1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I haven't touched my electric guitars in weeks!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sbpark, Apr 6, 2015.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Several weeks ago I bought myself an early birthday present from Wildwood guitars. Picked up a new J45 Standard. In all the years I've been playing I've owned several (what I consider to be) nice electrics, but never had an honest to goodness "nice' acoustic.

Since picking up the J45 it's all I've been playing non-stop. I've been meaning to take it into the shop and just have it tweaked with a set up and a new bone but, but really don't want to part with it for a week! The techs at wildwood did a wonderful set up on it, but still needs a fine-tuning, some very minor fret dressing, etc.

Since I have the acoustic bug now, I also traded a Bassman Reissue LTD that I've had a love/hate relationship with toward a new Martin 000-15M. Really wonderful guitar in it's own right, but still can't touch the J45!

My electrics are all jealous!

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It has happened to me too, so don't despair. I think it is only natural to go through these phases.

Beware though, don't sell off other gear when going through these episodes.

3. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

A 000-15M is on my GAS list. Doesn't the J45 already have a bone nut?

4. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I got a new Taylor a few months ago and now my Tele only comes out at church or at band practice.

5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

J-45s are hard to beat. I've only owned four acoustic guitars in my life, and three of them were J-45s. Enjoy your new guitar. I think you'll find when you return to your electrics, you'll have a new approach to them.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

When I'm home, my J-45 isn't too far from me. I rarely play my electrics at home. About the only time I play electric is at rehearsal and gigs. When you get your hands on a good acoustic, it's hard to put down.

7. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I just had my Taylor 310 ce fret dressed and "tuned-up". It was purchased in new 2004. The Tech who did the work is excellent. He lowered the action just a little as well. Can't put it down!

8. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Last fall I went down to the shop for my weekly browse. Walked out with a J35. Had no premeditation about it. I only asked to see it because it had the old script logo on the headstock. I couldn't put it down. It chose me.

9. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just recently bought a Martin 000 MMV Custom and have barely touched anything else at all since.
    I discovered the thing just really sings in open tunings, especially open D which I've never really messed much with. I think it'll stay in that for a good long time. Fingerstyle heaven for me!
    Everything else is super jealous right now.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Picked up j45 1995 last week....tone is all there. ...imho

11. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have a 78 Fender F-65 that rarely gets played. I got on trade a few years ago for a Telefunkin 12ax7 preamp tube.

The guy that I made the trade with is an old hippie and he loved the guitar and played it well, even though the action was sky high.

The poor guy had to get a ride to my house just to make the trade. He had just become interested in tube amps, and had totally bought in to the hype of old NOS tubes.

I, have felt guilty about that deal to this day. The look in his eyes when he handed that old F65 to me haunts me sometimes.

At the time, I saw the guitar as an unplayable POS. The area under the bridge had bowed making the action higher but, since this guy had had the guitar since 78, he never noticed the difference.

Anyway, a simple bridge shave ( 5 min with a piece of sandpaper) made it easy to play.

I just watched " The Big Labowski" again, yesterday, and that, ending song in the credits "Dead Flowers" The Townes Van Zant version.

Well, it made me want to play that old neglected 78-F 65.

12. kromanomo

kromanomo Tele-Afflicted

I haven't played my acoustic in at least a month. It's only an Ibanez AC, maybe if I had a Gibson or Martin it would be a different situation. Lately I can't get enough of my 68 Gretsch or partscaster Tele.

13. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I've been going through that a bit myself. But then again, I do that every year or so.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Change your order and get the 12 fret 000-15M.

Much nicer guitar and would be a better compliment to the J-45

15. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

There is no 000-15M 12 fret. Are you talking about the 000-15SM? Better is subjective, plus I already own a 000 12 fretted from another builder.

Both the 000-15M and 000-15SM are Martins and of the same line and the same level of workmanship. both have their own sound. Better for you may not be better for someone else.

And how would that guitar better compliment a J45 better than a 000-15M?! Both Martins are nothing like, or even remotely close to a J45, so either one would be a nice addition for something completely different for someone who has a J45.

16. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

No, the J45 standard has a Graph Tech nut.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

J45 TV models have bone, std have graph tech.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's really nothing like playing a nicely set up, high quality acoustic guitar. I don't currently own an electric, and have gone long stretches without doing so. When not playing in a band, I don't really care that much about playing electric anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.