1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I joined a band, took over, then fired everybody

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Big_Bend, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

What he said.After all,this was (allegedly) a complete band,so what does the OP play? Spoons? Harmonica? Accordion?

Banjo?

2. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

... and humble!

3. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think he was too harsh...the band are lucky he didn't sack them immediately after they invited him in.

Now that would have been hardcore!

4. djangomango

djangomango Tele-Holic

I might be interested. I'm propably the best drummer you will find in the galaxy. If you find someone who claims to be better than me he just doesn't know any better.

Anyway there might be a minor thing thoug nothing serious: I've never hold those sticks a drummer uses in my life and I have trouble with keeping the right rhythm. My left arm is numb and left leg is paralized due to an accident 6 years ago. That accident caused some serious hearing problems and sleeping issues (I'm always late). I also hate noise, that gives me a terrible headache that lasts for weeks so please be quiet when you're around me.

Leave me a PM if you're interested.

5. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

From the moment you said you didn't like the orig guitarists gear, I took their side.

It does seem like a joke post though. I wonder about your admirers! :lol:

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Is this the band in its current configuration?

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Yeah, R&B- Rhythm an' Business...

8. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This reminds me of that Old West tale of John Harding, who was said to be "So mean, he shot a man for snoring." :lol:

9. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Dear Big Bend,

Congratulations on your success.

All my best,

Yoko

10. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

This post gets my vote!
    :cool:

11. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

Dude, you've got to stop. I spit my drink out when ever I come across your posts. :lol:

12. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

The OP reeks of skullduggery. Its almost as if a disgruntled "ex" band mate got ahold of someone's user ID and password hmm?

Notice the flow of the OP, notice how it reads off like a manifesto of planned treachery.. Nobody has an ego that big, and even if they did, they certainly wouldn't brag about it. If you were 16? Maybe, but 46 with nearly 800 posts? nahh...

You need to log off the practice room PC before you go on them beer runs ;)

13. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Then don't read the thread about severed fingers... :lol:

14. WaylonFan76

Dude, I know a guy exactly like that ! He's the general manager of a radio station and brags about firing people all the time. He hired my band to back him up for a show, threw a tantrum like a 5 year old at first practice, was very ugly and rude to us and stormed out. Powertrip. Guess who had to find another band ? He was up a creek but he had no one to blame but himself.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm curious, if you experienced this type of behavior first hand, why were you compelled to 'defend' the OP earlier?

Are the cases different or? I'm trying to understand.

16. scoots

scoots Tele-Holic

let me get this straight, you were offered a position in an exsisting band, destroyed it, and moved on. i'm sorry, have i missed anything? that singer must have had one tremendous ego! well, to compete with yours...............................wow.

17. WaylonFan76

Fair enough.
    I'm not sure the cases are even remotely similar. The guy I'm talking about needed a band to back him up for a show he booked ( without having a band, btw ). He was never invited to be part of the band. He thought hiring us and paying us gave him the right to be ugly, demeaning and an all-around a-hole to us during our first practice with him. He couldn't remember the lyrics to his own original songs, when to come in ( or stay in tune for that matter ) and got frustrated because he argued that WE were not ready for his show when everybody knew their parts and it already sounded pretty good with only a few runs and 3 weeks to go before gig day.
    Anyway, don't want to hijack. The situations are not similar. I was defending OP because I can understand frustrations over bandmates who do not take the band as seriously as you do and don't pull their weight. As for muscling your way in and then proceding to implode the band ...:rolleyes:

18. BrassNut

BrassNut Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

19. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

In an effort to get something out of this thread, which I think this section is all about, I wanted to put forth some observations about band stuff I've learned in the last year (my first as the "bandleader"). FWIW, I'm pretty sure the OP's post is for real, since he commented about firing the drummer in one of my earlier threads.

The biggest mistake I've made the past year as a musician is letting band issues fester. I think we all can agree that you know from the start when a situation is or isn't right for you. However, the mistake I've made is ignoring inherent problems and letting them continue, as if something will get better.

Getting back to the OP. Allen, it appears that your real mistake was agreeing to take on a band situation that wasn't a good fit. I'm guessing you knew up front that there were major issues, but you kept going as if it would fix itself. It turned into one issue after another, and hence the devolution of this thread. I doubt you're as cold as the original post comes across (although I don't know you) but this whole thing could have been avoided if you'd just have walked early on.

Ward

20. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

The original band could describe my band. And this story is a good reminder of what I already know: this is my band.

I had a similar situation with a bass player come in and want to take over. Same story, we need to be more professional, we need to go to the next level, people can't miss practice, drummer needs to change his count ins and endings, maybe new guy and drummer should start practicing at new guys house. About a month of this and my drummer calls to say he is quitting. I said just give me five minutes. I called the new boss, introduced him to the old boss, and fired him immediately. Called the drummer back and all was good.

Trust me OP, if my band isn't good enough for you, then you are moving on to greater things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.