I hit 60 and feel the hand of time on my shoulder… anyone else feel a “musical urgency?”

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Someone said, "What's more important than the notes you play are the notes you don't play."
So I quit playing for several years. Now, I think about that when I play. Speed is not for me. Always ask, is what I'm doing musical?

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Yes. Also I find that rehearsing and recording also inspire more songs thereby compounding our “problem”. I have few tunes with subject matters that have freshness dates on them as well because they are political and the clock is ticking! We are rehearsing as a band and working through a few older tunes for recording and it is offering new ideas that fall out of that process. I can be my own worst enemy isolated in a studio trying to make something sound new. Far easier with other people as they ‘hear‘ different things. I have learned to listen to these suggestions and not stick to what I hear. My phone is full of little snippets of various demo grooves basslines and chord progressions. I know we will never get to them all…

I know what you mean. Cover tunes can be fun, I like doing them, but new music is far more interesting, (as long as it’s good) I have quit playing music (for a living) and have quit bands over this before. Nothing wrong with a covers if thats your thing, but sometimes it feels like copying down someone else’s book. Add to this fact the clock is ticking and there only so many weekends remaining…. new urgency.
Ayup... I've got the "phone full of snippets and ideas" -thing going as well. Probably comes as no surprise to you at this point.

Regarding lyrics with best-by-dates... I have some of those(of course) and once I recorded a glorious one, chock full of
cheeky cultural references. I wasn't taking inspiration from these things for my lyrics. Oh no... I dumped the actual references
unfiltered into the lyrics. And it was glorious... for about one or two years. Then the date expired. Today the song is a textbook
example of pure bred cringe! It's something I wish I never recorded. I've toyed with the idea of recording an edited version
where the offending rap(oh.. I didn't mention that either, did I?) with all the expired references would be bypassed and deleted
and never talked about again. Just saying... be careful and neutral in your lyrics because there's plenty of stuff that can
be really fun but have the shelf life of an average banana.

Then, regarding you and the band "never getting to them all"...
Ok. Now that you've realized that; record them yourself. Consider it your "solo album".
At least they'll be recorded.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Yup.
60 hit me 5 years ago.
I hit it back, so it’s insulting me by making me tired, lately.
Because I gig often, I get to express myself, but it’s never “my” music.
I have a few songs I need to record.
A good album’s worth.
I just never get around to doing it.
I’ve been on over thirty albums and recording projects for my friends.
I play guitar, bass, percussion, and sing.
I’ve written and co-written 50-ish songs.
One or two are pretty good, IMO.
Time’s a waistin’.
I better get it done, while I still can.
Do this! You’ll regret it if you don’!!

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've never given it a second thought , never been 65 before looking forward to the adventure , dont feel old but my body dissagrees , love the sunrises and the sun sets and my naps inbetween! LOL , I'll grow old when I get there.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m only 52, but my best friend, drummer and main collaborator is two decades older.

Earlier this year, his 32-year-old stepdaughter died suddenly—no previous heath problems, just a sudden aortic dissection (the same thing that killed John Ritter), only days after giving birth to the baby girl she always wanted.

We both feel the need to get our stuff—mine, his and ours—recorded as quickly as we can before something unexpected happens.

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
I've felt the urge to record and perform just to get the stuff out there before I die.

It doesn't matter, though. The musical futility of a 50-something dad doesn't have an impact on anyone.

Truth be told, I'm ready to go now. Just gotta hang around long enough to get the kids on their own.

danielreid27

Tele-Afflicted
Yepper...66 & knowing I'm just a mere mortal having some fun with my guitars & flyrods.
I reckon when I hit the clay I'll be in hot company where I'm bound...😈