I hit a raccoon with a 2016 VW Passat.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I hit a family of raccoons one night about a block from my house. Took out papa. It bent up my license plate, but no other real damage to my '90 Dodge Caravan.

But I swear that the raccoon family had a picture of me up in their den with the caption, "That's the man who killed your daddy." They started coming around the house a lot after that doing a lot of mischief in our backyard.

2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Where you going with this? Are you suggesting that the widow has a wrongful death claim against Studio1087 (and maybe VW)? Loss of consortium?

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

$2778

I went to a bump shop near my office where we’ve had great service with small bumps and bruises on the kids cars. I thought it would only that center piece of lower grill. I thought they could find that piece used and the whole thing would be $200.

I’m such a dimwit. The guy who owns the shop is great. He lays on the ground and looks under the car.

“Oh boy!”

I’m thinking that “Oh Boy” is never good in these scenarios. o_O

He tore the center grill off the car and handed to me.

“You don’t want this to drop off on the freeway.....lay down here so you can look underneath.....it’s head hit your radiator”. “These VW’s are great runners but they have a lot of plastic sh*t underneath. Raccoons can really break a lot of sh*t.”

It was an unpreventable animal accident so Progressive won’t raise my rates.

If we go by Price is Right Bob Barker rules then 8trackmind won.

Clueless me. I’m like Spicoli in Fast Times ar Ridgemont High. “We can buff that right out. My dad has an awesome set of tools”

4. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

I know one did $3000 damage to our Altima a few years back. Glancing blow doing 70 mph on the interstate.

VW parts are expensive. I guess $4700.

I would have expected the coon to get up, flip you the bird, and waddle off.

studio1087 and Skydog1010 like this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

studio1087, Chunkocaster and Torren61 like this.
  6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

You could have saved 15% if it was a progressive racoon

7. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Up here they're classed as an invasive species and luckily there aren't a lot of them around us

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Body damage from hitting a raccoon? I think the Aussies are way ahead of us on these issues: IMG_4023.JPG

9. graybeard65

graybeard65 TDPRI Member

I was driving a Kia Soul, and hit a deer - Bambi hit the front left side of the car, taking out the headlight and quarter panel, rolled along the side taking out the driver side door and mirror, it’s butt hit the back door, and it clipped the tail light assembly too.

$7,800

Darn right animals can cause a lot more damage than I’d have guessed!

Skydog1010 and studio1087 like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

2k. Bumpers are cheap, so are plastic radiators and used grill parts. The labour to unbolt and bolt on the replacement parts wouldn't be more than a couple hrs work. If they paint the replacement I guess you could add another $300.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  11. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

A fox decided to jump out in front of our 2018 Honda Civic when we had owned the car a total of 54 hours. The total damage came out to just over $1,8000.00. That included having to replace the a/c condenser, which was damaged in the hit.

"Fox on the Run"...no more.

studio1087 and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure that Raccoon wasn't the next night's dinner? WheeDoggie.:lol:
    A couple years ago one of those things tore a 2 foot hole in my neighbors roof. That ended up costing her 7k for a whole new roof since the rest of the roof was a bit too old.:confused:

studio1087 likes this.
  13. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I have a neighbour with one of those.. We live in Sydney.. not much wildlife in Sydney.. One day I'll ask him why he drives such a stupid vehicle..

LeftFinger, Obsessed and studio1087 like this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Late night gig - coming home missus in BMW 118 clocked a wombat in fog following bandmate, it waddled between us. In case you don't know, a wombati is like a rock with legs and steam shovels for paws. They've been known to squash dogs against the roof of their burrows.

We hit it a glancing blow - bang like hitting a foot wide pothole at 40mph. Front wheel rim had wombat hair trapped against tyre, smashed left front driving lamp, broke inner guard and dragged the whole front assembly on it's mounts downward causing a gap to hood and front lights. This was just a half grolwn little'un, probably 20-30lb.

Our very good panel beater unbent all.the flat metal mounts, rewelded the plastic, touched up the Estoril Blue pearl for $600. In all new parts $3-4k. It missed then trans oil cooler and alloy radiator - phew.

Run over a grown wombat - it's been known to pull.the lower front suspension out of a car.

15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I recently saw a deer, slammed on the brakes to a complete stop and the damned thing ran into the side of the car. If I hadn't seen it, all probably would have been good.

Door and fender repair: $0 and the better part of a day.

Skydog1010, Obsessed and studio1087 like this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A pair of unfortnate badgers I hit coming back from a gig at 2am took out the under bumper trim and a fog light of my car.

£0... who needs two fog lights anyway? Battle damage!

I did lose another almost new sports car a few months ago when someone came and hit the back of it when it was parked up. There was the smallest depression in the rear bumper which I could have replaced myself from scrap dealer spares.

Insurance got involved though and took it to their body shop and they WROTE IT OFF for a big number. I really could not believe it. With the bumper stripped off, you could see that it had deformed a 6” area of core bodywork an inch into the spare wheel space. Obviously more work to get sorted than a panel but if I had not reported it I’d be driving it today with a dent hidden under a scrap yard bumper.

I am happy with naturally reliced cars.

studio1087 likes this.
  17. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

Maybe that's why he hit it?

Skydog1010 and studio1087 like this.
  18. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I drove over a 3 - 4 foot African leguaan (monitor lizard) that was lounging on the side of a concrete road. I couldn't avoid it in time because of its light camouflage and both left-side wheels of my Mazda 626 went over its body at around 80 km/h. I went back to see if it was still alive and the thing was gone! I looked around the scrub (very carefully!) but there was no sign of it, tracks, blood, nothing. Tough critter.
    Also ran over a chameleon that scuttled in front of me as I was pulling away from a police checkpoint. Didn't end well; I actually heard it 'pop'. :(

19. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing that you have spent time abroad, else the deepest East Midlands looks a lot different to what I see driving up and down the M1.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.