooner.

I couldn't help it if then the acoustic rhythm player kept missing practices and never studied at home. Also he was half deaf and never could keep time. Everybody was unhappy with him.. and they were all VERY glad when I found out my cousin could play and wanted to join us.

The lead singer, who played no instrument, was a huge P.I.T.A., as many lead singers are I'm afraid. Everybody was soon getting sick of his prima-dona act, he had poor management skills, was difficult to work with.. so the others looked to me for leadership to handle the situation. Even the bass player was telling me "hey its your band now, do something". I never set out to take over, it just happened.. and if we were ever going to make it to the next step, we had to make a change. The first practice we had with my cousin doing all the singing went so much better than all the others before. Sad but true.. what could I do? A change had to be made, the band was much better as a result.

So then we kept on trying to get this thing off the ground. I always knew my drummer friend had a drinking problem, but I had hoped he would keep it under control for the band. At first he did.. but it kept getting worse and worse. I tried talking to him many times. I said he needed help. I had HUNDREDS of conversations with the other band members about what to do... it was very said but in the end I let it go on way too long. I'm hoping that by firing him he'll wake up and go to AA and get the help he needs. Alas I don't think this is going to happen.

The old bass player is the one who I feel sorry for the most. Like I said, nice guy, easy to work with.. just not very talented, and he had bad gear so he was always using my son's rig. When my son became available to join us, it was an unfortunate but easy decision to upgrade. Back in December we were playing at an open mic with the old bass player and the guy hosting the show told me "lose the bass player". He just wasn't very good.. But it sucks to have to fire nice people, but again the business comes first. If he was a better bass player my son would have never been given the opportunity.

If I had known how it would have all turned out, yes, I would have never joined, I would have just started my own band in the first place. But it was a gradual evolution, one decision at a time that had to be made for the greater good. Looking back I wish I had never joined their initial setup, there ended up being way too much drama, way too much wasted time, too many hurt feelings. I'm not happy with how it all ended.

But it did get me back into being in a band and now I'm looking forward to 2011 and am hoping the drama is over and things will be much more successful this year. If it came across that I am an arrogant ego bastard, sorry, but I truly don't think that is the case here.

take care.. Allen

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

"I joined a band, took over, then fired everybody."

Dunno how anyone would get such an idea.

5. Big_Bend

Cliff note attention grabbing title. Kinda sums it up don't ya think?

6. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

:lol: Where's that dang popcorn thing....you can't buy this kind of entertainment....it's like some kinda weird reality show.

7. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

You sure showed them who's wearing the pants in this band.

Attached Files:

8. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

I think this is the key takeaway. Make sure you're into it when you join a band, otherwise stay away. If there's a ton of problems that need to be fixed, stay away. It's much easier to not start than to have things go down the way they did.

Lesson learned.

9. dbenson32

dbenson32 Banned

I'm not sure which thread is better...this one or the one earlier today about the old man snatching up that paisley tele from the guitar teacher?! Hmmm neither! I'd have to say that Lady Gaga/John Mayer hybrid thread started by that vintique fellow takes the cake!

Honestly though, why would you join a band in the first place knowing during your first rehersal that the other guitarist didn't have his sh*t together, the singer was a PITA, your drummer had a drinking problem and your bassist couldn't count to 4!?!?!?

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I'm missing the gradual here? Of the five original members you state four had very evident problems/limitations right at the outset.

I'm missing the very professional here? What did you see at this jam session audition that made think this would be a tight gigging professional group?

I don't see anything wrong with band members coming/going, I've fired and been fired (but not from my own group, for the love of humanity). I just can't fathom why a professional level player would need to spend a year sifting through players that don't have gear, transportation, ability, etc... to get a group together. Especially a group of people they already knew the year before.

11. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Sorry Dude,gotta stand by my previous post.Maybe a solo act would work better?Oh yeah,nice pants.

12. Big_Bend

That is not me and those aren't my pants. That is my friend playing his personally signed by BB King Lucille guitar. I posted that pic in a "Happy Birthday BB King" thread awhile back.

I do like the pants tho. :D

Yes the initial band had a lot of problems.. But at the time I didn't know that A) the lead singer would be so difficult to work with, B) the acoustic guitar player would not practice, C) the drummer would stay drunk and get worse, and D) the bass player was below average (muddy tone thump thump thump root note only kinda guy).

I learned a lot, and wouldn't make the same mistakes again. Perhaps my saga will help others too.. duno..

Flame away, its all good. :lol:

take care...

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

I guess if I could ask just one question of the OP it would be "are you a mod or a rocker?"

14. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

is your new band by any chance called pinche cabron?

15. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Hmmmm

:rolleyes: ;) :mad: :(

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought it was a funny situation. You never know what you're getting into when you start. If I'd known what was going on behind the scenes in a couple of bands I've been in, I never would have joined.

17. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I still say you would have saved a lot of heartbreak by firing them all at the first jam/practice.

18. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

I think someone is jerking our collective chain.........

19. Drunkinminer

Drunkinminer Tele-Holic

I have a question is your name Axl by any chance?

As for 2011 I'm gonna bet word is going to get around Town and the band will suffer.

Oh and BTW What happens when the son no longer wants to play with "The Old Man". You know what they say about

[​IMG]

20. TEAM LANDRETH

TEAM LANDRETH Tele-Meister

So the OP is 46 and states that he hasn't played in a band or even wanted to play in a band for 20 years. He was 26 when he stopped playing professionally. ( I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was never a pro..)

After reading how he carved up an existing band because he was so very qualified is probably the reason he hasn't played in 20 years. Starting a post about it and letting us know how cool he handled the situation is very telling. Either it's a joke on us, or he doesn't realize how much of a humanitarian he is.

Dude, I think your hat band is too tight. In my humble opinion, of course.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.