I hit 60 and feel the hand of time on my shoulder… anyone else feel a “musical urgency?”

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Life is certainly short. Seems like yesterday I was a teen ready to concur the world with his friends.. Completely different life ago..
You start and raise a family, eek out a ‘career’ in a chosen field and battle life’s onslaught. Then, the kids have kids of their own, priorities change, life takes on a different rhythm…
You suddenly realize you still “have things you want to do, say, musically”.
I have an unease and urgent desire to write, play and record everything I can, while I can. I feel ‘time’ going by.
Inside this fat balding dude is still the kid, but now it’s like every note cast into the ether really needs to count for something..Not “stars in the eyes” stuff, just a building pressure to get them out kinda thing. I‘m not even sure what that means… In the end, those notes fade, nobody cares about them, and life encroaches again… but, I am compelled to cast them out there all the same! .. So many half finished songs, melodies, lyrics etc,.. and so little time left… Do you still have something to say musically? Do you feel any musical urgency? Please elaborate!!

(Sorry for the strange thread, I have had the zombie apocalypse the last two weeks and little sleep, but I am truly curious, its really bugging me)

Last edited:

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup.
60 hit me 5 years ago.
I hit it back, so it’s insulting me by making me tired, lately.
Because I gig often, I get to express myself, but it’s never “my” music.
I have a few songs I need to record.
A good album’s worth.
I just never get around to doing it.
I’ve been on over thirty albums and recording projects for my friends.
I play guitar, bass, percussion, and sing.
I’ve written and co-written 50-ish songs.
One or two are pretty good, IMO.
Time’s a waistin’.
I better get it done, while I still can.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Life is certainly short. Seems like yesterday I was a teen ready to concur the world with his friends.. Completely different life ago..
You start and raise a family, eek out a ‘career’ in a chosen field and battle life’s onslaught. Then, the kids have kids of their own, priorities change, life takes on a different rhythm…
I have an unease and urgent desire to write, play and record everything I can, while I can. I feel ‘time’ going by.
Inside this fat balding dude is still the kid, but now it’s like every note cast into the ether really needs to count for something..Not “stars in the eyes” stuff, building just a pressure to get them out kinda thing. I‘m not even sure what that means… In the end, those notes fade, nobody cares about them, and life encroaches again… but, I am compelled to cast them out there all the same! .. So many half finished songs, melodies, lyrics etc,.. and so little time left… Do you still have something to say musically? Do you feel any musical urgency? Please elaborate!!

(Sorry for the strange thread, I have had the zombie apocalypse the last two weeks and little sleep, but I am truly curious, its really bugging me)

I'm not a songwriter, but I've always felt that my 'mission' is that of a musical conduit, or messenger-

I love to play and gig all kinds of 'guitar music' ( acoustic/electric R&R, blues, folk, Country- playing in various, small local groups)

And at almost 64, keeping great old music alive is perhaps an obsession, but it's also my income!

So 'till death do us part!'- gotta play!

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Yup.
60 hit me 5 years ago.
I hit it back, so it’s insulting me by making me tired, lately.
Because I gig often, I get to express myself, but it’s never “my” music.
I have a few songs I need to record.
A good album’s worth.
I just never get around to doing it.
I’ve been on over thirty albums and revording projects for my friends.
I play guitar, bass, percussion, and sing.
Time’s a waistin’.
I better get it done, while I still can.
This. People have been after me for years to record myself, and I just never have gotten around to it. I have access to a studio, drummer, bass, and I could do all the guitar parts. I just haven't.

The other thing is, I want to play fiddle onstage for at least a song or two, and I'm terrified of doing so. With a little practice I can manage several Bob Wills numbers, and some Ray Price intros for instance, but I just can't bring myself to show up with the instrument. Maybe someday.

kuch

Tele-Afflicted
You guys are still young but you're right, things seem to move pretty quickly these days. I really don't feel an "urgency" but, I have started to put together some recordings of my favs and someday will hand out copies to my kids and grandkids. Work in progress.....

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
My playing peaked in my forties. Today I don't play nearly as well but I'm still writing songs as good as I ever have, play 6 and 12 string electric and acoustic guitars, banjo and keyboards and maintain the same level of interest in music I've always had. An interesting side note is I now have a condition where my hands shake. Especially the left hand. Yet .... when I pick up a guitar or banjo and start playing the shaking just stops. Take a break and pick up a glass of whatever and the hands are displaying tremors. Go back to playing and the tremors disappear.

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
Inside this fat balding dude is still the kid, but now it’s like every note cast into the ether really needs to count for something..Not “stars in the eyes” stuff, just a building pressure to get them out kinda thing. I‘m not even sure what that means… In the end, those notes fade, nobody cares about them, and life encroaches again… but, I am compelled to cast them out there all the same! .. So many half finished songs, melodies, lyrics etc,.. and so little time left… Do you still have something to say musically? Do you feel any musical urgency? Please elaborate!!

I certainly did at 60 and am still working on it. Not nearly as much as I should but still trying. I bought a classical Taylor, Epi ES339 and a '69 Thinline MIM reissue ( not made in USA then). I'll be 68 next week.

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow! This is what I was hoping to see!! This actually hit me the last time I was able to play anywhere live (2019) Just a impromptu set of mostly blues/rock tunes with a friend’s band. Great night, fun familiar crowd, it was raining so the doors to the little club were open. Occasionally I could hear the sound of my guitar (and hihat lol) against the buildings across the shiny, empty street. It struck me how ethereal it all is. When I say casting notes into the ether, thats the experience I am referring to. In the end it seems to mean nothing to anyone, but has such weight and importance to us. It just is what it is. Every note has taken on an importance (to my wife and I) it’s never had before.

Last edited:

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I turned 70 this year, so I get it. I’m at peace with my age because I’m feeling pretty good and I can do a lot of the things I always did. I don’t really wish I was younger, but I do wish I had more time - those aren’t necessarily the same thing. I enjoy music more than ever and have been recording my own stuff more than I used to. I don’t really feel any urgency about it and I don’t care if anyone ever hears any of it; I just enjoy the solo creative process these days. I’ve always recorded as a collaborative effort, but the freedom of editing, rewriting, and deleting the obvious crap without discussion pushes me creatively and is a huge time saver. I’m still in a band so I also have the joy of creating with my friends once a week. Bottom line is that I’m in a good place, and I hope to stay there for quite awhile. Life changes in an instant, so be happy with it while you can.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I felt it at 46 and realized I had set guitar/music/performing down in my 20s for a bunch of dumb reasons. I knew I was never as good as people told me but didn't want to put in the work to get really competent, with a real understanding of the thing.

Over the past five years, thanks in large measure to this site, I've learned a lot of that properly and can play things I thought were black magic (jazz, western swing). Feels like I climbed a mountain, and there's no question if I'm competent now, but I've lost urgency about what to "do" with it apart from enjoying it in my home.

I go to bars and clubs where people play here and that's not for me. I comb craigslist 'ISO musicians' regularly, and Bandmix sometimes, and it's the same ads over and over ("we play blues, classic rock, and some country," "Americana, like Grateful Dead"). No interest in going to open mics, I can sing and play but don't have any real interest in practicing up to doing it solo. Ditto "jams."

It's a pickle. Better than I've ever been and no outlet that appeals to me. /whinge

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I am 56. I've felt this musical sense of urgency for probably the last 10 years or so.
I've got some cool musical things accomplished -a bucket list I created when I was around 20 was to play ONE TIME in a band at some VFW or whatever, and I've far surpassed what I'd dared to dream from back then.

I am pretty quickly frustrated when musical colleagues have a seeming attitude that there is all the time in the world for everything (because there simply is not), or otherwise stand in the way of my aspirations for the given project, which are usually simply to see that it at least approaches the level of promise/potential that I see within it.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
At 74 it is always present. I am fortunate to have time and a pretty good at-home setup. I play, record and video my stuff. Mostly to punish friends and relatives, but it least I can see my progress or lack of progress. I strive to continue improving and learning.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Age 60 cut interest to to get better with music and put physical activities front and center. Music is a sit or stand thing for me. I see lots of 70-80 year olds who can do that but not so many who are riding bikes and skis in expert terrain or for drop in or hang time. Doing active stuff with family is a factor too.

Any biological clock ticking stuff here is all about keeping endurance and sharpness for stuff age will kill before it will hurt making music.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
at times I wish i'd taken the time to develop (for example) slide skills or actual travis technique, instead of being sort of only able to barely fake it at those things
plus doghouse bass, boogie woogie piano, mando/octave mando, and of course BAGPIPES
there's still retirement, i suppose.
ha.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I really enjoy playing my buddy's tunes (which are excellent) and versions of forgotten material, from pre-1960. I keep promising to add a couple of songs, from my fat folder of compositions- but never do. This has to change.
I'd also like to assemble a large band, to pay homage to Muddy's great '50s ensembles. If I never get around to organising that, it'll be my only musical regret.

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Just last night, I was at a memorial service for a long time friend. The bell curve approaches. Just turned 70 this year.

The good news: I learned more in my 50-60’s era than any previous period, having started at 14. That trend keeps up, mostly. The convergence of comprehension and the joy of playing.

I always was a composer of sorts, but writing lyrics seemed unimaginably difficult.

Well, Duh - you gotta do it every chance you get and maybe you improve. Sometimes a song is a cheap and easy date and many times, it requires some real thought, attention and so forth. Everyone has their own trail for this - reading good novelists/fiction/poetry became inspirational for me, ymmv blah blah blah.

Manual dexterity, yeah, you’ll lose some. Gravity will have its way.

But I just put together the best band I’ve ever been in. We’ll be doing all originals and we’re all excited. The bass player, maybe not quite so - he plays for two other bands, jazz dude, clean, tight wonderful- his plate is full, he just wants to see where this goes. First real full gig coming Sept. 1 and we’re even getting a tiny bit of local radio promo (an interview) for that.

Just grateful. Every morning I wake up. As I sit here, typing this stuff. Reminded of Warren Zevon, whose ride showed up way too soon. Enjoy every sandwich.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Life changes in an instant, so be happy with it while you can.

THIS 👆

I've told this story out here before but: About 1.5 years ago I was helping my rock n roll guitar god buddy clean out his garage. He has toured with some of the greatest artists, and retired about 5 years ago. I've known him for near 30 years. Anyway, I come across this box and it's full of old 10" reels. I said to him "Man, what's this all about?" He says "Oh! Those. Yeah, those are all original songs I wrote and recorded on my old TEAC, back in the late 60's/early 70's." I said "What??? You never told me about this stuff! I want to hear em! How can we do that?" Of course his TEAC was long gone, but I had to hear em. So.... me and another buddy decided we'd locate a good TEAC and get it for him for his 70th birthday ;)

Long story short - We pulled the old songs off those reels, digitized them, and are now using those old recordings as a baseline in re-recording them in the studio and doing things with them never done before! It's miraculous and a heck of a lot of fun and I believe some of the songs, had they ever been released back in the day, would've been hits. Point is - None of us are getting any younger and this is our driver, to get the songs out there to the world for posterity sake, cause we don't know what the future may bring i.e. live life and be thankful for each day, and take advantage of time :cool:

Last edited: