I hit 60 and feel the hand of time on my shoulder… anyone else feel a “musical urgency?”

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
I started feeling that a few years ago, compounded by the fact that I could not find musicians that had the same vision I did. Fortunately, I'm in a good band situation now at 55. Some of it was knowing that I spent years learning an instrument and didn't want to leave this earth without something left behind to show for it.

jumpnblues

Friend of Leo's
Yes. I'm 72 going on 73 and all my musical life I've wanted to be a really competent jazz guitarist. I don't know why I waited so long to get serious about it. I'm working on it fairly intensely right now. It's going OK and I am progressing. I especially like chord melody jazz. But I also find it's the most challenging style of jazz to learn.

I'm just trying to jump through all the necessary musical hoops and slog through all the stuff you have to negotiate to just begin to sound like a jazz guitarist. Those hoops include a healthy dose of jazz/music theory.

I think being a good jazz guitar player is realistic and within reach for me. But I feel this urgency to be a great jazz player.....NOW. I know it's a cliché but I'm not getting any younger.

I'm not new to guitar. I've played guitar professionally, semi-professionally, and now as a serious hobbyist, for 60+ years. But I am new to jazz and jazz/music theory. So, I'll just keep my nose to the grind stone. I have to keep in mind that every single jazz master was a novice at some point in time.

My mother lived to be almost 99 and lived independently right up to her death. My father only lived to 67 but he was a life long heavy smoker. I've never smoked and I'm very healthy, as far as I know.

Anyway, the only choice I have if I want to be a good jazz player is to work hard at it with whatever time I have remaining. I love jazz so I'm very motivated. I just hope I get a good amount of time to enjoy my playing. If I don't, then it's irrelevant whether I'm a good jazz player or not.

Last edited:

borducks

TDPRI Member
yes, and though I'm behind several posters here, I've suddenly felt a strong need to give more attention to the craft of musicisianship -- composing and performance. It's also made me bolder about expanding what I dive into and attempt to play. So, basically I'm doing now what I should have been doing in my 20's. LOL. Oh well. Still enjoying every bit of it.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
My life since my 60th, and possibly before, has been a string of ruts. Think you’re still progressing, then realise you’re not. Solos all sound the same, rely on licks and techniques I’ve relied on for years. Decide I’ll make a determined effort to break out and try some new stuff my teacher throws at me. Works for a while but not quite…………….back to my comfort zone. Reckon where I’m at is where I’ll stay.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Life is certainly short. Seems like yesterday I was a teen ready to concur the world with his friends.. Completely different life ago..
You start and raise a family, eek out a ‘career’ in a chosen field and battle life’s onslaught. Then, the kids have kids of their own, priorities change, life takes on a different rhythm…
You suddenly realize you still “have things you want to do, say, musically”.
I have an unease and urgent desire to write, play and record everything I can, while I can. I feel ‘time’ going by.
Inside this fat balding dude is still the kid, but now it’s like every note cast into the ether really needs to count for something..Not “stars in the eyes” stuff, just a building pressure to get them out kinda thing. I‘m not even sure what that means… In the end, those notes fade, nobody cares about them, and life encroaches again… but, I am compelled to cast them out there all the same! .. So many half finished songs, melodies, lyrics etc,.. and so little time left… Do you still have something to say musically? Do you feel any musical urgency? Please elaborate!!

(Sorry for the strange thread, I have had the zombie apocalypse the last two weeks and little sleep, but I am truly curious, its really bugging me)
Politely as possible, Listen😏 Sonny Jim ,I'm, 74 years old so your a youngster to me, yes I am teasing you, and mocking myself.

I quest or sense that you my have woken up one fine warm sunny morning feel rested and fit and walked into the bathroom and , you saw and older man in the mirror not 20 year young stud you were feeling like .
"WHO IN THE HELL IS THAT IN THE MIRROR? WHY"S HE IN THE BATHROOM? ? ?
And you realized it was you, standing there looking at you right here , right now, not the 20 year old that you felt like. Here you were 40 years later Same energy but the waters of time had flowed on and your physical body hand change ,but the you still were feeling the freshness from a good night's sleep, that feels twenty, but it's that feeling in the body of a 60 year old man.
WOW! I got older, one day one hour, one minute, one second at a time. Your body had aged and yet your spirit maintained it's youthful energy and just for moment the aches and pains of the 60 years of life experience had slipped away just for a moment, the moment that you saw the 60 year old in the mirror and thought Who in the hell is that? My Dad, my uncle or grandfather? Just for the briefest moment.
Realizing that I am existing in time and time is passing and I am ageing and I have less time, I used to have a whole life time ahead of me, panick ,I'm running out of time, my life is much shorter and tyheres so much to do, so many things of interest to purse , how can I do all of those thing now that I have so little life left?
All of this is true. It has all been part of my experience, it all really happen .
AND THEN I went on with my life retired after getting stage 3 cancer, received treatment, survived and 12 years past, and here I am the day after my 74th birthday, writing to you and looking forward to eating my dinner burritos fresh from the micro wave excited about trying out my next TWO NOTE speak device tomorrow when my neighbors at work. Relax, there is still time each and every sacred moment of your life is yours to cherish one breath at a time.

And with that and $2.75 you can get an all day bus pass, good until 3:00 a.m. if your a senior ,are you elderly yet?
I am . Elderly gets a bad rap, except pretty girls on the bus get up and offer me their set, young dudes refer to me as sir, 🙄, I guess it's true I've aged and it shows.
peace.
sun 1.jpg

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
To be taken with a grain of salt of course, but now that I’m in the most probable zone I definitely feel some pressure to put something substantial out. Not really for success or anything, just that I’ll probably get worse from here on out and want to capture something good while it lasts.

54576627-25CC-42A0-9436-201B8A8E5534.jpeg

Last edited:

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
. . . I recently decided to record... Well, I shouldn't call it an album, because it's not going to be released on compact disc or vinyl, marketed on iTunes or released in any proper traditional way. It's going to be a collection of songs linked thematically. At best, I will make videos and give them an album sequence playlist on YouTube. . . . The idea is to record scratch tracks with vocals and acoustic with a drum pattern, then do the drums, then the guitars, bass and everything else and, finally, the polished vocals and mixing. That's the plan, anyway. . . . In the end, nobody will care other than me. But that's okay. I'll know that I did this, this is mine, and nobody can take it away from me.
Exactly. That is exactly what I'm doing. If anyone else digs it, great, but there's only one person I need to please with this project.

As for urgency, well, yes, I've now had a number of warnings from the future, so it's time to pull the finger out.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
Urgency? well, not exactly.

A bit ashamed on why I didn't got serious into playing music before.
Finally I did it a few years back, and I am following my own steps from that moment.
I always felt like I had something to say musically.
I am not ready to record yet, but it is definitely my aim.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
If anything...I have gotten even more lazy about it.
I love music and listen to it everyday, all kinds as well.

But I have no urge to get much more done, I am taking it easy....
My wrists also do not like it, not gonna do any repetetive practise stuff ever again!
But my curiosity in music is still pretty much alive.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
you still “have things you want to do, say, musically”.
I have an unease and urgent desire to write, play and record everything I can, while I can. I feel ‘time’ going by.
Inside this fat balding dude is still the kid, but now it’s like every note cast into the ether really needs to count for something..Not “stars in the eyes” stuff, just a building pressure to get them out kinda thing. I‘m not even sure what that means… In the end, those notes fade, nobody cares about them, and life encroaches again… but, I am compelled to cast them out there all the same! .. So many half finished songs, melodies, lyrics etc,.. and so little time left… Do you still have something to say musically? Do you feel any musical urgency? Please elaborate!!
Exactly all of this!
Except for passing along my genes, my music is the only legacy I will ever have.
I'll hit your age soon enough and during 2020 and 2021 I recorded two(2) songs. One per year. And I can feel my
pace winding down with alarming speed. I have like 7 albums worth of written(but not recorded) songs as well as oodles
of half finished ones. I just want to get it all recorded before... before... my studio time's up.
There's even two whole concept albums in that bunch!
I'll never tour the world but having the music recorded gives it an albeit slim, but still a chance to be heard by someone.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Because I gig often, I get to express myself, but it’s never “my” music.
I have a few songs I need to record.
A good album’s worth.
I just never get around to doing it.
This is one of the(many) reasons I quit the cover bands I was playing in.
If I've managed to claw myself bloody excavating some space for music in my schedule I really didn't
feel like wasting it on something that's not "mine", though to be fair some of those cover gigs were a bit fun.

I read somewhere something to the effect of:
"Make sure to build your own dreams. Otherwise you will be hired by somebody to build theirs."

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Exactly all of this!
Except for passing along my genes, my music is the only legacy I will ever have.
I'll hit your age soon enough and during 2020 and 2021 I recorded two(2) songs. One per year. And I can feel my
pace winding down with alarming speed. I have like 7 albums worth of written(but not recorded) songs as well as oodles
of half finished ones. I just want to get it all recorded before... before... my studio time's up.
There's even two whole concept albums in that bunch!
I'll never tour the world but having the music recorded gives it an albeit slim, but still a chance to be heard by someone.
Yes. Also I find that rehearsing and recording also inspire more songs thereby compounding our “problem”. I have few tunes with subject matters that have freshness dates on them as well because they are political and the clock is ticking! We are rehearsing as a band and working through a few older tunes for recording and it is offering new ideas that fall out of that process. I can be my own worst enemy isolated in a studio trying to make something sound new. Far easier with other people as they ‘hear‘ different things. I have learned to listen to these suggestions and not stick to what I hear. My phone is full of little snippets of various demo grooves basslines and chord progressions. I know we will never get to them all…
This is one of the(many) reasons I quit the cover bands I was playing in.
If I've managed to claw myself bloody excavating some space for music in my schedule I really didn't
feel like wasting it on something that's not "mine", though to be fair some of those cover gigs were a bit fun.

I read somewhere something to the effect of:
"Make sure to build your own dreams. Otherwise you will be hired by somebody to build theirs."
I know what you mean. Cover tunes can be fun, I like doing them, but new music is far more interesting, (as long as it’s good) I have quit playing music (for a living) and have quit bands over this before. Nothing wrong with a covers if thats your thing, but sometimes it feels like copying down someone else’s book. Add to this fact the clock is ticking and there only so many weekends remaining…. new urgency.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
my musical urgency is getting a recording set up at home. not for me as such but i want to record me playing music with my kids while they are still kids.
My wife had this foresight as well with both our kids and grandkids and they are priceless!! I hope you are able to get those recordings!!

Srini

TDPRI Member
Life is certainly short. Seems like yesterday I was a teen ready to concur the world with his friends.. Completely different life ago..
You start and raise a family, eek out a ‘career’ in a chosen field and battle life’s onslaught. Then, the kids have kids of their own, priorities change, life takes on a different rhythm…
You suddenly realize you still “have things you want to do, say, musically”.

(Sorry for the strange thread, I have had the zombie apocalypse the last two weeks and little sleep, but I am truly curious, its really bugging me)
At 67, I know exactly what you're saying. While my playing is limited to recording and just playing around the house, I totally relate to the unfinished songs and the perceived lack of time left to do things. Luckily, neither you (I hope!) nor I are dependent on music for an income, so we can either play or not, record or not, gig or not.

My situation arrived with a bang late last year in the form of such extreme and debilitating tendonitis in my right hand that I couldn't lift a bottle of water or open door knobs. The whole hand became practically unusable. After several weeks of PT, I was told to lay off the guitar for almost 6 months. Now, the pain is gone, but so is most of my picking speed and strength. I feel compelled to quote your bolded line, "Do you still have something to say musically?", and elaborate on it's other meaning. Since I'm forced to play a whole lot slower now (and usually for no more than 20 minutes in a straight-backed chair before I need a long break), every note has to count for a lot more than it did before. It's wonderful to be forced to discover that musicality has a dimension beyond chops.

You didn't need this long story, but I'm with you, is what I guess I'm trying to say!

Srini